IGNORED

Another Tire Thread? Yup! Can the New Dunlop Beat Michelin?

Michael B

The new Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart III's vs. Michelin PR4 GT's. The heavyweight battle has begun, at least according to the May issue of ON Mag.

The May article reviewing the new Dunlops was very positive, even claiming 3,000 more miles than Michelin's PR 4's along with better performance, even in the wet.

I'm on my second set of PR 4's and think they are darned good. Could anyone give me a good reason to switch to the new Dunlops instead? In a couple thousand miles I gotta choose one.

Cheers!

John Bentall

The PR4GT is a tyre recommended by BMW for a country - Germany - where it is perfectly legal to run an RT/K1600 at a steady 125 mph, two-up, with luggage for a straight hour or more, traffic conditions permitting. The emphasis here would be on straight-line stability.

If one has no intention of doing this, then a whole load of other options come into play. These options might sacrifice extreme high-speed straight-line stability for more playful handling. You take your choice based on your needs and prevailing weather conditions where you ride.

I've been a big fan of the Michelin tires, not for high speed travel ,but for wet traction . For fairly sticky tire, the milage is better than dome However, I've heard good reviews for the Dunlop and would be willing to try them if they are less expensive per mile as I go thru a few sets a year. 3000 miles more per year would be like getting an extra trip , or not having to prematurely change tires so as not to run them out mid trip. Looking forward to seeing more reviews.

I run the roadsmart II on my Tuono. I like them a lot in the we, and they seem to give good mileage on a more sport oriented bike.

realshelby

Talk is cheap. While Dunlop CLAIMS the new Roadsmart III will do 3000 more miles than a PR4, NO ONE has ridden them to the claimed 13,000 miles they project.

I had a Roadsmart II on the rear of my RT and it was toast at 4,300 miles. Didn't like the feel.

Just to prove I am stupid enough to be fooled twice, I have ordered a set of the new Roadsmart III for the RT. With the $60 rebate card and $278.76 a set shipped from Chaparral I fell for it again. I suspect they were not too pleased with the RS II results and fixed the RS III. I will be measuring tread as miles build up and post results after the trip to the UN rally. Tire tests are propaganda if they don't show exactly how many miles are on the tire when the tread wear indicators are showing.

Medic Mike

I have had Metzler, the RS II, PR 3 and PR 4 tires on my RT's over the years. Like Terry, was not happy with the results and miles on the RS II. I absolutely fell in love with the PR 3's the day they went on my 04 RT. When I upgraded to an 06 RT they came with Metzler...will never voluntarily acquire those tires. I traded those out for a set of PR 4's. The PR 4's did not seem to have the "stickiness" that my PR 3's had, though there is a high probability that I could be remembering things wrong. The PR 4's just did not seem to have the grip on the curves that my PR 3's had.

I was able to upgrade to a 2011 RT and the dealership put on a brand new pair of Avon Storm AV 65 tires. I have not had any experience with this company though I know a lot of K and Goldwing riders use them. In talking with Justin at Eurosport Asheville Avon has a great tread warranty and by his experience these tires have better grip than the PR 4's (that he had on his bike before he tried out the Avon's). The day I brought the bike home I got to try these tires out in a downpour, foggy wet roads (the BRP from Asheville to NC 80), twisty roads (NC 151 and NC 80 plus the BRP), dry sun baked road and night time. So far the Avon's seem to remind me of my PR 3's and have been very happy with them. With all things you have trade off's. Great grip, less miles. More miles, less grip. The Avon's will last between 8-10K, which is my yearly average.

I am going to keep an eye on the real world miles from people like Terry and others as they try out the RS III.

Thanks Terry for being the lab rat on this.

Mike

realshelby

Mike, I have not run the Michelin on this RT. But I have had the PR3 and Pr4 on the V Stroms. I really liked the PR3. Worth the extra cost if you just want a pavement tire. But when those were going out I bought he PR4 and by 5500 miles the rear was toast! Front tire never felt planted in hard cornering compared to the PR3. That is the main reason I won't pay the steep price for PR4's for the RT.

I'll find out if the "test" results are BS. It looks like my average rear tire mileage on the Bridgestone T-30 Evo is around 7,500 miles. I really like these T-30's but would love to own a tire that went over 10,000 miles on the rear. That is my target. What other people get mean nothing as I must be doing something they are not............

