IGNORED

Keyless Fob Battery Replacement

Exploreinman

Do you have to pry the battery cover off the Keyless Fob to get to the battery? Mine needs to be replaced and the owners manual says to open the key bit, and press the battery cover upwards. I don't want to break it, but does it take some strong pressure to get the cover off?

That's it. It just took a good bit of force to pop it off. I was concerned about breaking plastic if I didn't know what I was doing!

• 3 weeks later...

Good question as I don't think the manual describes it accurately.

Here is a good video showing how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIbdzC5rqGA.

1) Flip key out.

2) With the push button to lock the bike facing down look in the area where the key would be in the closed position. On the side of the FOB which has the key ring is what needs to be pushed up. Put your finger or thumb in that key ring side where the key would be in the closed position and push up. There is a rubber O-ring sealing the connection and you need to use enough force to overcome that O-ring.

3) Push the battery toward the end with the bigger tabs holding the battery down and it should pop up on the side with the short tabs.

4) Insert new battery with the battery # facing up.

5) Push cover back onto the FOB.

6) Keep extra battery somewhere on the bike so you don't need to find one in a pinch when the FOB battery dies on the road. Not fun with the keyless ignition. I keep my extra FOB battery under the carpet in the top box.

You will get a low battery warning on the dash when the fob's battery gets low, but yeah, I also keep a spare battery on the bike with my plastic "extra" key.