IGNORED

AMSOIL 75-90 SYNTHETIC GEAR OIL

boxerguy

Just wondering if anyone is using Amsoil 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Oil...I use this stuff in the Differentials of My Volvo Semi-Tractor and noticed I have Tons of it

left from a 10 gal pail i used the last time...

My 96 R1100RT calls for a 75 or 80W-90 gear lube for the Final Drive and Transmission... Is it preferable to just use a 100% petroleum based lube

or would the fully synthetic Amsoil work equally or better?

Walter

Just wondering if anyone is using Amsoil 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Oil...I use this stuff in the Differentials of My Volvo Semi-Tractor and noticed I have Tons of it

left from a 10 gal pail i used the last time...

My 96 R1100RT calls for a 75 or 80W-90 gear lube for the Final Drive and Transmission... Is it preferable to just use a 100% petroleum based lube

or would the fully synthetic Amsoil work equally or better?

Walter

Afternoon Walter

That Amsoil 75W-90 will work just fine in the transmission & can work in the final drive (80W-90 is very difficult to find in todays market).

Not much of any gain using synthetic in the final drive on the older BMW boxer bikes (big failure point in those is the crown bearing & the synthetic part means nothing to it's life) .

The down side to using some synthetic gear oil's is possible pinion seal seeping.

Personally I usually use conventional gear oil in the BMW 1100 / 1150 final drives as those seem to seep less in those final drives. .

D.R.

Thanks for the input..I think I'll stay with the Valvoline 80W-90 Valvoline for the Final Drive.

I don't know what was used in the Tranny of this 96-r1100rt, but I think I'll go to this Amsoil Synthetic when I change the

Transmission Fluid later today...I think I read somewhere that some riders got considerably reduced noises when shifting

when they had switched to synthetic oils.

Walter

D.R.

Thanks for the input..I think I'll stay with the Valvoline 80W-90 Valvoline for the Final Drive.

I don't know what was used in the Tranny of this 96-r1100rt, but I think I'll go to this Amsoil Synthetic when I change the

Transmission Fluid later today...I think I read somewhere that some riders got considerably reduced noises when shifting

when they had switched to synthetic oils.

Walter

Afternoon Walter

The synthetic gear oil will probably make little or no difference in transmission noise but sometimes new (un- sheered) gear oil will be slightly thicker & might make a very slight difference.

You might get a little better shift quality as the 1996 1100 has "O" rings on the transmission spinning gear to shaft interface to reduce neutral gear rattle & those "O" rings produced drag & hindered shift quality a little.

Using it in the tranny on the RS & GT, have used it in the Diff's also, yet now have just regular gear oil in them..(I think)..