Medic Mike

Terry:

I wholly agree with the PR 4 feeling not being planted. I am glad it was not just me on this. Depending on what you find on the RS III, I may stick with the Avon's if they keep up. From what Avon says, the rears should last between 10-12K. As I stated, the both front and rear were brand new when I bought the bike, so I should be able to give a good idea of tread life. I ride 60% solo and 40% two up. The solo is about 70% distance (300 miles plus) 30% superslab for work and back. When I go two up it is 90% distance (300 miles plus). Looking forward to comparing notes on this.

i have had the PR 2's, 3's, and 4GT. Honestly mileage wise all similar. The only real difference I've noticed in the PR family is the 3's were the loudest of them all. When I first put them on I thought something was wrong with them. Other than that...I really can't tell them apart.

Continental's that came on my LC....near zero grip. Took them off at 2000 miles and threw them away. They would slip and slide on dry pavement.

Edited by Skywagon
John in VA
i have had the PR 2's, 3's, and 4GT. Honestly mileage wise all similar. The only real difference I've noticed in the PR family is the 3's were the loudest of them all. When I first put them on I thought something was wrong with them. Other than that...I really can't tell them apart.

Continental's that came on my LC....near zero grip. Took them off at 2000 miles and threw them away. They would slip and slide on dry pavement.

+1

I've had PR2, PR3 and PR4, all good tires. Main difference was the PR3s were LOUD.

Last year I test-rode a demo '16 RTW with OEM RoadTec 01 tires that were so bad I insisted the new RT I eventually bought have its OEM RoadTecs swapped for PR4s.

Well tires again. Here are my 0.002 cents or pennies experienced on RT's (2000/2007)

I have used several sets of Michelin PR-4 GT tire sets and it has given me the longest usage. But that was well below the TWI indicators.

The develop a mean shoulder/scalping on the front tire at about half way through there life.

I have had very good success with the Pirelli Angel GT "A" compound. They don't last as long as the PR-4 GT's, but they are easier to live with.

For me the tire feels great rain or shine and even though they will develop a shoulder or scalping as the PR4 GT's, it doesn't affect my riding style.

At the moment I have a set of Metzler RoadTec 01 HWM mounted and I really like them so far (2500 miles). I don't really think they will last much longer then the Pirelli's, but I had to give it a try.

I have no experience with any Dunlop tires. And the Avon and Bridgestone tires that I tried back in 2000-2001 scared the heck out of me, that I can't get myself to waste my money on them.

Also if you are buying based on recommendations in the BMW-MOA ON magazine, this month they have a article on the new Conti tires, so I guess you better change your order.

One more word about the Michelin PR line of tires. Back at the MOA rally in Salida, MO, the tire engineer from Michelin swore up and down that there was no difference in rubber compounds between the PR-3 and the PR-4.

The only difference is the thread design? But for some reason they last longer then the PR-3's.

As I said just my few cents. :wave:

I've been on PR4s ever since they came out and have been satisfied with them. Having said that I just mounted the RS 3s and can tell you for sure they are a lot quieter. We'll see about mileage very soon.

GT

John, are you talking Metzler 01? I have a new RT with Metzler Z8 tires that I really like. I feel stuck to the road. My last RT, an 09, had PR4's that didn't have the same feel. The Z8 has been replaced with the 01, so I'll buy those when the time comes. But everyone seems to like the PR4.

One more word about the Michelin PR line of tires. Back at the MOA rally in Salida, MO, the tire engineer from Michelin swore up and down that there was no difference in rubber compounds between the PR-3 and the PR-4.

The only difference is the thread design? But for some reason they last longer then the PR-3's.

As I said just my few cents. :wave:

I guess we had a different guy at the Hamburg rally. He told us the PR3 has a medium compound center tread with a softer compound on the edges, while the PR4 has a hard center and medium edges.

13497324074_f6af93fe88_b.jpg

I felt more confident cornering on PR3s than my current PR4s, though the front cupped considerably before the front and rear both hit the wear bars at 9800 miles. I think I've been running too much pressure on the PR4s (F39/R41), as I'm projecting the center TWI will be reached at 8000 miles on the rear, 8800 miles on the front (but no cupping). They are probably too worn to get out to SLC and back this year, so they will be swapped for a Roadtec 01 set next week, and re-mounted when I return to use up the last ~3K miles.

realshelby

New Dunlop RoadSmart III front and rear tires are here. Probably later next week till I mount them.

