IGNORED

‘17 Wethead Musings

Rinkydink

Between work, a rear flat at 160 miles, and two weeks of solid rain I have finally been able to put a few miles on my new bike.

A few thoughts...It is my third RT and I'm a happy guy.

The stock windshield just didn't work for me and with Cee Bailey kaput I reached out to Terry at Werks and decided on the 26” tinted unit. I'm 5'11” and am glad I got the 26”. There were initial troubles with fitment which after t/w Terry were alleviated (my fault) and I couldn't be happier. The difference was astounding. Pure perfection. 32 degrees every morning this week on my commute and with the new shield installed this morning was perfect.

For some reason BMW seats and I have never gotten along so I've already placed my RDL order with a production date of July 3rd. Going to be a rough ride until then.

Shift assist is an option I didn't really think I wanted but after further review it works really well on up and downshifts in higher gears. I haven't really got the hang of lower gear up shifts to date so the jury is still out. Are my days of blipping the throttle on downshifts really over? This goes against everything I ever learned growing up racing and riding bikes but time will tell.

Still getting the hang of the menu and “wonderwheel” setup, while the turn signal thing is giving me fits.

Heading back to the dealer to pick up my Akropovic slip on and Illium engine guards soon. If the back seat gets as hot as the front I figure I can strap a pork loin on in aluminum foil and after the 2 hour ride it'll be done to a turn.

At only 420 😜 miles I still can't really flog the motor yet but it has obviously got a lot more pep in its step so to speak.

Overall I am amazed at what 8 years of BMW's engineers have accomplished. Stay tuned.

Linc, glad you like the 26"!

The Wonderwheel takes a while to get the feel of how to use it. But you will get there and won't want to turn back.

Signal lights? Well, look at it this way, you can ride 99% of the other motorcycles in the world and not have to figure out how to use the $%^& turn signal switches once you get used to these!

Wait till you can roll the throttle on in second gear and take it to redline the first time. You won't believe the power!

...Wait till you can roll the throttle on in second gear and take it to redline the first time. You won't believe the power!

2nd gear is sweet.

I've got a 2016, and just had the 12k service done. I traded in an '09 RT. I still can't believe the difference between the two bikes. I also have Terry's windshield and could not be happier. I appreciate that he answered the phone, and spent time helping decide which size to get. I use the clutch less shifting a lot. It took a while to break in, but it's like butter now. I mostly up shift, it seems to take a little more concentration to down shift. The manual says the bike will blip the throttle by itself, but it's never done it for me. Anyone have input on clutch less down shifting ? Linc, you will love the responsive power. I use the wonder wheel all the time, no problem once you know how it works. I programmed mine to show the menu with temp, tire pressure, fuel range, etc so I can quickly check those things. I also have a Russel Day Long, love it. I noticed the heated seat warms up almost immediately after I got the new seat. Spring is around the corner, have fun on the bike!

...Wait till you can roll the throttle on in second gear and take it to redline the first time. You won't believe the power!

2nd gear is sweet.

+10

The front tire gets really light in 1st & 2nd going WFO and would get airborne except the computer keeps things pretty civilized with the tire just skimming the tarmac. Turn off stability control and the wethead RT can do power wheelies. I did it once with stability control turned off and it surprised me when it launched right up with the gas tank smacking into my beer belly which I responded to by chopping the throttle and squid land the front wheel. Glad none of my riding buddies were around to see that display of amateur riding. From that point on I just leave that computer riding heard over my ham fist!!

Bill_Walker
I mostly up shift, it seems to take a little more concentration to down shift. The manual says the bike will blip the throttle by itself, but it's never done it for me. Anyone have input on clutch less down shifting ?

It only works with the throttle (twistgrip) completely closed, but it does a very nice job then. But be really sure you want to be in that gear with the throttle completely closed! I find it's great when coming to a stop or a speed limit reduction, but in spirited riding on a twisty road I had the back end step out on me a couple of times before deciding that a fully closed throttle wasn't really what I wanted going into those corners, even if I was choosing the correct gear for exiting the corners. So I've given up using it for downshifts in the twisties.

I really like the clutchless upshifting when passing cars, trucks or RVs on a two-lane road, though!

Edited by Bill_Walker

The SAP won't work if you move the throttle, it doesn't need to have a closed throttle on a down shift, only a still throttle. It will also only blip the throttle "just enough" for the shift, which is probably much less than a average rider would. The computer knows exactly what speed increase is needed to shift , up or down. The problem in first or second shifts is probably caused by the shift speed limits, where the RPM's are only allowed to drop so much during an up shift. On down shifts you can shift all the way to first and the throttle will blip just the right amount.

The workings of the "Shift Assistant Pro" are available in your owners manual. In my copy on page 108.

