IGNORED

Trip to Norther Rockies into Canada

cris nitro

Good morning all;

My friends and I are planning a fly and rent out to the Canadian Rockies this summer. We are planning on doing a one week trip. Any suggestions on great destinations, roads, places to rent bikes?

Thank you.

Hi Chris:

Part of your planning has to consider the group size. For groups larger than 4-6, Eagle Rider (HDs )is about your only rental choice. There are small rental companies in Calgary or Canmore that rent a few (like 2-4) BMW's.

There are a couple of larger companies in Vancouver, but then you take a couple of days to get to the Rockies . I don't know the insurance/rental agreement issues with renting in Seattle/Billings/Missoula and crossing into Canada.

Once you decide where you are renting from I can give advice on where not to waste your time in the Rockies.

Mike Cassidy

Thank you, Mike. Looks like we are about 7 guys right now. I did some research, and Eagle Rider does have the most options as far as locations are concerned. Missoula has a Yamaha dealer that rents.

One thing we need to be cognizant about is usually you need to return the bikes to the same location where you started, so that obviously steers the trip route as well. We did the same thing out west 10 years ago and it worked out great, doing San Fran to Yosemite to Lake Tahoe to Oregon and down the PCH to San Fran.

Thanks again and I will come back once I know more about our final destination.

I just rented a bike from eaglerider (totoally different location, but I spent a bunch of time looking at their options). You can do different pick up and drop off locations, but there is a fee (unless they want to move bikes to where you are going) and I believe I saw that they do allow use across the border as long as it is pre arranged. For a group of over five I'd definitely call instead of booking online - I think you can get a deal for a group if you book enough bikes or enough days!

They were really friendly in Vegas even for a total Harley newb. If you have insurance on your own bike call your agent - my coverage covered me fully on the rental. Probably won't for a rental across a border though.

Edelweiss used to offer a service from Missoula that included a cross-border tour, but it looks like that option doesn't exist. They still offer a Canadian Rockies tour out of Vancouver that was very well reviewed in Rider Magazine (link), but it is only offered twice this year. Motorcycle Adventure Tours may be able to work something out, and gives the option of leaving out of Bozeman. Spokane and Boise both have companies that seem to focus on "Adventure" tours but include 1200 & 800 GS's.

Mike Cassidy

If you can get bikes in Missoula, take 93 North. You can go around either side of Flathead lake. The west side has some usual commercial opportunities. The east side does not as it is in an Indian reservation although you'd never know it if there wasn't a sign. At the north end of the lake you get to decide, keep going on 93 or take the loop through Glacier NP. The loop is fun and the road through the park called the Going To The Sun highway is bee ewe tea full. You can circle back around the south side of the park on Hwy 2, then continue N on 93 into Canada. At Radium hot springs you can take a side trip over to Lake Louise. The scenery is V good. Lake Louise and the lodge are as well. The ride north on 93 to Jasper is beautiful, Riding the spine of the continental divide. Lots of granite peaks and a few small glaciers. But there are two buts. It's quite a ways to Jasper and unless you want to back track, hwy 16 and 5 is also a long ride and the scenery is sort of ho hum after what you just rode through. If you don't go to Jasper, from Lake Louise you can proceed west to Golden then over the continental divide to Revelstoke, more gorgeous scenery. At Revelstoke you decide whether to take 97 and 97A down through Kelowna and Penticton which is Canada's version of our wine and fruit country or take 23. If you go 23 to Nakusp take the left at New Denver on 31 to 31A and points south along Kootenay Lake. Before you get to Nelson there will be a choice to proceed to Nelson or get on a free ferry and down to Creston. I recommend the ferry just cuz they are fun and the ride to Nelson is no more/less scenic than the road to Creston. The road to Creston has less traffic. There you have to make more choices, but I'll end it there.

Hope this helps.

Thanks to all who have responded. Looks like the first part will be to hone in rental bikes and then plan the route accordingly.

I'll be back after I get some more rental info.

There was an article in the March 2017 BMW MOA magazine about this. Title was Western Canada, America's Best Kept Secret by Victor Curz #91428. Five guys flew into Seattle, WA and rented bikes from a company called Eagle Rider. It was a short but informative article.

