IGNORED

Shiny things for just-bought 2018 RT

MightNotBeThere

MightNotBeThere

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted here as I've been GSA-ing for a few years, but am now back on an RT again. Hope it's the right decision!

There are a few items that I'd like to add to the bike almost immediately:

- Engine guards ( possibly rear case guards). Any recommendations as to manufacturer?

- Paint protective film

- Top case (probably Shad) for occasional use

- Fender extenders (at least in front, undecided about the rear)

I'll also install (taken off my GSA) Clearwater lights / Steibel horn (if it will fit) / radar detector / laser jammer / auxiliary brake light

I don't want to festoon this thing like a Christmas tree, but I would like to do it all at once.

Is there anything that the collective wisdom suggests is essential or at least really useful?

I'm going to think about ergonomics (Russell etc) after I have a few miles on the bike.

Alex

Edited by Alex_OL

Sounds like you have a good plan! :thumbsup: What color did ya get?

Just an FYI, if you ever wander back to the dirty side you need not leave, plenty of GS riders here! :beer:

Pat

Hello Alex

My ‘14 RT came with engine guards (brand unknown) but I would not recommend them as they have to be loosened if not removed to remove the valve covers. I've seen Ilium bars mentioned a lot on this forum. The tank slapped.biz has the paint protection film kit. I just installed a MachineartMoto fender extender that fastens on with screw clamps vs double sided tape and is longer to keep more spray off the engine. Tour rear fender should have the ability to drop down once you loosen a screw in the center. I went with the factory top box and added the factory light hooked up to a Skene Design controller so it can act as both a marker and brake light. But some of the SHAD boxes can expand and contract in size as needed.

Have fun!

I dropped my new 2016 on the last trip. I was making a u-turn on a dirt section of road. Got a little tight, put my foot down, and it slipped out. Down I went, and $1,000 later I decided to get the Illium guards. It's a top heavy bike, and $350 or so seems like cheap insurance. I bought the BMW brand case guards after shopping quite a bit. Happy with them. I don't ride at night very much, but I noticed that the lighting didn't seem that good. I would buy aftermarket lights if I rode at night more often. Plus they help during the day also. I bought the BMW top case, the premium one, and added the light bar. Costly but I like the added bonus of extra lighting in back. I've been tempted to get a canbus controller for the light, but I doubt I'll bother. I bought a kit that is highly reflective black tape. You can barely see it on the side cases and top case, but it lights up like Christmas when light hits it. I bought a Werks windshield from Terry who is on these forums. Great windshield, and it's Terry that told me about the reflective tape. I also bought a Russell Day Long seat. They are in Shasta, California. I made a great weekend trip out of it. The seat was fitted to me, and I got to try it before they put the cover on. Super comfortable. 500 mile days are no problem.

MightNotBeThere
I dropped my new 2016 on the last trip. I was making a u-turn on a dirt section of road. Got a little tight, put my foot down, and it slipped out. Down I went, and $1,000 later I decided to get the Illium guards. It's a top heavy bike, and $350 or so seems like cheap insurance. I bought the BMW brand case guards after shopping quite a bit. Happy with them. I don't ride at night very much, but I noticed that the lighting didn't seem that good. I would buy aftermarket lights if I rode at night more often. Plus they help during the day also. I bought the BMW top case, the premium one, and added the light bar. Costly but I like the added bonus of extra lighting in back. I've been tempted to get a canbus controller for the light, but I doubt I'll bother. I bought a kit that is highly reflective black tape. You can barely see it on the side cases and top case, but it lights up like Christmas when light hits it. I bought a Werks windshield from Terry who is on these forums. Great windshield, and it's Terry that told me about the reflective tape. I also bought a Russell Day Long seat. They are in Shasta, California. I made a great weekend trip out of it. The seat was fitted to me, and I got to try it before they put the cover on. Super comfortable. 500 mile days are no problem.

Just an FYI, if you ever wander back to the dirty side you need not leave, plenty of GS riders here! :beer:

Pat

I looked very carefully, but couldn't find any OEM BMW engine protection bars for the RT. Can you point me in the right direction, please?

