IGNORED

Suggestions for Sunglasses

eddd

After wearing prescription glasses, including polarized sunglasses, for the last 20 years or so I'll likely be in the market for some non prescription sunglasses within the next month.

Since I always ride wearing a helmet with a shield these glasses will not be for riding my motorcycles, but rather for driving, mountain and road biking, and general outdoor activities. They must have polarized lenses, but other than that I don't have any requirements at this time. If you are going to suggest on of the premium brands like Maui Jim please could you include a bit of an explanation of what makes these glasses worth over $200 (other than the name).

I'm looking for general things to look for as well as specific recommendations.

Thanks

Joe Frickin' Friday

I ride with a tinted visor on my helmet, so I don't use sunglasses when I'm riding.

For driving and other outdoor activities, I have a pair of Maui Jim "Kahuna" sunglasses. They have polarized glass lenses. I tried cheap sunglasses that had plastic lenses, and when I finally bought these I was duly impressed with the optical clarity that they provided.

They list for $220+ on Amazon, but I got mine for somewhere around $120 on eBay. Look for a low-priced listing, keep an eye on it, and be prepared to snipe it at the very last minute.

if you are going to ride with helmet you already know to get frames that hug your head....

Maui Jims...I have a couple of pair. They are crazy expensive, but the clarity is amazing. Nothing better and I have owned many brands over the years. Go into a Lens Crafters and ask if you can try them on and walk out into the mall. Amazing

The other one I really like is Costa del mar...I use them for wade fishing. Less expensive but still very good.

If you are going to suggest on of the premium brands like Maui Jim please could you include a bit of an explanation of what makes these glasses worth over $200 (other than the name).
MJ's, Ray Bans, Oakleys and most other "premium" brands are made by Luxotica (yes, the guys who own Lenscrafters and most other chain eyewear/lens stores). I stopped buying my glasses from Lenscrafters a year or so ago and now only buy online - Zenni (made in China...where scads of frames, even Luxotica brands are made) or LensesRX (frames made overseas but lenses ground here in the US).

No brand specific recommendation, but after busting up a couple pair of sunglasses a year, I went to REI and tried on a handful of their sunglasses. After 3+ years, I'm still on the same pair - don't know the brand, only a logo on them.

Rodenstock.

The lens quality is exceptional (as you would expect from the Germans) and is alone well worth the price.

I've had Ray Ban (back in the days when they were "cool") and Bertone (an Italian brand using Carl Zeiss lenses) previously but they don't hold a candle to the astonishing quality of Rodenstock lenses.

I have worn Ocean Waves Molokai frames for about 8 years. They have a wonderfully polarized lens that cut the glare when fishing, riding into the sun, etc very well without getting excessively dark and making it hard to see into later afternoon/twilight. I have found them outstanding for cutting through fog and daylight rainstorm "whiteout" type conditions.

That and they are a local FL company.

Ray bans, snug and awesome clarity. I tried their polarized, but the GPS and the digital readout is a bit fuzzy and duble visioned.

I just got prescription on the same frame using ray ban leanse and I'm very happy with. Frames were $120 lenses $240, crazy prices ha...

Good luck.

I haven't tried some of the other name brands mentioned above, but have always had good luck with Serengetti Drivers. In SoCal I ride with both a dark shield and sunglasses. Admittedly, the Drivers aren't the darkest lenses, but they've always done a commendable job, and are available for about $79 at Walmart.

I've tried cheaper brands with polarized lenses, and what they do to road reflections when viewed through a Shoei dark shield is frightening. But the Drivers add just the right level of added darkness (I guess I have sensitive eyes), with perfect clarity.

Sunglasses are both function and fashion. I always thought other people looked good in RayBans, but thought that I looked like a thug. As with all such things, YMMV.

As for $200 sunglasses, I couldn't. That's a rear tire.

These Serengettis are the best sunglasses I've ever had opplanet-serengeti-stratus-titanium-henna-frame-polarmax-driver-lens-sunglasses.jpg and when the titanium flex frame finally broke after years of use/abuse, Bushnell fixed them for 5 bucks. I still have them and use them on the bike although the new frame part leaves them a bit askew on my face. Sadly they are not available anymore at retail. Ebay, maybe.

