IGNORED

These old eyes....

RPG

2004 R1150RT. I need to change the rear tail-light bulbs. I can't find a magnifying glass to read the numbers on the upper and lower bulbs.

Osram? halogen's?

Numbers would be appreciated.

thanks,

RPG

2004 R1150RT. I need to change the rear tail-light bulbs. I can't find a magnifying glass to read the numbers on the upper and lower bulbs.

Osram? halogen's?

Numbers would be appreciated.

thanks,

RPG

Afternoon Rick

These old eyes....= having trouble seeing your sights?

On the bulbs-- darn good question with some options & probably options I am not aware of.

The tail/lic plate bulb is a 12v 10 watt

The Brake light & turn signal bulbs are 12v 21 watt

Not many US bulbs line up exactly with the voltage/wattage specs.

Personally I just use BMW spec (BMW part number) bulbs but I have a bag of them to choose from so I haven't had much need to look elsware.

Some BMW riders use the 1056 bulbs for the brake light bulbs as those have a slightly higher light output rating but at a slightly higher rating voltage.

In any case (at least what I have penciled in my book here) is the Sylvania 7506 should work as a brake light bulb (slightly higher watt rating) but still shouldn't put ABS general warning light on.

The Sylvania 5008 should work as a tail light bulb. (again slightly different voltage used for watt rating) but close enough I would think.

The GE 7506 - P21W 21w 12v S8 should also work for a brake light bulb.

I also have a Philips 12498B2 penciled in but no note or info on it so you would have to research this one.

On the 1150 bike with the I-ABS system the brake & tail lights are controlled by the ABS controller so that monitors the current draw on those circuits then lights the dash general warning light if the current draw is too low (like burn out bulb). So using bulbs that don't draw enough current can cause warning light issues.

RPG,

To supplement what Dirtrider has provided above, you might want to consider putting in LED bulbs. They usually last a very long time, pull less current, run much cooler and can be much brighter if you want. About the only thing you have to watch for is the length of the bulb which has not been a problem in my '99 and '00 R & K bikes, plenty of room inside. They make the turn signals flash faster but not hyper.

I looked on SuperBrightLEDs and according to their bulb finder, you have #7506 in the BRAKE and TURN and #5008 in the TAIL. These are both Type BA15S base and a #1156 bulb (also a BA15S base) will work in all three sockets. They show a #1156, 420 lm (approx 40 watts), white light, for $5.95 ea. #7506 LED

RPG,

To supplement what Dirtrider has provided above, you might want to consider putting in LED bulbs. They usually last a very long time, pull less current, run much cooler and can be much brighter if you want. About the only thing you have to watch for is the length of the bulb which has not been a problem in my '99 and '00 R & K bikes, plenty of room inside. They make the turn signals flash faster but not hyper.

I looked on SuperBrightLEDs and according to their bulb finder, you have #7506 in the BRAKE and TURN and #5008 in the TAIL. These are both Type BA15S base and a #1156 bulb (also a BA15S base) will work in all three sockets. They show a #1156, 420 lm (approx 40 watts), white light, for $5.95 ea. #7506 LED

Morning Lowndes / RPG

Be careful if considering LED bulbs, unlike the BMW 1100 the BMW 1150 runs the brake & tail lights through the ABS controller. The ABS controller monitors the current going to the tail light & if the current draw is too low (like a burnt out bulb or some LED bulbs) the ABS controller brings the brake light bulb on at about 1/2 power then turns the dash warning light on.

Thank you both.

In the end, I just replaced them with good old fashioned bulbs. LED's are nice and all, (I have them for the speedo and tach backlights) but the original bulbs lasted 14 years, and if the ABS is sensitive to current, it may introduce other issues.

RPG

Don't forget Kissan Signal Minder for conspicuity, running lights.

I think Run-n-lites, Lite buddies can be used as replacements also.

Hope some nice riding weather is close at hand.

thanks tallman, I've had Run-n-Lites for years for the turn signals (rear only) and I like 'em.

Now if this weather would break in Motown, I can get that 100,000 mile mark on the bike!

RPG