IGNORED

White Smoke (maybe very light blue?)

Sound Guy

I just finished a 50,000 km (35,000 mile) tune up on my new (to me) R1200ST. The only things I did that were internal were to adjust the valves, replace spark plugs and clean the K&N filter, but I did have to remove the tank to do the brake fluid flush.

Now that it is back together, I started her up and she seems to run fine, except that when the engine gets warm it blows white smoke, not a thick cloud but still very noticeable. This is not condensation as the smoke was too thick for the air temperature at the time. Since there is no coolant in a Hexhead, I have ruled that out. I'm not sure if over-oiling a K&N filter would cause smoke, or what colour that smoke would be, so I am asking the community. Lastly, could I have done something during the valve adjustment or tank installation that might have caused this? (There are no errors on the GS-911)

I just finished a 50,000 km (35,000 mile) tune up on my new (to me) R1200ST. The only things I did that were internal were to adjust the valves, replace spark plugs and clean the K&N filter, but I did have to remove the tank to do the brake fluid flush.

Now that it is back together, I started her up and she seems to run fine, except that when the engine gets warm it blows white smoke, not a thick cloud but still very noticeable. This is not condensation as the smoke was too thick for the air temperature at the time. Since there is no coolant in a Hexhead, I have ruled that out. I'm not sure if over-oiling a K&N filter would cause smoke, or what colour that smoke would be, so I am asking the community. Lastly, could I have done something during the valve adjustment or tank installation that might have caused this? (There are no errors on the GS-911)

Afternoon Sound Guy

Where do you live (weather wise)?

You might be just burning off crankcase moisture. The hexhead has a crankcase ventilation pump that pumps/vents the crankcase into the air cleaner.

I wouldn't read too much into white smoke until you take the bike for a good high speed run to purge the crankcase & clear the cat.

Thanks DR,

I live in Canada and there is still snow on the ground, but it was melting on that day, so condensate shouldn't have been visible. Condensate was all I could think of too (other than the filter oil or getting oil in the airbox). I plan to do exactly what you suggest in the absence of any other obvious causes in a few weeks when it is safe to ride.

SG, I've never had that smoke from the exhaust on my ST so can't nail down the cause, but I have to say hi as I do my own service on my ST as well. I'll be at the Chateau Beauvallon (with the Rainriders) on May 18th & 19th with my R1200ST for you to check my exhaust at 47,000 miles. :wave:

view?usp=sharing