Have you thought about renting on the Canada side? The exchange rate is favorable.

We have decided to fly into and stay in Canada for the full 9 days. Seems like the best option will be to rent bikes in Vancouver and then do a big loop. On the hit list is Kamloops, Lake Louise, Whistler, Glacier Park( maybe), Jasper Park (maybe).

What I really need to do is get a road map of Western Map and physically plot the route with appropriate miles per day and lodging. But looks like the start will be in Vancouver.

Chris:

I think that's a great decision. You may even consider not going as far east as Banff/Lake Louise since there are so many great roads in south & central BC.

Order the Destination Highways companion map +/- book. Sort of the "Butler Maps for Canada".

Head north from Vancouver on BC 99 on the Sea-to-Sky Highway so you get the views of Howe Sound:

SeatoSky_HoweSound.jpg

Then Duffey Lake Road to Lillooet. If it's raining watch out for those wooden bridges, they get pretty slick.

DuffeyLakeRoad1.jpg

Lots of forest fire damage around Lillooet from last year, unfortunately. From there either follow the Fraser Canyon south on BC 12

BC_BC12_Fraser_Canyon1.jpg

or head to Kamloops.

More advice later.

Mike Cassidy

• 2 weeks later...

We decided to fly into Seattle as tickets are 1/2 the price to Vancouver. We have rented from Eagle Rider and will have the bikes for 6 total days. Next is figure our dailey destinations and arrange hotels. We like to ride generally 300 to 400 miles per day, depending on the roads.

Cris, you should have a blast. I rode the Icefields Parkway from Banff to Jasper in 2006, and it was utterly spectacular end to end.

We decided to fly into Seattle as tickets are 1/2 the price to Vancouver. We have rented from Eagle Rider and will have the bikes for 6 total days. Next is figure our dailey destinations and arrange hotels. We like to ride generally 300 to 400 miles per day, depending on the roads.

Must be a seat sale today, I'm seeing same price Washington, DC to Vancouver, BC as Washington, DC to Seattle, WA most days in July & August :) :) :) But I know that changes a lot if leaving from NC.

Anyway, 6 days is going to be a tight itinerary. To really enjoy the interior of BC, 250-300 mile days would be about max. If you really have to get to the Rockies, you will have to spend a day or two on the major highways each way.

Maybe you should limit yourselves to WA & ID? Or just southern BC?

Mike

Cris, you should have a blast. I rode the Icefields Parkway from Banff to Jasper in 2006, and it was utterly spectacular end to end.

Thanks, Seldon.

Mike;

Just spent a little time mapping the first three days. All subject to modification of course.

Day 1; pick up bikes 9am in Seattle, get on the road by 11:00, straight to Vancouver and pick up 99/ Sea to Sky Hgwy and go to Whistler.

Day 2; Whistler to Lillooet, to Kamloops, to Glacier NP.

Day 3; GNP to Lake Louise and then start heading back S/SW towards US and work our way directly to Seattle.

We have 6 total days on bikes and I was thinking Lake Louise has our turn back point.

Are we taking too big of bites? I'm guessing Lillooet to GNP (Route 1) is all highway? We have no problem not going so far east if it means a more pleasant trip. We don't mind slabs, but not the whole time.

Thanks.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Chris

I haven't done those roads, but did research them. If they're like other regions, they can get bogged with construction or traffic. Day 2 might be pushing it.

Also, Day 4 you could take 95 to 93 or 3 and head west out to the Fraser river. 93 will take you across a small border crossing at Roosville. Then cut-over and follow 37 down lake Koocanusa to US 2. You can then pick a number of pretty routes back to Seattle including staying on 2. Many moons ago I drove 3 and it was very pretty.

Chris:

Unfortunately summer is road construction season out west, and right now I can't really tell you where any major delays would be. The other delays are border crossings and getting through urban areas - particularly Vancouver, Everett and Bellingham.