I bought these Serengettis for driving P15834499.jpg at costco for about 80 bucks or so. They replaced the above glasses. They fit my face like goggles and are light though not as light as the titanium ones, so they don't slide down my nose.

I wear Costa del Mar Blackfins, but I have a wide face and narrow set eyes with a high bridge nose. All the traditional glasses sit too high on my nose, and I can look under them too easily.

Just to add my $.02:

I've got a pair of oakleys that I bought, crimony, around 1997. They've seen a lot of use, and they're still my go-to shades. Average that out, and cost of ownership is pretty cheap.

They're not the only ones I own, but the other brands I've had are worn out in a few years.

Here is a couple of follow up questions.

Several of the suggestions have been for sunglasses with glass lenses.

Are there any safety issues with glass lenses?

Why glass instead of the newer high tech plastics?

I get whatever is cheapest. Work great. Usually anywhere from $12-15. Your choice of lens color, style, etc. They have lens that are specifically for driving... they work well.

You say not for riding, but I will mention that many polarized and otherwise coated lenses will interfere with the coating on helmet face shields, so if there is any chance of using them with a helmet, you should test them ahead of time, or get a pair without those (polarized, driving, etc) features.

I haven't tried some of the other name brands mentioned above, but have always had good luck with Serengetti Drivers.

I'll amend my previous recommendations. I forgot about Serengeti Drivers. You'll have to forgive me; I had a few successful years with contacts, but now I'm back to prescription glasses, so the big name sunglasses don't work for me these days.

Yep, I saw better with the Serengetis than anything else. They get the tint and optical clarity just right. Better than the Maui Jims. Better than Ray Ban. Better than anything else I've tried.

Shaolin Master Sergeant

Rudy Projects. I have several pairs. Some are cycling specific. One (Rudy Project Guardyan) was polarized, ballistic, photochromic and had interchangeable retention (regular over the ear or goggle strap). Foam seal kept dust out during Iraqi sandstorms.

I kinda hate Oakleys because everybody has them but there are very good.

Polarized suck. If you wear them while riding, it may be even harder to see the instrument panel. They also show the "rainbow effect" on the glass of other vehicles. I've got a pair of Oakley polarized that I blew money on and keep those in the vehicle that is least used. I fall back on my Oakley Half Jackets for most everything (owned since 2005).

Your best bet, head to a Sunglass Hut, try on some to see the fit, then get the brand/type and find them online. Asking which sunglasses to get is a like asking which helmet to buy ;)

Oakleys are pretty much my go to sunglasses. I'm not sure if all are or not but the 2 pairs I've purchased over the last 15 or 20 years ( these shades last!) we're ANSI rated the same as safety glasses. Which is a nice feature if like me you ride with the full face shield open at lower speeds.

Just check the specs when purchasing to be sure.

Polarized suck. If you wear them while riding, it may be even harder to see the instrument panel. They also show the "rainbow effect" on the glass of other vehicles. I've got a pair of Oakley polarized that I blew money on and keep those in the vehicle that is least used. I fall back on my Oakley Half Jackets for most everything (owned since 2005).

Your best bet, head to a Sunglass Hut, try on some to see the fit, then get the brand/type and find them online. Asking which sunglasses to get is a like asking which helmet to buy ;)

Polarized lenses are absolutely essential when driving my Miata due to the glare.

As for comparison to helmets, I get your point, and would never buy sunglasses I could not try on, but what I'm after here is suggestions to serve as a starting point.

Polarized lenses are absolutely essential when driving my Miata due to the glare.

As for comparison to helmets, I get your point, and would never buy sunglasses I could not try on, but what I'm after here is suggestions to serve as a starting point.

I had a pair of MGBs and used regular sunglasses, the rainbow effect, looking through the sunglasses, looking through the windshield is just too much for me to tolerate.

I also cycle and run and while doing both those activities, prefer the non-polarized glasses over the polarized ones.....each person's preference is different and I just don't like how the polarized view the world.

