IGNORED

Handlebar starter switch removal

Buckster

Has anyone taken out the starter switch on a R1200RT? I have a 2006 and am trying to change out the grip heat switch but the starter/cutoff switch seems to have to come out first. Thanks Buckster

Has anyone taken out the starter switch on a R1200RT? I have a 2006 and am trying to change out the grip heat switch but the starter/cutoff switch seems to have to come out first. Thanks Buckster

Evening Buckster

I haven't ever had the actual starter/stop switch out of the housing but in looking at the design it looks like the orange stop lever won't fit through the housing hole so more than likely the start push button & orange stop lever must have to come out of the switch before the switch will come out of the housing.

Thank you DR. After studying the housing for several minutes, I found another T7 screw under the part label. After removing that screw, the assembly came out, leaving the start button/cutoff lever the front housing. The start button has a E-clip on the back that holds it and the cutoff switch in the front housing. The assembly has a momentary switch under the start button. There is a second momentary switch beside the start switch that is pushed down when the cutoff lever is moved to either off position.

So to recap for anyone attempting disassembly of the right combination switch assembly (mine is a early 2006 R1200RT), be prepared to deal with some very small parts. There are 2 T7 screws on the back. One is obvious but the other is under the silver part label. Remove the gray seat heat lever by prying it from the front of the housing. Remove the switch assembly from the front housing. I had to pry on it some in the area behind the BC button. The grip heat switch lever (the gray part) and BC button will come out with the assembly. The seat heat switch may fall away from the assembly so watch for that. The switches for start, cutoff and BC are set in the assembly and will stay in place. The BC button will come off its momentary switch easily. You can then pull apart the seat heat switch. Watch for the spring detent under its edge. There is a second spring detent (small pointed plunger with a spring under it) on the opposite side of the assembly that detents the underside of the cutoff lever. You can take apart the grip heat switch but be warned that it is fiddly to get back together. Pry the pivots off the switch lever posts. Watch for a small straight tensioner (looks like a 1" piece of straight wire) on the side of the lever near where the throttle cables run. This tensioner holds the grip heat switch lever against its detent. When reassembling the grip switch, be careful getting the electric contact wipers in place without bending them while pushing the lever posts into the pivots and keeping the straight tensioner in place. After cleaning, I used dielectric grease to lube the surfaces and keep the tensioner in place. Align the BC button on its switch into its hole in the front housing. I had to put the grip heat switch lever into the #2 on position then push the switch assembly into place then replace the 2 screws. Success! Everything works. Sorry no pictures, my phone is full.

Morning Buckster

Good write up, did you unplug the switch from the bike & do the work on the bench or do it with the switch still connected to the bike's harness?

I had unplugged the harness from the ZFE but did not pull the wiring and switch assembly off the bike (too much to undo). I did layout old towels to catch any small parts that might (and did) fall out. In hindsight, pulling the assembly off and working on the bench would have been a better idea. Thanks for your comments, Buckster