IGNORED

Brake pads changed but...

profbodryak

profbodryak

Hi everyone,

Changed multiple times, including on oilheads, a hexhead and also the rear pads on my wethead. But this time something didn't go quite right. Never experienced this before and asking for advice:

1. Two sets of BMW front brake pads;

2. Front brake fluid changed 3500 miles ago; during the same service was told that my front brake pads won't make it to the 18000 mile service;

3. Took out the right side;

4. Installed the right side, no problem with pushing pistons back;

5. Took out the left side;

6. Lower piston got stuck slightly sideways and leaked some fluid out (I must say that after two winters in DC there is some corrosion here and there);

7. I used a more flat and a longer screwdriver and piston returned to its original position at 90 degrees to the vertical surface of the caliper;

8. Took out the right side again to allow for more room for fluid and wiggled both sides carefully to allow enough room for both sides.

Now the question:

1. Have I torn a lower piston seal? (it is not leaking fluid anymore after I cleaned everything up). Currently on the center stand, front brake reservoir fluid level is below the center line with the fork in the neutral position;

2. How long should the wheel turn freely when turned? Mine turns maybe a quarter of a turn and then stops. Given that the fluid level is below the center I am assuming then it should not be an issue.

Any advice is appreciated as always.

Evening profbodryak

1. Have I torn a lower piston seal? (it is not leaking fluid anymore after I cleaned everything up). Currently on the center stand, front brake reservoir fluid level is below the center line with the fork in the neutral position; --I doubt that you tore the piston fluid seal but there is a possibility that the outer dirt excluder seal is not properly seated on the piston.

2. How long should the wheel turn freely when turned? Mine turns maybe a quarter of a turn and then stops. Given that the fluid level is below the center I am assuming then it should not be an issue. --This depends on how much brake pad drag that you have. On new pad install you can't tell much until you ride the bike & seat the brake pads to the rotors. If you have an outer seal siting on top of the piston (between brake pad & piston) then you will have a lot of drag & an upcoming issue.

Any advice is appreciated as always.--I think it was my bike I would remove the brake pad on that caliper piston that you have a problem with & verify that the outer seal in seated properly around the piston.

Edited by dirtrider
profbodryak

dirtrider thank you as always for your advice. Going to do this tomorrow. I already looked on that side once it was in its intended position but will look for any irregularities again.

Much chance of having gotten air in the system?

profbodryak

Thank you lkraus, thought of that as well however wouldn't the level rise then? It has slightly dropped after the pad exchange.

dirtrider thank you as always for your advice. Going to do this tomorrow. I already looked on that side once it was in its intended position but will look for any irregularities again.

Much chance of having gotten air in the system?

Morning profbodryak

There is a chance that you got a little air into that one caliper. It might be a good idea to bleed that caliper before the air migrates up farther into the brake system.

If you filled the brake reservoir with the new brake pads installed & pushed tight to the brake rotors then it won't be much overfilled. Even if overfilled a little it won't hurt anything until you push the front pads back to remove the front wheel.

Before pushing the front pads back into the calipers to remove the front wheel either remove some fluid or at least watch the reservoir height as you push the pads back so it doesn't overflow as you pry the pads back.

• 2 weeks later...