The RoadSmart II I ran on this RT was made in the USA. I had read the new Dunlop RoadSmart III were also. The set I have are made in Japan by Sumitomo Rubber Company. So, thinking I was buying an American product I now see I did not. Which isn't going to change how I look at these.

The RoadSmart II came with a rear tire tread depth of 7/32". My Bridgestone T-30 Evo tires have a rear tire new tread depth of 7/32" also. The new RoadSmart III has a rear tire tread depth of about

7-3/4/32".(7.75/32"?) Might seem odd to mix fractions in a fraction, but 32nds of an inch is how I measure tire tread. So, the RoadSmart III starts with around 10% more tread depth. This is measured to the top of the treadwear indicators with a proper tire tread depth gauge. In the center of the tread.

Front RoadSmart III has a tread depth of 4/32". Compared to the T-30 Evo that is 1/2 of a /32" LESS. That is about 12% less, and will be interesting to see how the front tire wears. I often put on a new rear tire while running the front from the previous tire change. Don't always get full use of rear tire tread as I do more trips than anything and replace a tire if not sure about a trip. Meaning I usually get two rears to one front easily.

These RoadSmart III tires don't seem too stiff just flexing by hand. Probably easy to mount. I am hoping they might ride smoother. I like the looks of the tires, while that shouldn't make any difference some tires just look wrong ( Continental Road Attack for instance ). I will probably run 38 psi front, 42 psi rear on these.

I'll wait until the test results (real world) come in. For now, it would be hard to sway me off PR4's. Last set netted nearly 18k in day to day commuter duty on Michigan's finest, (the nation's worst) roads in every type of weather.

2004 RT.

Most notable impression is the amazing traction/feel in the wet and lack of noise/cupping as the tires wear in.

I had Dunlop's before and they were adequate, but nowhere near the PR4's.

I am reading with interest. I had PR2's years ago and they had no ability to hold on the road. I had an accident as a result and have little interest in attempting PR's of any flavor. So i am very interested in reading about the advancements and the results others have had. Maybe someone will post something that would prompt me to rethink my position. Post away folks ...

{Currently staying with my Metzlers ...}

Edited by Sonor
I am reading with interest. I had PR2's years ago and they had no ability to hold on the road. I had an accident as a result and have little interest in attempting PR's of any flavor. So i am very interested in reading about the advancements and the results others have had. Maybe someone will post something that would prompt me to rethink my position. Post away folks ...

I'm thinking there was something else going on to cause a problem with Michelin PR2 or PR3 to hold the road.

I have run thru 6 sets of PR2 tires and 11 sets of PR3 tires on my R1100RT. Never, ever had an issue with any of those tires holding the road. The PR2 and PR3 tires are terrific, good lean but more neutral than the Dunlops, never slipped, great feedback. Tried one set of Bridgestone T30 EVO tires, had more ABS activity with those than any other tires. Tried a Dunlop RS3/RS2 - 2 on the rear because they don't make the 3 in the RT 18" wheel size, so far the RS3 front is doing okay, the RS2 on the rear was bald at 4,100 miles so I put a PR3 back on the rear. Dunlop is a great feeling tire, quick to turn, never slipped good feedback.

Odd, all I've ever run are PRs on the RT and I currently have PR4s on the HP4 (yes, really!!). They hold the road just fine, even at a steep angle.

Shiny Side Up

Odd, all I've ever run are PRs on the RT and I currently have PR4s on the HP4 (yes, really!!). They hold the road just fine, even at a steep angle.

Same here - and I believe the PR4's are a better rain tire than the 3's - which, IMHO were great tires.

I'll probably be riding in the rain on the Un trip. Which means some time in rain on the RoadSmart III.

What I do NOT understand is the prevailing affinity for Michelin PR series in the rain. I have owned them and they work just fine in rain. I even tried getting them to slip in wet corners on the Dragon and they held surprisingly well. But, I can say that about the Bridgestone T-30 and T-30 Evo, and several other tires. So my point is "who is testing these in the rain and writing that they are superior to brand X".

I think most of the Sport Touring tires available are good in wet conditions. Just like car tires, a new tire with deep tread is better. While I trust the tires I have been running on the RT in the rain, I slow down in wet conditions. Any slips I have had I am pretty sure were caused by rolling over painted areas or other surface contamination. Meaning NO tire would stick in that!

