IGNORED

New Tires?

Exploreinman

Exploreinman

My 2016 R1200GS came with Michelin Anakee 3's. My next set were Metzler Tourance Next. Now it's time for new tires and wondering if I should try another tire. My riding is mainly road and dirt/gravel roads. Any suggestions and why?

My favorite road tire for the GS is Pirelli Scorpion 2. I doubt there is any “GS tire' that handles better on pavement, wet or dry.

If you want more of a compromise between some dirt roads but still mostly pavement, put a Pirelli Rally STR in front. That's what I'm using.

I've used Anakees (liked), TKC80 (great for dirt only), Metzelers, Shinkos... I like these new Pirellis the best.

Very neutral handling, superb traction in wet and good tire life.

terryofperry

There will be more than a few GS riders a few miles south of you this Saturday for the SECFF lunch, would be a good time and place to talk about tires. Otherwise, I found the TKC 70 to be a better tire for me than either the Tourance or Anakee. Presently on my third Shinko 705 rear, they have been fine also.

Terry

For me the best tire I have found for good on and off road performance is the Continental TKC 70. I have my 4th set in the garage waiting to mount when needed.

My 2016 R1200GS came with Michelin Anakee 3's. My next set were Metzler Tourance Next. Now it's time for new tires and wondering if I should try another tire. My riding is mainly road and dirt/gravel roads. Any suggestions and why?

Morning Exploreinman

When it comes to tires on the BMW GS a rider really needs to define his primary GS usage. Paved-Road (street) tires usually suck off road & off-road tires have lousy wear on paved roads.

What type of dirt/gravel do you ride & how much? Hard packed dirt can be ridden aggressively on street tires, worn-in gravel (packed clay/gravel mix) also doesn't take much of an off-road tire to ride on. Large stone loose gravel is a different animal & that takes a decent off-road tire to allow stress free riding at more than parking lot speeds.

If you do a lot of high speed freeway riding that sort of limits off-road tire selection unless you want to change tires frequently.

Exploreinman
There will be more than a few GS riders a few miles south of you this Saturday for the SECFF lunch, would be a good time and place to talk about tires. Otherwise, I found the TKC 70 to be a better tire for me than either the Tourance or Anakee. Presently on my third Shinko 705 rear, they have been fine also.

Terry

Sounds good! Can't make it this Saturday, but will ya'll meet in April?

I've had Anakee IIIs for the first 20,000+ miles on my GSA, but I'm thinking of trying the Dunlop Trailsmart next (it's primarily a road tire, like the Anakee III in that respect). Why switch? Because I saw a very complimentary review on the Trailsmart recently. Also, Dunlop currently has a promo for a $50 rebate on a set of two (that's not why I'm considering trying them). I ride primarily on road, with some hard-packed gravel, fire roads etc..

If you're looking for a primarily road tire, try the Pirelli Scorpion II. On pavement, they stick like a sport touring tire. I tried a Trailsmart rear tire and wasn't impressed. It handles OK but wore much faster than the Scorpion.

Exploreinman

I think I'm down to trying either the Pirelli Scorpion 2 or the Continental Trail Attack 2 for my next tire.

Exploreinman

"For me the best tire I have found for good on and off road performance is the Continental TKC 70. I have my 4th set in the garage waiting to mount when needed."

Have you had issues with cupping on the front tire? What kind of mileage are you getting out of these?

Edited by Exploreinman

I have had some cupping issues with the front but this has lessened but not completely gone since I have dropped the pressure in the front to 36 PSI. I have been getting 4500-4800 on the rear and 6K+ from the front. Previously I was using Anakee 3's and was getting 3.5-4K from the rear and 5K on the front. Most times I would just change them together.

For mostly local street use I have always run the Tourances. When I know I'll be offroad, or want to be prepared for anything, I run a Heidenau K60 in the rear and a Continental TKC80 in the front. I've ridden that combo for more miles than any other on my GS and it keeps me happy. I'm not crazy about commuting on them, but when heading out on a trip I know I'm covered for anything. I've never had any weird wear issues

• 1 month later...

If I had deep pockets it would prolly be Tourances...seeing as though I never do I found Shinko 705's tough to beat for $...been through maybe 5 sets...9k in back...13k on front...

Tough to find street front tires due to size...

Edited by ThomasJ
  • 2 years later...
On 3/14/2018 at 5:52 AM, marcopolo said:

I've had Anakee IIIs for the first 20,000+ miles on my GSA, but I'm thinking of trying the Dunlop Trailsmart next (it's primarily a road tire, like the Anakee III in that respect). Why switch? Because I saw a very complimentary review on the Trailsmart recently. Also, Dunlop currently has a promo for a $50 rebate on a set of two (that's not why I'm considering trying them). I ride primarily on road, with some hard-packed gravel, fire roads etc..

$130 total for both the front and rear from chaparral. That’s  hard to beat. Ok 146 with tax. Free shipping.