If you hit the border crossing (Blaine,WA - Douglas,BC) at the wrong time it can take 2 hrs. In general it is usually faster via the Truck Route a couple of blocks east, but online info (US Border or Canada Customs) is pretty accurate. It can even take an hour to get through Everett on I-5 from 3-6 pm. Count on 1.5-2 hrs to get through Vancouver (sorry, no HOV lanes or lane-splitting).

Hotel rates in Pemberton or Squamish are (generally) more reasonable than Whistler.

Whistler to Glacier NP would be a stretch. First BC 99 from Pemberton to Lillooet is 60-80 km an hour and you will probably want to stop along Duffey Lake, if not at some of the one-lane bridges. BC 99 Lillooet to Cache Creek is a bit faster, but still 90 kph (55mph). Hwy 1 from Cache Creek to Revelstoke is more reasonable, with more options to stay in Revelstoke. Otherwise you will have to go to Golden for accommodation (there is only camping in the park itself).

Hwy 1 is mostly 2 lanes with some passing lanes, but slows down to 50-60 kph through quite a few of the towns.

Let me work on some options for you. What days are you looking at?

Mike Cassidy

Consider this route:

3000km_Jasper.jpg

Follow the numbers 1 though 20. Three thousand km (1,860 mi) total. One long (800 km/ 500mi) day.

Overnight stays are:

• Winthrop, WA
  • Valemount, BC
  • Lake Louise, AB
  • Revelstoke, BC (but could be Salmon Arm, BC)
  • Squamish, BC (but could be Pemberton, BC)

Highlights:

• Gets you out of Seattle and into the mountains fast (unless you are looking at a Friday, in which case you're screwed anyway)
  • Reasonable 4 hr 1st riding day
  • Hwy 97 (Blewitt Pass)
  • WA 20 Winthrop to Sedro-Wooley (Washington Pass)
  • Quieter border crossing at Sumas/Huntingdon
  • Ride the Coquihalla and try to imagine what it's like in winter (ever watch "Highway thru Hell"?)
  • Still get to Jasper and Lake Louise
  • side trips to Emerald Lake and Mt Revelstoke Meadows
  • Howe Sound now on the same side of the road as you going south on the Sea-to-Sky
  • "Ideal time" to go through Vancouver (mid-morning)
  • side trip to Mt Baker
  • could still get back well before 6pm on the 6th day

Lodging choices are pretty limited in Winthrop & Valemount.

Shorter options also possible.

Mike Cassidy

Wow, Mike, you are very helpful. And you too, Danny. We are picking up the bikes on Sunday 7/22 and returning them on Friday the 27th.

Looks great, I'm guessing the 500 mile day is Day 2 from Winthrop to Valemount? Is that 500 miles like 10 hours or more like 14? That might be a stretch.

Thanks.

A very significant planning consideration is the timing of the border crossings and travel through the urban areas.

Leaving Seattle on a Sunday is perfect - you will be going against the traffic.

Yes, the 500 mile day is Winthrop,WA to Valemount,BC. WA 20 from Winthrop to Sedro-Wooley is 55 mph and you will probably want to stop a couple of times for pictures.

WashingtonPass01.jpg

Gorge_Dam.jpg

If you leave Winthrop at 8am (sunrise is about 5:30) you should get to the border by noon. Once you get on Hwy 1 at Abbotsford you will be going away from Vancouver traffic. Hwy 5 has a 90km/hr speed limit for the first 30km, but then 110-120km/hr to Kamloops and 100-110 km/hr Kamloops to Valemount.

Even allowing for breaks every hour or two you should make Valemount by 7pm. At that time of year it won't be dark until 9 pm. Can't tell you about eateries in Valemount, just know there are slim pickings.

But I know the prospect of a 500 mile day on a rental can be daunting or worse.

We can break the Winthrop to Valemount (or Jasper) segment into 2x300 mile days on twistier/more interesting roads if we ditch the Cache Creek-> Whistler->Vancouver segment on the return. Or we can do all secondary highways with a 300 mile/day max if skipping Jasper & the Banff-Jasper highway.

Have to go out-of-town for a couple of days, but will make short comments if I can.

Mike Cassidy

Mike;

Been busy and have not had time to check into your suggested routes as much as I would like, but we definitely want to avoid the 500 mile day. How about if we add another 100 miles to day 1 and knock 100 off day 2?

