IGNORED

WT trans

JamesW

profbodryak

I have been experiencing some occasional grinding with quickshifter downshifts and clutch upshifts which I have noticed to be more common as my oil gets older. I have heard that the 2017/2018 model is much smoother. Even my friends GS wethead is smoother. Mine is 2014. Also, can't wait for the new RT with a TFT display!

No Tell us more. Are you having problems...if so and at what mileage.

No, I'm not having problems and I don't own a wethead. I was just curious if anyone had experienced any problems with the integrated transmission. i have thought about taking the plunge on a new R1200RT but so far I've resisted the temptation. Not sure I like the idea of an R1250RT and it might even keep up with my FJR and we can't have that, only kidding.

No issues and I would say less idiosyncratic than my R259 drive train.

Always tough to decide now or next iteration of the model. Could be waiting until forever to pull the trigger if you always are waiting for the next thing. While it seems major redesign cycles come faster now than 10 or 20 years ago, the new wet head is a huge jump forward from previous models and worthy of an upgrade decision vs previous vintages. BMW will likely keep the basic K52 drive train for a long time with incremental improvements coming every few years. I rode a 2017RT with several thousand miles on it while my 2015RT was in for a major service and while yes maybe the ‘17 shifted slightly smoother, it was not a huge difference, certainly not enough to make me sad I bought a ‘15 model year.

I admit the red on black color scheme with a TFT dash might get me to trade in my ‘15. A few more ponies and VVT will not because my current RT has more performance capability and than my personal riding envelope so I am fully satisfied with that aspect of the new platform.

I have noticed some slight teething (grinding) on clutched upshifts on first to second shifts on my 17. Of course with all the thunderstorms since I got her I only have 1000 miles. I assume it will smooth out as usual.

I wonder if anyone has had any issues with the integrated engine/transmission on their wethead?

Yes. It got sweeter for the 2017 onwards bikes. Other than that, I have never heard of any real issues.

I have noticed some slight teething (grinding) on clutched upshifts on first to second shifts on my 17.

I have the same problem with my 18, except when it gets really hot, like a150-200 miles into a ride, I am also having problems down shifting from 5th to 4th and from 4th to 3rd gear.

It doesn't matter if I use the clutch or the clutchless shift assist. It's almost like the gear box or linkage is jammed. I release the clutch let it coast and then pull the clutch lever again and it will down shift.

I can't repeat it and I get not warning of when it will happen.

Yes, I know, don't rest your foot on the shifter or below it. I have the balls of my feet normally placed on the pegs and my toes are far away from the shifter.

Dealer has been notified, but doesn't know what to do or doesn't think I know what I am doing.

The dealer didn't see anything out of the ordinary at the 6K service and on the 2 mile test ride it behaved perfect. Bike has a little over 7,000 miles on it.

Hi Bernie, On occasion I get stuck in between gears and when this happens I try and come to a stop then shut down the motor and rock the bike back and forth while downshifting back to first. This would happen on my '04RT.

BMW has been known for a few transmission issues over the years and I was surprised to see them producing a wet clutch with integrated engine/transmission motorcycles. Jeez, I've had happier thoughts than having to go the cost for splitting the case to troubleshoot a tranny problem. If this happened with my FJR I would throw up my hands and just part it out. The R1200RT wouldn't be as bad, not good but not as bad I think. Always liked the BMW dry clutch bikes. Maybe more hassle to change a clutch pack but they did have their advantages. Also, I like double sided swing arms with axles. I think I'm just an airhead kind of guy and probably in more ways than one, oh wellll...

Thanks James for your response.

The problem you are having with your 04 RT is normally due to dry splines on the clutch assembly, like the motor and transmission splines.

I had that with my 2000 R1100RT. But the stuff that is going on with the 2018 RT's transmission and/or clutch are nothing I ever had in almost 300,000 miles on my R11RT or my 2007 R1200RT.

I will be returning to the dealer tomorrow and they will see what they can find.

Edited by Bernie
Rider1200RT

Hi Bernie, :wave: that is definitely not a normal thing going on with your bike. I'm a tick over 10K and the transmission is smooth as butter, for a BMW :rofl: and has no stickiness to it. Same with my brother's RT with 6K miles.

Must be no consistency from BMW. My 17.5 GS shifts like butter. A snick, hot or cold into first. My 15 RT was fine ice cold, once oil came up to temp it clunked.

Not sure how there can be so much difference in peoples experience on these Gen 3 WC bikes?

SAP I can see as if it is not run after resetting the transmission, it will be terrible. Some techs will reset SAP and run it on the center stand in all 6 gears for 10 seconds. I have been told by 2 Master Techs that the bike needs to be run as the front wheel sensor is involved in sending information to the "brain" and in turn to SAP. Not gonna argue it as I did 1 16 GS that the shops had done. We did it on a live rode, and after the restart, the SAP worked like butter.

At any rate I just do not get the spread of great to grind on shifting of 17 and above WC bikes?

Edited by LAF

Hi again Bernie, I guess you could say i solved the '04RT problem by selling the bike when i got my FJR. I had done a spline lube on the RT at around 35K miles and the splines were showing no signs of wear at the time. I just always chalked the occasional shifting issue up to being typical BMW. I recall how my '77 R75/7 shifted and compared to that the '04 was perfect. I wouldn't exactly call the 5 speed FJR the smoothest shifting bike in the world either. It's not bad and what with all that power you don't shift much anyway. I have always thought my somewhat clunky shifting issues have maybe been my own fault to a degree because of not so great hand and or foot coordination. Got to mention what changing the trans lube to Motul moly 80/90wt gear lube on the '93 R1100RSL did for stopping the noise when idling in neutral and also resulting in almost butter smooth shifts with the original equipment M93 transmission. I just can't believe it! Wonder what trying different motor oils would do for your R1200RT? Speaking of the new wetheads I better stay clear of the BMW dealer if i know whats good for me and my pocket book and probably my marriage as well. lol..lol..

Hey, check out the reviews on Amazon for the Motul 7100 oils for motorcycles and it's JASO MA2 rated. Price isn't bad either.

Now, I didn't want to turn this into an oil thread but........

Edited by JamesW

James I am very happy for you to find happiness on your Yamaha.

I am riding a BMW, the dealer changed the oil two times with BMW oil. At $26,000.00 I do not have to experiment with different oils. And by the way 80/90 Gear oil is the wrong oil for any BMW rear drive or transmission.

The problem you had with your BMW is something I never had in 290,000+ miles on BMW motorcycles.

Actually I never really was at all concerned with the shifting on my R1150RT after i began short shifting between 1st and 2nd which i also do on my 1100 and as I say I think any issue I had with the RT was mostly me anyway and maybe had a bit to do with the new to me hydraulic clutch which was hard for me to get used to.

So, what weight gear oil would you recommend for my FD and trans? On page 43 of the R1100RS Service and Technical Booklet (US-Model) the gear oil specified for the bike is 90W above 5 degrees C, 80W for below 5 degrees C, and as an alternative 80W90. Kind of hard to find straight 90W.

Only real issues I ever had with my '04RT was a slight lean burn surge which a wideband O2 sensor with LC-2 controller completely cured (thanx Roger) and the controversial servo assist ABS system. Other than these two items it was a great bike and there are times when I wish I hadn't sold it. We had a lot of great rides on the big blue beast.

As far as the FJR is concerned I like the bike in some ways as much as the '04RT and in some ways not especially when performing some maintenance items. Grrrrrr.....