IGNORED

07 rt fuel pump controller replacement options?

NapaBavarian

NapaBavarian

I just ordered a second new battery and would like to get the bike running again, it seems to be a controller issue, I found some listed as fuel pump on max bmw and saw another bypass setup for $20, but I'm not sure what direction to go, it sounds like the controller limits voltage to the pump because there is no return line.

Symptom is bike starts, runs for a few seconds, won't restart for a couple minutes, repeat. Open throttle and it dies.

I just ordered a second new battery and would like to get the bike running again, it seems to be a controller issue, I found some listed as fuel pump on max bmw and saw another bypass setup for $20, but I'm not sure what direction to go, it sounds like the controller limits voltage to the pump because there is no return line.

Symptom is bike starts, runs for a few seconds, won't restart for a couple minutes, repeat. Open throttle and it dies.

Evening NapaBavarian

FPC, (fuel pump controller) limits current to pump not just voltage.

The Hexhead does have a fuel return line but still uses variable current to the pump when full flow is not required.

You can run it on an FPC by-pass but probably shouldn't operate it that way continuously.

But a homemade or store bought FPC by-pass is a good quick test for a failed FPC as well as being handy to travel with in case of a sudden FPC failure on the road.

NapaBavarian

I've seen these 2 part number's

16 14 7 720 776

16 14 8 523 262

Some indications one supercedes the other and they are interchangeable, other places I see a recommendation to verify what is on your bike.

What is the case? The first statement seems more logical, but logic doesn't make it so!

I've seen these 2 part number's

16 14 7 720 776

16 14 8 523 262

Some indications one supercedes the other and they are interchangeable, other places I see a recommendation to verify what is on your bike.

What is the case? The first statement seems more logical, but logic doesn't make it so!

Afternoon NapaBavarian

The 16147720776 was superseded by 16148523262.

The 16148523262 (or it's current replacement) is the correct FPC.

• 3 weeks later...
NapaBavarian

New FPR, same problem

Cranks but won't start

If I open the throttle all the way crank close throttle crank again it will idle for a few seconds and die.

New FPR, same problem

Cranks but won't start

If I open the throttle all the way crank close throttle crank again it will idle for a few seconds and die.

Morning NapaBavarian

Did you do a new TPS re-learn after the battery install? If not then start by doing that ---

TPS re-learn procedure-----

*Disconnect the lead to the battery's positive post for about 3 minutes.

Then

*Reconnect the positive lead to the battery's positive terminal.

Then

*Switch on the ignition. (do not start engine)

Then

*Without starting the engine, fully open the throttle once or twice so that the control unit of the BMW engine management system can register the throttle-valve positions.

Then

*Switch off the ignition.

That's it__

If it still won't start & stay running after the TPS re-learn then we will NEED a LOT more information on when the bike last ran good, what has been done to it since it ran good, how long since the bike has run good, any & all info you can furnish.

You might also need to get a GS-911 on the bike to read the stored trouble codes & check basic system functions.

NapaBavarian

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately the bike has been neglected, I purchased a new battery and wasnt riding due to a leak in the rear hub and bad battery, I lost my house last october, forethought to push the bikes away from everything else so they survived, buy in my haste I tossed the covers off to the side and they were lost, I need to locate quality covers.

After extensive reading I found information on bad fuel injectors causing a no start situation. I did get it started today, however it wouldn't stay running until I got it warm, added a bottle of dry gas alcahol incase there was moisture in the tank, and one of lucas fuel ssystem cleaner, topped the tank off with 2.5 gallons of chevron premium, full charge on a brand new battery, with some effort I got it to run, excessive unburned gasoline out the tailpipe leads me to believe I may have a bad fuel injector, or sticky from the old gas. Gas is mostly new, 2 gallons a month ago 2.5 more today.

I'll be up there tomorrow and need to get it on a trailer and out of there.

Thanks again.

NapaBavarian

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately the bike has been neglected, I purchased a new battery and wasnt riding due to a leak in the rear hub and bad battery, I lost my house last october, forethought to push the bikes away from everything else so they survived, buy in my haste I tossed the covers off to the side and they were lost, I need to locate quality covers.

After extensive reading I found information on bad fuel injectors causing a no start situation. I did get it started today, however it wouldn't stay running until I got it warm, added a bottle of dry gas alcahol incase there was moisture in the tank, and one of lucas fuel ssystem cleaner, topped the tank off with 2.5 gallons of chevron premium, full charge on a brand new battery, with some effort I got it to run, excessive unburned gasoline out the tailpipe leads me to believe I may have a bad fuel injector, or sticky from the old gas. Gas is mostly new, 2 gallons a month ago 2.5 more today.

I'll be up there tomorrow and need to get it on a trailer and out of there.

Thanks again.

NapaBavarian

Another day another result...

I didn't have time to do a reset, but I thought I'd give it a shot at running, it fired right up this mid day, warm temps, good idle, didn't have a chance to ride it but it sounds better.