Looking forward to this trip and looking forward to the Dunlop report. Probably have 2500-3500 miles on these when I return. Plenty to tell if they are in the same league as tires I have run before.....or indeed better.

Bill_Walker

The problem with user tire performance evaluations is that hardly any of us are in a position to ride new tires of different brands back-to-back, so we're comparing brand new tires with what we think we remember from when the previous set was new, thousands of miles and possibly many months ago. More likely, we're comparing what they feel like when worn.

Mileage comparisons by a single user may have more validity, provided we can recall whether we rode in approximately the same places at approximately the same speeds. But I've found that roads in different states have quite different abrasion characteristics, so mileage comparisons between users aren't likely much good, either, without compiling the data for a fairly large sample size.

Moral: place your bet at tire replacement time and see how they work for YOU.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's when the PR4s start losing the road, but only in the heavy rain like we had Friday morning on my way to work. I actually had to slow down to 75ish. For my riding, these still have plenty of tread left,....when I see the cords, it's time to change them ;)

34668692854_6253ebd505_b.jpg

So, I'm a glutton for punishment,....I'ma try out the Roadsmart IIIs and see how far they get me......the price was right along with the $60 rebate too ;)

Let us know how the Roadsmart IIIs go. To me those PRs are way past bald and I wouldn't ride them to the end of my driveway, wet or dry! :eek:

Let us know how the Roadsmart IIIs go. To me those PRs are way past bald and I wouldn't ride them to the end of my driveway, wet or dry! :eek:

I'm with you on that!

Worn well into the wear indicators and worn even lower in the cupped areas on the side. Large areas where the siping is totally missing.

Maybe you don't remember what a new one looks like?

35472885956_42824ca7f9_b.jpg

I'm pretty frugal, but that tire is done.

When you change it out, put a finger inside the tire and another opposite on the outside. You'll be surprised at how thin that carcass is.

Edited by lkraus

I pinch pennies but not on tires. Not trying to pile on here but apart from the traction factor, I'd be worried that not only is a hard, hot bald tire easier to puncture, couldn't a blowout at speed cause catastrophic shredding and I'd be on the rim? Or shreds could jam/lock a wheel?

I've yet to change a set of tires that weren't in this condition or worse. Most times, the cord is showing on the rear. For some reason, the front wore quicker than the rear this time. I also always change both tires at the same time.

medium800.jpg

I was putting lots of road miles on my Ducati so I didn't want a special tire for the occasional trip to the track. I'd been happy with PR3 on my RT and FJR so I went with PR3s when the Ducati needed new tires. The PR3s had great grip wet or dry. When PR4s came out I moved up to those on the Ducati and my road bikes with no drop off in performance or mileage.

I'm running Metzler Sportecs on my KTM with excellent results, but the KTM sees mostly track miles.

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

The PR line has offered great traction and consistant mileage. Knowing what I can expect out of a given tire is really important to me when I'm planning long trips.

• 2 weeks later...
realshelby

Well, I have enough time and miles on the Dunlop RoadSmart III to have developed an opinion and related facts. These tires have just over 4100 miles. This trip had more back roads and a LOT more mountainous terrain than I normally would get. Which should allow longer tire wear? Most of the trip the tire pressures were 38.5 front and 42 rear. New the front tire came with 4/32" tread depth. It is now at 3/32" tread depth. Rear tire came with what I called 7 3/4 /32" tread depth. It is now at 4/32". For comparison, the Bridgestone T-30 EVO's I just took off had 3/32" at 5000 miles on the front, and 4/32" on the rear at 4,300 miles. Considering the RoadSmart III started with more tread depth than the T-30, then measuring and judging mileage by tread depth means the RoadSmart III won't deliver any more mileage than the T-30, maybe not as many miles. I figure if I ever ran a T-30 to the wear bars they are a 7,500-8,000 mile tire on the rear. I wanted a tire that would go further, that is why I tried the RoadSmart III.

Wet Roads: I had several hundred miles of wet roads. The RoadSmart III gave me zero surprises in those conditions. Just like the other tires I have been running.

Handling: These are simply the BEST tires I have run for hard cornering! They roll into the turn without needing a correction like some tires, yet are willing to change a line with little effort. When leaned over hard they do not wiggle or squirm, feel very much like they have plenty of traction left. I left with pressures of 37 front and 41 rear, at just over 1500 miles I thought the front might be feathering/scalloping a bit more than I wanted so I bumped tire pressure to 38.5 front and 42 rear. This took just a bit of the really good feel out of them when leaned over, but still a very good feel.

