BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1007266 - 03/12/18 09:32 PM White Smoke (maybe very light blue?)  
Sound Guy Offline
Newer Member
Sound Guy  Offline
Newer Member

Ottawa, Canada
I just finished a 50,000 km (35,000 mile) tune up on my new (to me) R1200ST. The only things I did that were internal were to adjust the valves, replace spark plugs and clean the K&N filter, but I did have to remove the tank to do the brake fluid flush.

Now that it is back together, I started her up and she seems to run fine, except that when the engine gets warm it blows white smoke, not a thick cloud but still very noticeable. This is not condensation as the smoke was too thick for the air temperature at the time. Since there is no coolant in a Hexhead, I have ruled that out. I'm not sure if over-oiling a K&N filter would cause smoke, or what colour that smoke would be, so I am asking the community. Lastly, could I have done something during the valve adjustment or tank installation that might have caused this? (There are no errors on the GS-911)

#1007267 - 03/12/18 09:41 PM Re: White Smoke (maybe very light blue?) [Re: Sound Guy]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted by Sound Guy
I just finished a 50,000 km (35,000 mile) tune up on my new (to me) R1200ST. The only things I did that were internal were to adjust the valves, replace spark plugs and clean the K&N filter, but I did have to remove the tank to do the brake fluid flush.

Now that it is back together, I started her up and she seems to run fine, except that when the engine gets warm it blows white smoke, not a thick cloud but still very noticeable. This is not condensation as the smoke was too thick for the air temperature at the time. Since there is no coolant in a Hexhead, I have ruled that out. I'm not sure if over-oiling a K&N filter would cause smoke, or what colour that smoke would be, so I am asking the community. Lastly, could I have done something during the valve adjustment or tank installation that might have caused this? (There are no errors on the GS-911)

Afternoon Sound Guy

Where do you live (weather wise)?

You might be just burning off crankcase moisture. The hexhead has a crankcase ventilation pump that pumps/vents the crankcase into the air cleaner.

I wouldn't read too much into white smoke until you take the bike for a good high speed run to purge the crankcase & clear the cat.

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#1007268 - 03/12/18 10:33 PM Re: White Smoke (maybe very light blue?) [Re: Sound Guy]  
Sound Guy Offline
Newer Member
Sound Guy  Offline
Newer Member

Ottawa, Canada
Thanks DR,

I live in Canada and there is still snow on the ground, but it was melting on that day, so condensate shouldn't have been visible. Condensate was all I could think of too (other than the filter oil or getting oil in the airbox). I plan to do exactly what you suggest in the absence of any other obvious causes in a few weeks when it is safe to ride.

#1007333 - 03/13/18 08:03 PM Re: White Smoke (maybe very light blue?) [Re: Sound Guy]  
sardineone Offline
sardineone  Offline

Indiana, USA
SG, I've never had that smoke from the exhaust on my ST so can't nail down the cause, but I have to say hi as I do my own service on my ST as well. I'll be at the Chateau Beauvallon (with the Rainriders) on May 18th & 19th with my R1200ST for you to check my exhaust at 47,000 miles. wave

[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r-t2F6vAzL3riuySjKWqFw0a30UgtuxQ/view?usp=sharing[/img]

You are what you have ridden!
-------------------------------------------------
George Martin
R1200ST(ESA equipped)