Edited by S/W

Here are two extracts from the Rider's Manual for my '15 GSA, with Gear Shift Assist Pro:

- "Throttle does not have to be closed when changing gear under acceleration."

- "During deceleration and downshifts (throttle plate closed) the system blips the throttle to obtain the correct engine speed."

There always seems to be an ongoing debate over whether the throttle must be closed on downshifts. I've always interpreted the wording in the manual (above) as requiring the throttle to be closed ("...throttle plate closed...") for downshifts.

Edited by marcopolo

Gear Shift Assistant Pro provides shifts that are both convenient and dynamic. While originally developed for competition, the Gear Shift Assistant Pro now features greater functionality to adapt it to touring use. In virtually all engine speed ranges and under almost any load, it allows up shifts and downshifts without any need for the rider to operate the clutch or change throttle position.

Notes:

â—¾No assist for gearshifts is provided under the following conditions:â—¾ Shifting with the clutch disengaged

â—¾Up shifts with the throttle closed (coasting) or when decelerating

â—¾The shift lever is not in its neutral position before starting a shift

â—¾The system supports downshifts with an open throttle, but the shift quality is influenced by sudden or jerky throttle-on and throttle-off changes in lower gears

â—¾Shifts performed without disengaging the clutch in low gears at high engine RPM's may be accompanied by substantial torque reaction during power transitions. BMW Motorrad recommends that the clutch is used to perform shifts under these operating conditions. Riders should avoid using the Gear Shift Assistant Pro at engine RPM's approaching the engine's rev limit.

Does anyone know if you can check the status of Gear Shift Assist with the GS911wifi? Is it a feature that has to be activated by the dealer?

My 2018 R1200RT has it listed as one of the options included.

But maybe I am having a different problem, as the clutchless shifting works great, up and down until about 30 to 50 miles into the ride.

Then upshifting becames a gamble, sometimes it works, other times it's balky and feels notchy. Downshifting is usually good all day all the way from 6 to 1st gear. As long as I roll back the throttle all the way.

I do have at once every ride a problem down shifting from 4th to 3rd gear. On Saturday I had one case where I made four attempts with and without clutch, before I was able to force the transmission into a lower gear. Then the rest of the ride no problem. ???????

I also can not duplicate it.

Does anyone know if you can check the status of Gear Shift Assist with the GS911wifi? Is it a feature that has to be activated by the dealer?

But maybe I am having a different problem, as the clutchless shifting works great, up and down until about 30 to 50 miles into the ride.

Then upshifting becames a gamble, sometimes it works, other times it's balky and feels notchy. Downshifting is usually good all day all the way from 6 to 1st gear. As long as I roll back the throttle all the way.

I do have at once every ride a problem down shifting from 4th to 3rd gear. On Saturday I had one case where I made four attempts with and without clutch, before I was able to force the transmission into a lower gear. Then the rest of the ride no problem. ???????

Bernie,

It can be a dealer add on but your bike sounds like it was equipped new from BMW. My 14 also equipped new. I'd have the dealer look at your issue. Others have said it, up-shifting keep the throttle open and steady when shifting, downshifting close throttle. Once you use it you'll love it. I've heard some say they'd never use it but once they have it becomes part of the ride : ).

Good luck

Jay

Bernie,

It can be a dealer add on but your bike sounds like it was equipped new from BMW. My 14 also equipped new. I'd have the dealer look at your issue. Others have said it, up-shifting keep the throttle open and steady when shifting, downshifting close throttle. Once you use it you'll love it. I've heard some say they'd never use it but once they have it becomes part of the ride : ).

Good luck

Jay

Jay, it's great when i can get it to work. But after 5,000 miles I figured it should start wearing in.

Maybe I am not keeping the throttle steady during some of the up shifting. I will try again this weekend.

Bernie,

Your vintage RT should have the latest software so that should not be an issue. You do have to be very conscious of not having your foot deflect the shift lever even slightly between shifts or the computer will not execute if it senses any shift lever deflection from the resting position. That said I found that downshifts can be a bit disconnected from when I say do it and the computer executing the down shift. For that reason I tend not to use it as much for downshifts, particularly when riding frisky.

Edited by Paul De

If you have a GS-911 you can reset the SAP.

I have had discussions and people argue with me but first hand experience with a 16 GS proofed out to me and it's owner it needs to be reset this way to be correct.

We went to a back road, I reset his SAP, he took off and ran all 6 gears for 10 seconds, pulled of the road and chopped the motor. We let it set a few minuets after we heard the can bus shut down, restarted it and it was like butter for him. 2 dealers did this before we did and it was never correct.

The issue I think is they do it on the center stand. I was told by a master tech that you MUST run the bike so it sees the front wheel is moving just as in the ABS lights going off at a specific distance.

So long answer yes a GS-911 will allow you to reset your SAP.

A good shop will do any updates and train your SAP properly for 25 bucks or so.

Edited by LAF