IGNORED

Rear view camera for your GPS Prep

NoelCP

If you didn't catch the post on the other forums I decided to follow thru on something I've been wanting to try for a while. Since I only use Nav V when touring, 90% of the time Nav V is stored off the bike for all of my local riding, so I have the black plastic GPS prep cover plate in its place. So I decided to install this rear view camera:

Side view of the GPS cover plate w/ water-resistant 5" HD LCD display velcroed to it. Though I don't ride in the rain hardly ever I was able to cover its upper ventilation slots w/ electrical tape, and near as I can tell it will be fine in about anything but a downpour.

IMG_2474.jpg

In place:

Screen_Shot_2018-03-04_at_1.50.01_PM.jpg

The waterproof wide-angle HD camera is attached w/ velcro to the underside of the 28L trunk:

IMG_2478.jpg

I've ridden with it now about 2h worth, and I really like it. It covers directly behind you right up to the bike, so is especially useful for backing up out of my garage, watching approaching traffic when at a stop, generally augmenting what mirrors already do well, provide additional blind spot coverage, and in parking lots. Its wide-angle coverage spans 140 degrees. While the display has decent brightness/contrast at its default settings, w/ my sunglasses on I increased brightness/contrast from its default 50% to 70% which was perfect, but then when I turned the bike off the monitor resets to default. This is troublesome because the controls for setting custom brightness/contrast are under velcro, and is attached to the GPS cover plate so to get to it you must pry the monitor off the plate. I contacted the vendor who says they have contacted the manufacturer and they will send me a replacement monitor of the exact same model except the new one will retain custom settings, as it should have been able to do in the first place like all other LCD screens I've ever used.

Edited by NoelCP