Noise: Around 1600 miles I started hearing a noise. Could be a bearing or a tire? It is the tires. In a straight line on back roads the noise is quite obvious. Not as noticeable at 75 mph on interstates, it is there but the ambient noise is high. Lean it over and it is very noisy. Getting louder as miles go by. I don't like this, but it would not keep me from buying them if other attributes were good.

Straight line stability: Going down different road surfaces can cause quite a bit of "hunting" on certain front tires. The Continentals my RT came with were the absolute worst at this I have ever seen. These started out good, maybe the equal to the Bridgestone T-30, but seem to have gotten more nervous as miles pile up.

Ride quality: These ride very good! They are only available in the standard version, I was using the "A" spec T-30 with stiffer sidewall. So, these should and do ride better. I am wondering why I was buying the heavier sidewall tire now, they an NO additional load bearing capability and ride is not nearly as compliant.

To summarize these tires do NOT deliver mileage claimed by the manufacturer. Which does not surprise me as they won't guarantee mileage. Propaganda by manufacturers is just that, a sales gimmick. I like the handling, wet manners, looks, and have no really bad things so far to say. Just at the price these will not get more miles than the much less expensive Bridgestone T-30 EVO. Unless they start not wearing much at all, which isn't likely, this will be the last set I buy. The noise, everything else being equal, is enough to keep me away.

Rear:

DSC02115_zpstgx2slsf.jpg

Front:

DSC02114_zpsqwyyjeex.jpg

• 3 months later...

Thank you for this report. I have 10K miles on my '14RT's current PR4's and the front tire wear looks identical to Living the Dream's. I plan to purchase another set but have been considering the RSIII's due to the incentives offered recently. We'll see how it goes at the bike shop in a couple of weeks.

• 4 months later...
Well, I have enough time and miles on the Dunlop RoadSmart III to have developed an opinion and related facts. ...

Straight line stability: Going down different road surfaces can cause quite a bit of "hunting" on certain front tires. The Continentals my RT came with were the absolute worst at this I have ever seen. These started out good, maybe the equal to the Bridgestone T-30, but seem to have gotten more nervous as miles pile up.

Hi Terry, I know this is an old thread, but can you clarify this sentence about straight line stability. You sa,y "can cause quite a bit of "hunting" on certain front tires". Are you saying these RoadSmart III's have that vague feeling , or are you referring to other brands?

Moreover, are you still happy with the RoadSmarts?

Andy, the Roadsmart III is a good feeling front tire. Not nervous like some others. On par with the Bridgestone T-30 in that respect. I will probably run a set of Bridgestone T-31 next and I am hoping the new tread pattern might be even better.

I am conducting this same experiment myself. I posted a similar thread on Facebook on my Moto Mouth page explaining the wear I got from the tires I've run thus far on my Wethead - PR3, PR4, and PR4-GT. I just had the Dunlops installed 2 weeks ago so we''ll see how they hold up. I am in a unique position to judge mileage because 99% of my riding is commuting - same rider, same bike, same roads, every day. So basically, every variable except the tires is taken out of the equation, for a true comparison. I'll let you know in about 10,000 miles how things are going. The current champions for wear for me on the Wethead, far and away, are the PR3s.

-MKL

Put the Dunlop Road III's on at 98700, replaced with PR4GTs at 107000. Not impressed with the feel nor wear. I commute daily, same roads, same routes all weather.

Richard, I'm just glad to see you're not still running those BFBaldrich tires on the RT. ;):grin:

Pat

Oi, the Dunlops were in the same condition when swapped out ;) I run 'em to the threads ;)

• 6 months later...

Time for a final report on the Dunlop Roadsmart 3. 7,300 miles total on front and rear. Rear tire still had 1.5/32nds" of tread as did the front tire. So there were quite a few miles left if I were commuting on these. I cut a patch of rubber out of the center of the tread to see how much rubber was left. A solid 5/32" of rubber there so these tires are not going to show the cords by surprise, the wear indicators can be trusted. Neither tire exhibited bad wear patterns. I will say that the front tire didn't wear well enough to last two rear tires, something that other tires I have run have allowed me to do. Figure that into the equation of "value" overall.

