IGNORED

Fuse block trigger wire

greiffster

The previous owner of my '08 GSA installed a Touratech TPS 15 CAN Bus fuse block. I like it as it is a great way to power up electronic gadgetry. However, he had it triggered to power up after the bike was started, NOT with ignition key on.

I traced the yellow trigger wire from the block to to a tap just left of the fork. It is a yellow/gray wire that looks to be pulled out of a main harness.

So two questions:

1. Can anyone identify a yellow/gray wire? What is it powering? I assume it has 12v power after the bike is started (or the block shouldn't go hot). I have some wiring diagrams, but can't find a yellow/gray wire.

2. I'd like to swap the trigger wire to power up the block at key on. I think I have several decent options. Both the parking indicator bulb and taillight come on at key on, so those seem obvious choices. I found a diagram of the fuse block on the internet and it suggests the taillight. I also read a few that have tapped the accessory plug at the rear of the bike. But, honestly I haven't yet confirmed if it is hot at key on. I don't think I have ever used it. Any suggestions for an easy install?

Dennis Andress

Yellow is headlight low beam. The easiest place to find switched power which some on with the key would be the front parking light. The tank would probably have be removed to route the wires for the other options.

The previous owner of my '08 GSA installed a Touratech TPS 15 CAN Bus fuse block. I like it as it is a great way to power up electronic gadgetry. However, he had it triggered to power up after the bike was started, NOT with ignition key on.

I traced the yellow trigger wire from the block to to a tap just left of the fork. It is a yellow/gray wire that looks to be pulled out of a main harness.

So two questions:

1. Can anyone identify a yellow/gray wire? What is it powering? I assume it has 12v power after the bike is started (or the block shouldn't go hot). I have some wiring diagrams, but can't find a yellow/gray wire.

2. I'd like to swap the trigger wire to power up the block at key on. I think I have several decent options. Both the parking indicator bulb and taillight come on at key on, so those seem obvious choices. I found a diagram of the fuse block on the internet and it suggests the taillight. I also read a few that have tapped the accessory plug at the rear of the bike. But, honestly I haven't yet confirmed if it is hot at key on. I don't think I have ever used it. Any suggestions for an easy install?

Morning greiffster

I don't show a yellow/grey wire either. Headlight low beam is yellow & side light is grey/blue. Are you seeing the yellow/grey on the bike side of the connector or on the headlight side of the connector?

On the 2008 GS-A you should be able to use the tail light wire (on the comparable 1200RT the tail light is pulse width modulated so can't be used).

The rear accessory plug should be hot with key on but delayed in turn off as it is computer controlled. The rear accessory outlet is also tied into the front outlet as far power control is concerned so if you plug heated clothing into the front & blow the circuit protection circuit that will also kill the rear outlet power.

Yellow is headlight low beam. The easiest place to find switched power which some on with the key would be the front parking light. The tank would probably have be removed to route the wires for the other options.

I am also showing the headlight to be yellow. This wire is yellow/gray? I should note that the fuse block is installed under the seat and I can get the trigger wire anywhere without much trouble.

Morning greiffster

I don't show a yellow/grey wire either. Headlight low beam is yellow & side light is grey/blue. Are you seeing the yellow/grey on the bike side of the connector or on the headlight side of the connector?

On the 2008 GS-A you should be able to use the tail light wire (on the comparable 1200RT the tail light is pulse width modulated so can't be used).

The rear accessory plug should be hot with key on but delayed in turn off as it is computer controlled. The rear accessory outlet is also tied into the front outlet as far power control is concerned so if you plug heated clothing into the front & blow the circuit protection circuit that will also kill the rear outlet power.

I assume it's on the bike side. I'll need to take a closer look tonight, but I did take a crappy picture before heading to the office.......

E4nztxVwSHRI9FpitY40BRl6yfw-rv6pb0g9d5V7TBdJm9FTebBGcEYpQQoAmu2_-jwAa38pvC7D12GQhQ=w400?=.jpg

Afternoon greiffster

You might try a couple of tests to see what powers that yellow/grey wire—

Start the engine then hold down the turn signal cancel button for five or 6 seconds then hold the right turn signal button for five or 6 seconds. This should turn the headlight off (see if that wire goes dead)

Next try turning on the parking light by hitting either turn signal button immediately after turning off the ignition (the tail light & front sidelight should be lit with headlight off). See if wire is still alive.

Afternoon greiffster

You might try a couple of tests to see what powers that yellow/grey wire—

Start the engine then hold down the turn signal cancel button for five or 6 seconds then hold the right turn signal button for five or 6 seconds. This should turn the headlight off (see if that wire goes dead)

Next try turning on the parking light by hitting either turn signal button immediately after turning off the ignition (the tail light & front sidelight should be lit with headlight off). See if wire is still alive.

DR,

Thanks. Neat trick, I did not know that.

So, I figured it out. The yellow/gray wire was from my Hella Micro DE driving light relay mounted at the right side of the tank. It actually is spliced into the yellow headlight wire and triggers the driving lights. My fuse block was triggered from a trigger wire. I'm going to re-splice the fuse block to trigger from the tail light, so I'll have power with the ignition on.