Mike;

Been busy and have not had time to check into your suggested routes as much as I would like, but we definitely want to avoid the 500 mile day. How about if we add another 100 miles to day 1 and knock 100 off day 2?

You would be going over Washington Pass and much of the North Cascades Highway late in the afternoon (but not in the dark) and arrive Sedro-Woolley about 6pm (lots of places to stay in Burlington & Mt Vernon). That would also make a 370 mi first day.

Here's another option:

2700km_WA20CranbrookJasper.jpg

Down to 2723 km (1,8690 mi) total. Longest day now 625km (387mi).

Overnight stays are:

Winthrop, WA

Cranbrook, BC

Lake Louise, AB

Barriere, BC (but could be anywhere from Valemount to Kamloops)

Squamish, BC (but could be Pemberton, BC)

Highlights:

• Now doing all of WA20
  • Arrive early to Lake Louise so can make a diversion to Banff and a quick ride to Moraine Lake
  • still make Jasper (I think the ride north on the Icefields Parkway is more impressive than southbound)

Unfortunately you are now missing Emerald Lake and Rogers Pass (Glacier National Park) and don't have much time to stop on the Icefields Parkway.

Lodging choices are pretty limited in Barriere.

Mike Cassidy

Looks great, Mike. This looks like a winner. Are we going to be anywhere near you? Would love to meet up and buy you dinner.

Looks great, Mike. This looks like a winner. Are we going to be anywhere near you? Would love to meet up and buy you dinner.

Another option that stays almost completely inland:

2018Jul_SEA_Rvlstk_Jspr_WA20_SEA.jpg

Overnight stops are:

• Osoyoos, BC - but could be Omak, WA
  • Revelstoke, BC
  • Jasper, AB
  • Cranbrook, BC
  • WInthrop, WA

Total distance 2900km (1800 mi), longest day 544 km (338 mi)

Advantages:

• Leaving Seattle via Snoqualmie Pass and Blewett Pass is a great way to start
  • Don't have to go through Vancouver & the Lower Mainland
  • The only urban sprawl is from East Kelowna to Vernon
  • Two inland ferry rides on day 2 across the Arrow Lakes
  • One of the best roads in BC - Hwy 6 Cherryville to Needles
  • Can do the road up to Revelstoke Meadows after arriving in Revelstoke
  • Can still go into Emerald Lake
  • Get to do the Icefields Parkway from Lake Louise to Jasper both directions (it's completely different each direction)
  • Can do WA20 all the way from Tiger, WA to Oak Harbor on Whidbey Island (including Desolation Sound)

Mike Cassidy

Chris:

Not sure what my nightcap consisted of last night, but I have a couple of corrections:

The Winthrop, WA stop on the way back could be Omak, WA instead. There is a very nice BW Peppertree there I last stayed at in 2015. Also a couple of nice places to eat in Omak (but a long walk from the Best Western).

* Can do WA20 all the way from Tiger, WA to Oak Harbor on Whidbey Island (including Desolation Sound)

That should have been Deception Pass (between Fidalgo and Whidbey Islands). You could even include a ferry ride on the Clinton-Mukilteo ferry and then just have 35 miles left to get back to Eagle Rider in Seattle.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/pdf/wsfroutemap.pdf

Mike Cassidy

Chris:

Not sure what my nightcap consisted of last night, but I have a couple of corrections:

The Winthrop, WA stop on the way back could be Omak, WA instead. There is a very nice BW Peppertree there I last stayed at in 2015. Also a couple of nice places to eat in Omak (but a long walk from the Best Western).

* Can do WA20 all the way from Tiger, WA to Oak Harbor on Whidbey Island (including Desolation Sound)

That should have been Deception Pass (between Fidalgo and Whidbey Islands). You could even include a ferry ride on the Clinton-Mukilteo ferry and then just have 35 miles left to get back to Eagle Rider in Seattle.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/pdf/wsfroutemap.pdf

Mike Cassidy

Better yet catch the Port Townsend ferry and check out that area and then catch the Bainbridge ferry right to downtown. View coming into Seattle harbor is memorable.