I have worn Ocean Waves Molokai frames for about 8 years. They have a wonderfully polarized lens that cut the glare when fishing, riding into the sun, etc very well without getting excessively dark and making it hard to see into later afternoon/twilight. I have found them outstanding for cutting through fog and daylight rainstorm "whiteout" type conditions.

That and they are a local FL company.

just had a big customer service win today with Ocean Waves.

My 6 year old pair had a lens crack in a bad drop, probably the 500th of their life..., and the company told me to come on out, they have a trade in program, $65 and I got a whole new set of glasses to replace my broken ones.

DaveTheAffable

Mentioned by others... but I have really enjoyed Serengeti Aviation glasses. Non-Polarized. I've worn them as a pilot, public safety, and a rider.

One of many places to get them... Optics Planet

(Make sure you select non-polarized.... for reasons already statred in the thread.)

• 4 years later...

I hate crappy sunglasses.....and crappy snow goggles....and crappy motorcycle visors. By crappy, I mean If it distorts my vision, I can't have it in front of my eyes. I can't even deal with crappy safety glasses at work. Drives me nuts.

Back to strictly sunglasses, I am a big fan of Oakley. I've had 3 pairs over the span of about 20 years. My daily wears are Flak Jacket XLJ models with the replaceable lenses. I like them because they let very little light in behind the lens between my face and the frame. The XLJ model has a little added tab that covers your peripheral, that the standard Flak Jackets do not. Sounds trivial, but I have always found that very distracting. #1 reason I could never wear something like standard aviator glasses. I personally love polarized lenses, and wouldn't buy anything else for use on a sunny day. Everyone's eyes are different. I went for years without polarized lenses due to getting a great deal on these frames with the standard lenses. Then I got PRK eye surgery and decided to buy replacement polarized lenses for the frames on the recommendation from the Doctor. I will never go back to standard lenses.

I'm also a big fan of Maui Jims. Their lenses are fantastic. I just can't seem to find a pair of their frames that I want to buy. I talked my wife into buying a pair maybe 10 years ago (her 1rst pair of sun glasses that cost more than $20), and she was blown away. I'm impressed that she still has them. She used to lose/break sunglasses all the time. She likes these so much that she actually takes care of them.

Lone_RT_rider
It doesn't matter for me. The more expensive the sunglasses the faster I lose them! Cheap one I keep forever!

I see you've discovered the inverse law of Sunglasses. ;)

I wear prescription glasses and for the past couple of years I've had Solarshield Yukon over-glasses that work great for me while riding or driving. I like to have my Arai's visor wide open whenever possible and the wraparound Yukon help keep wind from drying out my eyes. They're not expensive so I keep a pair on my bike and in my cars. I prefer non-polarized (it was surprising when I found out Costco optical no longer sells non-polarized prescription sunglasses -- polarized only).

Wow, this gets the "Thread Resurrection Award" today. 4 years old, where did you find this thing?

Anyway, as stated earlier, I have Oakleys. Lenses are superb and you can order new ones, parts etc. for pretty reasonable prices.

One thing I've been doing the last couple of years - I've been getting safety glasses over at homedepot. I started doing this for night riding - clear or yellow tinted lenses. Daytime, tinted, of course. Sometimes the tinted lenses aren't great. They can be a little grainy. But it's nice to have a spare pair, and glasses under the visor helps keep the dust, or what have you, out of my eyes.

I did have polarized glasses once. Either the visor, or my fog proof insert interfered, so it didn't work out.

Wow....no joke. Thats funny

Now that you mention the fog inserts.....thats my one exception for optical clarity. I use the pinlock system in my Shoei. There is most definitely some optical distortion from the pinlock insert, but the payoff of never having it fog up is well worth the occasional distraction. I never wear sunglasses when riding, but I always have a pair of good clear safety glasses packed in my tank bag for when I want to ride with my visor up (rarely, and usually just when offroad). The rest of the time its either a very dark tinted visor, or a clear shield with the pinlock in. Both visors have 2 strips of black electrical tape across the top to shield the sun a little more

Rider1200RT

As a former fishing guide I used both Oakley and Costa Del Mar glasses. Both make excellent lenses either polarized and non polarized. YMMV