IGNORED

90th Anniversary Edition Fair Price

Pappy35

What would you all consider to be a smoking, can't say no, kinda deal for the following RT:

2013, 90th Edition, Low Seat, about 6,000 miles, bought and serviced at this dealer, no seat heat, radio, ASC, computer, chrome pipe, TPMS, Bluetooth, normal and extra low seats, GPS prep but no GPS unit. I didn't go over it with a fine tooth comb so assume it's mint.

Are any of the online guides like KBB or NADA anywhere near accurate? Is there a better source? I had been set to wait out the year and buy an RTWC but this one popped up at the dealer. I had more or less written off these Camheads but the more I read about them the more I like them. Seem to be pretty much bulletproof.

Would Bring My Wallet for around $8K or $9K if it had an extended warranty. Check CycleTrader for comps.

The Camhead is a great ride.

For a very clean 2013 anniversary addition,$ 8 - 9K would be a steal. I'm thinking more on the line of $10 - 11k would be a great buy. Especially with only 6,000 miles.

Good feedback. I'm in the 'great buy' range here. It's hard to find comps as this particular bike (90th. Ed., low) is, so far, a very unique combo. Using CycleTrader, everything is $11k-$13k and 20k-30k+ miles. This one's just under $11 with only 6k miles. Of course all the comps I could find have ESA so it's hard to know how much its absence is worth, but regardless, at worse this is a fair deal which is OK. I really like that I got there with basically no haggling. I hate haggling and love it when someone just gives me a good offer right off the bat. If the bike rides solid it's more or less sold.

I'm going there Saturday with a microscope and a helmet. I told my wife that there might be a motorcycle in the garage when she gets home Sunday.

Edited by Pappy35

I paid $11,500 for a nearly flawless 90th with a tank bag, big BMW tail bag, fresh service, battery and almost new tires. It does have ESA though. Last year in Colorado.

I did a lot of searching and that was a good deal then, but not fantastic.

If you can get it for that kind of $ you've done just fine.

I live in the mountains and had to ride it home over Monarch Pass in a freezing rain, then only got 2 good rides in before the winter set in. It's a really nice bike, MUCH more comfortable than the FJR I had. And it's beautiful.

I call it the Batman bike.

Don't sweat lack of ESA. You'll fell less guilty when you change out the shocks.

Yeah. The cost of the ESA shocks was the subject of one of my first-ever posts here, or may it was one of the other BMW forums. The term 'sticker shock' doesn't quite cut it.

Never had a bike with ESA-like tuning and I can't miss something I never had (I gotta keep telling myself that). I know that for my inseam, my FJR at 31.7" was challenging at times. This one should be great. Point of fact is that I'm really in a good place to be buying a bike like this right now but this seems like too good an opportunity to miss. We'll see what happens after I ride it. I've never ridden any modern BMW.

I call it the Batman bike.

Gotta go find a sticker. That would be hysterical. Maybe rent a batman costume no do a video like that YouTube channel where the guy has a Batman mask and goes around scaring his wife?

"JENN!!! Check out my new Batcycle!" (search YouTube for 'JEN' and 'Batman' if you don't know what I mean, the guy's really funny)

Edited by Pappy35

I test rode it today. Two firsts for me: 1) first time riding any BMW, and 2) first time I ever actually test rode a bike before I bought it.

Here are a few things I noticed right off the bat:

It vibrates a good deal more than I thought it would. I also noticed that there's a huge amount of flywheel-induced (I presume) rolling when blipping the throttle while stopped or when trying to match engine to gear speed during downshifts. As these are tendencies entirely absent in the parallel twin and inline transverse fours that made up all my motorcycling experience up to today, at first it was pretty distracting. I got it on the highway and at about 70-75 there was, to me, way too much high frequency, low magnitude, vibration. It was bad enough that my hands were starting to go numb. Not good. I could feel it in the grips, even through the seat. I was just about to get off the highway and and head back when I noticed that there was still one more gear to go. Haha. Once I dropped it into 6th it settled down very nicely so I kept going.

The dealer gave me the keys, and told me to have fun and what time they closed. I really loved that. No pressure. I took my time and rode a route that took me on the highway for a while, down some moderately twisty roads, through a congested retail area notorious for bad, distracted, and cranky drivers, then finally back on the highway back to the dealer. It was really good exploration of the bike in different conditions. I even got in some low speed parking lot stuff. I'll need a lot of work there BTY. Overall I had it out for about an hour. Didn't touch any of the gizmos. This was just about the machine and how it rides.

