IGNORED

Fuel Strip More BMW BS

Sonor

So I contacted my dealer saying the fuel strip they installed last July died after four months but I waited until now knowing I was not going to ride much over the winter. He said, "Well it might be under warranty. BMW has stated they want to see so many miles on a bike before they replace the fuel strip." He left this on my voice mail and I have yet to call back. First question: Anyone hear of this crap before? Second question: Why in the &%($^ would it matter how many miles? The damn thing is dead and if it happened a week after install or a year, what does the mileage have to do with anything?

This is my last BMW.

So I contacted my dealer saying the fuel strip they installed last July died after four months but I waited until now knowing I was not going to ride much over the winter. He said, "Well it might be under warranty. BMW has stated they want to see so many miles on a bike before they replace the fuel strip." He left this on my voice mail and I have yet to call back. First question: Anyone hear of this crap before? Second question: Why in the &%($^ would it matter how many miles? The damn thing is dead and if it happened a week after install or a year, what does the mileage have to do with anything?

This is my last BMW.

Morning Sonor

It's spring, the dealer is making big money on customer pay service, mounting new tires, oil changes, high dollar valve adjustments, & prepping new bikes. They don't want to tie there service people up with a low paying PITA warranty fuel strip replacement.

Just ask the service people to show you the BMW document that states it needs x number of miles (bet you he can't).

There is a warranty time limit (12 years & unlimited mileage) so a 2005 bike could very well be coming to the end of that.

Edited by dirtrider

Good points DR, I will ask to see it. Just an fyi, they just replaced the thing last July so it is still under warranty.

I took my 2009 to the dealer last week for its sixth fuel strip and some other routine service. I was told that the fuel strips were on back order. Hmmm...

Good points DR, I will ask to see it. Just an fyi, they just replaced the thing last July so it is still under warranty .

I took my 2009 to the dealer last week for its sixth fuel strip and some other routine service. I was told that the fuel strips were on back order. Hmmm...

Morning Sonor

That depends on the dealer & how they read the warranty. At one time BMW held that the parts warranty (BMW-paid-for-parts replacement warranty) only ran to the end of the stated motorcycle warranty not the 2 years that would be on customer pay parts. I don't know how your dealer or BMW looks at that for long past normal fuel strip warranty.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I just got the 5th (could be the 4th, I have lost count) fuel strip for free. Two year parts warranty and the strip was only six months old when it died. I told the dealer the same thing and he said one guy had the strip replaced, wasn't even home and the part died. Not even an hour on the bike and it died.

he said one guy had the strip replaced, wasn't even home and the part died. Not even an hour on the bike and it died.

Heard that story many a time... not unusual at all.

My 2010 finally ate a fuel strip, will be my first... I'm in no rush to get it replaced, I always use the trip odometer anyway as I've had NO confidence in the fuel strip after knowing how many die.

Hey w2ge, I just hated the little flashing gas pump and big yellow triangle on the dash. If the strip died and constantly stated a full tank, I would not get it replaced.

• 3 weeks later...
speedybee

So I just got the fuel strip replaced for about the seventh or eighth time and now in less than 150 miles it is dead again! This makes me think that maybe the dealer really did not replace it but just used some other technique to bring it back to life temporarily? Dirt Rider...what do you think? Any advice besides the electrical tape "fix"?

dirtrider

So I just got the fuel strip replaced for about the seventh or eighth time and now in less than 150 miles it is dead again! This makes me think that maybe the dealer really did not replace it but just used some other technique to bring it back to life temporarily? Dirt Rider...what do you think? Any advice besides the electrical tape "fix"?

Afternoon speedybee

Personally I would keep after the dealer until they get a lasting fuel strip in it.

I seriously doubt the dealer put some voodoo on it just to revive it, more likely just another failed strip.

I went through about the same thing on my 1200RT with a number of quick re-failures of fuel strips but finally one was installed that has lasted a couple of years now.

Your other option is to make up a spoofer resistor set-up to (hopefully keep the low fuel light off).

There is a person (I think) making a float conversion but it is rather expensive & I have no experience with it or it's accuracy.

• 1 month later...

On my 2006 I never had a problem. On the 2009 I do have a problem and it seemed to have haunted the previous owner as well. He got it replaced at least twice or thrice.

It works somehow but stays on full for ever before towards empty tank going down but never going all the way down.

Living with it for now

H