These tires developed a vibration at high speeds about mid way into treadwear. I did balance these when installed .When removed the front tire was checked for balance and it did show out of balance. Weights were in place. Never had a tire do that for what that is worth.

These tires are noisy. In a straight line you can hear them. It is louder as you lean the bike in turns. Not sure if front or rear are worse or if both just make noise. But it is obvious on my RT. I would not keep me from buying again, but it is certainly a negative point. I would have to get a really good price to overcome it.

These tires continued to give a good ride. They are not an "A" spec or "GT" tire, not available that way. So the ride is quite a bit better than the heavier sidewall tires. I will miss that.

Even when worn they had good turn in manners. They also stayed stable in straight line higher speed running. Not nervous or hunting like some tires.

I will say these tires have been the best handling tires I have run on a street bike. When leaned over to the "no chicken strip" level the front tire gives good feedback and does not squirm. Confidence inspiring for sure. You can have the bike leaned over hard and hit the throttle in second gear long before you think you should.....and it simple pulls the bike out of the corner with no drama. Hard to get the edges to show slippage, they stick that well under power.

Had these in quite a bit of wet weather. Never had a tire slip in wet.

Short of a set of Metzeler ME880's I had on my Oilhead RT, these tires have given me more mileage than any other tire I have used on an RT. I don't usually run them to the wear bars, they come off to make ready for a trip typically. I am usually in the 6500 mile range on other rear tires. These are probably 500-1000 miles better. BUT... the front tire would not last but a few thousand more miles so that would not be a good wear report for it. I often get 12K and more out of front tires.

Bottom line-I would buy these again if they didn't develop the noise. But they do and right now a set of Bridgestone T-31 tires are on the RT. They are the A spec and yes the ride is much more firm.

DSC02443_zps5ctggmye.jpg

DSC02442_zpswiistrbv.jpg

Edited by realshelby

These tires developed a vibration at high speeds about mid way into treadwear. I did balance these when installed .When removed the front tire was checked for balance and it did show out of balance. Weights were in place. Never had a tire do that for what that is worth.

Morning

Next set that you install mark the valve stem position on the tire side wall (or take close up picture of side wall writing in relation to valve stem). Every now & then I will see a tire slip a little on the rim screwing up the balance. (I 'think' it happens shortly after mounting if doing a hard stop or two with mounting lube still present)

DR, I suppose it is possible. I do practice full force braking from about 35 mph a few times a year. But this didn't start till several thousand miles were on the tires, well after the RuGlyde was gone. It wasn't too bad, only well above 70 mph. But I hate vibrations......

RecentConvert

Interesting the differences in experience with tires on same model bikes. I've had Dunlop RS3 and Bridgestone T31 on my RT and would rate the Dunlop significantly quieter than the T31. At present I am using up the last life in two tires and have a T31 on the front and RS3 on the rear. Mileage was a clear win for the T31 with a rear making 8000 and the front still going at 11500. The RS3 were done before those mileages. The rear Dunlop doesn't seem to be affected by the front tire much. The T31 is worn and a bit twitchy, The RS3 just rolls on unaffected.

I agree with the handling of the RS3. They were great when new and stayed that way. The T31 had a noticeable change at 4500 miles.

The ride of the Dunlops is better, I found the T31 to be stiff. Interestingly, the Dunlops weigh more than most similar tires while not being uncomfortably stiff.

The mileage of the T31 was/is great, but I prefer the Dunlops. That said,I found a deal on PIrelli Angel GT "A" specs and those will be put on soon.

I had been running mostly PR2, PR3, PR4, PR4GT with a set of Bridgestones slipped in there somewhere. I also had not been too terribly happy with the RSI and RSII from some time ago. Mounted RSIII's for Fall Torrey and CO based on positive reviews and Dunlop's test results/marketing, and returned with now, 4k miles. In so far as I am concerned these tires are fully equivalent to PR4/PR4GT, except price.

I loved the PR4's performance, but not the price. Now I have a great alternative. Hooray for competition. I agree with Terry's observations, except noise. Mine ride quiet. I'll be riding them to Death Valley Days which should bring them up into the 6k range... I've never gotten more than 6-8k from any tire, but most come off early as we are typically heading out for a long trip and change before we go. I never saw the promised longeveity increases in the PR line, and don't expect much extra here.... but we shall see....

Currently at 4k miles 2.0mm front and 3.0mm rear, total tread depth remaining.