Comparing it to my memory of my FJR. 1st gear seemed pretty tall and needed more clutch feathering than I was expecting. Downshifting is something it needs more of to get up and go. But, of course, the FJR made 30+ more HP and had much higher torque numbers at the crank so I'm not surprised. It handles a little heavier/slower. By its own reckoning I got 50mpg which was very nice. Overall I am very impressed and the vibes and rolling I mentioned are really nothing more than minor things. Grip puppies will fix one and the rolling doesn't have any effect at all on handling that I can tell so I don't really care. I love the way it sounds! It's like a sewing machine whizzing away down there. The exhaust note is throaty but not loud. Once it comes up into the torque band it pulls like a freight train. In turns it stays right where you tell it to go. Seat height with the standard seat in the low position was perfect for me and my stubby little legs. Way better than any other bike I've owned.

The bike was dropped by one of the previous owners and if the dealer fixes the pannier (he's got a paint guy who might be able to repair the deep scratches it has), buys me a set of those BMW plastic engine guards to cover the minor scratches on the cover, and one other very minor ding, I think I'm good to go.

I now know why you guys are so passionate, maybe even cultish, about these boxers. They have personality and, as Winston said "personality goes a long way."

hHmFp4lNxgpvzxCG2

So I have the exact same bike I purchased in June '15. It replaced my '10 RT. My new bike had 2700 miles on the clock. It's got 55+K miles now. Still running fine. I probably paid too much for it so I'll keep that to myself.

You pay for shipping and I'll send you the BMW plastic valve cover guards.

Enjoy your new ride.

Highwayman, thanks. That's very nice of you. If I close on the deal and the dealer balks at throwing in a set, I'll take you up on that. I should know for sure middle of the week. I'll send you a PM one way or the other.

So I have the exact same bike I purchased in June '15. It replaced my '10 RT. My new bike had 2700 miles on the clock. It's got 55+K miles now. Still running fine. I probably paid too much for it so I'll keep that to myself.

Wow. Two and half years or so and you put 52k on?!? That's a lot of riding. I might do 10 or 15 thousand a year so I should be set for a long time.

Hope it works out for you.

Please ask about shift rpm's of people who own the cam.

I usually saw people who were first time BMW riders short shifted resulting in

vibrations.

Not talking the 75ish vibe, but getting around town.

My experience was always best when revs up, YMMV.

Best wishes.

That could be true too. I only have, what, 40 miles total experience. 8-) It bothered me initially but as I rode it, vibes drifted out of my consciousness.

I'm just waiting on the dealer now about the items I want them to correct.

Edited by Pappy35
MichiganBob

Yes, congrats and welcome to the club. If this is a BMW dealer, you might want to ask him to sync the throttles in case that is what is causing the higher speed vibration.

Bob

It is a dealer and they just completed the 6k service. I'm going to go over the bike once I get it home and I'll be sure to check that.

MichiganBob

I've been riding BMW horizontal twins since 1971 as well as some other types of motor configuration. The reason I like this type of motor so much is because of the dialogue we have. The bike is not appliance smooth like so many multiple cylinders bikes such as the FZR or Honda ST. It has some vibration at certain speeds and in some gears but newer ones like my 2012 or your 2013 should not have too much vibration. What is too much? I did put some grip puppies on which made a difference. Other than that, the mirror will blur at certain times but once I'm at 4,000 in top gear, they are clear. There are folks who will no like the BMW buzz and expected or want something smoother, Amen to that I say. For me the little buzz is just part of our communication loop and is both welcomed and a reminder that under me is a comparatively uncomplicated twin cylinder horizontally opposed twin. It's the best I can do in describing the idiosyncratic quirky 1200RT.

B

For me the little buzz is both welcomed and a reminder that under me is a comparatively uncomplicated twin cylinder horizontally opposed twin.

At the end of my test ride I think this is exactly where I landed. I already ordered the grip puppies. 8-)

Hey Pappy, that bike looks familiar. Nice looking!

Does it have a dashboard shelf? If so, which one? Thoughts?

I want to mount a Nuvi GPS and it seems like above the dash is the best place.

The previous owner installed the BMW GPS mount which is a bar that mounts to under the shield and has the dock for the GPS. I didn't get the GPS though there wiring is there. Might be a future farkle (the actual GPS that is).

You pay for shipping and I'll send you the BMW plastic valve cover guards.

Enjoy your new ride.

Here's a shout out to one righteous motorcycle brethren! Thank you for the engine guards!!!