Alex

Edited by Alex_OL
MightNotBeThere

Pat

White seemed reasonable - people ALWAYS seem to see police bikes, so thought I'd sort of take advantage of that!

Good to hear there are GS riders here - would hate to be totally exiled.

Alex

MightNotBeThere
Hello Alex

My ‘14 RT came with engine guards (brand unknown) but I would not recommend them as they have to be loosened if not removed to remove the valve covers. I've seen Ilium bars mentioned a lot on this forum. The tank slapped.biz has the paint protection film kit. I just installed a MachineartMoto fender extender that fastens on with screw clamps vs double sided tape and is longer to keep more spray off the engine. Tour rear fender should have the ability to drop down once you loosen a screw in the center. I went with the factory top box and added the factory light hooked up to a Skene Design controller so it can act as both a marker and brake light. But some of the SHAD boxes can expand and contract in size as needed.

Have fun!

Sounds like those are NOT the guards I want! Could you post a picture so maybe we could identify them?

Leaning towards Touratech at the moment, but they seem a bit fugly, and may have to be removed for service which is a no-no.

Alex

I like my Ilium crash bars (front and rear) because they blend in so well with the bike. Also, I got the foot rests from Ilium which are very nice. The silver powder coat matches the RT's silver nicely. The fenda extenda I bought suggests using something more than the double-sided tape, but that requires removing the fender, which, apparently, means removing the front tire! I like the SW-Motech tank bags: day pack for around town, and a larger version for my summer touring. As for rear brake lights, I am also seeking a more conspicuous unit.

Edited by Rob Nowell
Charles Elms

Check on availability of extra key blanks if you go the SHAD route. I have a nice pair of side cases from them for my VStrom, but cannot find blanks for extra keys.

Hello Alex

I've tried uploading pics but have been unable to unless I shrink it down. Which is what I did for my profile pic. On my iPad when I tap on the pic it goes to my profile page. I can then enlarge it and see the bars pretty well. Hopefully that will work for you.

I won't be able to try uploading a pic for a couple of weeks. I looked at the forum instructions but haven't figured it out yet!

I looked at Wunderlich engine guards and that is what they appear to be. Wunderlich says they don't have to be removed, just loosened. I found they needed to be loosened a LOT to get the valve covers off.

Motobricker

I just picked up my Option 719 on Friday. The ride home was great. Much more responsive when compared to my 08 RT. Only thing I did like is the rock hard seat, but have scheduled a seat upgrade on April 24, even before I picked up the bike. Oh and the grips are way too narrow. Grip pups will fix that. Like the guy who started this I added valve cover protection, Clearwater lights, new horn and a left side plug for my heatd gear. Also did the Lummix Clear covering for painted parts. I got every option available for the 719, which included trunk and top light. Love it so far

As already noted the MachineArtMoto fender extender is a great addition. Well designed and keeps more stuff off than other brands and the finish looks factory. I added the MAM engine protectors as well as I liked them better than all other options and they work for the protection I am looking for. I am seriously considering the Illium Works rear bag protectors. And if you are looking for true front "crash bars" the Illium product there looks to to be the best around.

https://machineartmoto.com/r1200rt/2014-rt_lc/x-head_lc/

AV-RT_LC-710x320.jpg

http://www.iliumworks.com/R_1200_RTW_(WATER___LIQUID_COOLED).cfm

47537500030-200A.jpg

47537500030-800BL1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I got a set of Clearwater Erica lights with the Police brackets above the handlebars. Best option ever. A new seat, OEM protectors and Machineartmotor fender extension. Very happy with the outcome.

• 2 months later...

I pick up my 2018 on Saturday and like you intend to strip it and install everything in one go before the 600 service. Lucky for me I have all the bits having taken them off my just sold 2015 R1200RT LE.

Here is the list from memory (too lazy to go out and check what is in the boxes in the garage):-

* LED headlight bulbs,

* Fender extender front and rear

* Dash cams front and rear,

* Self install the BMW LED running lights (from my now sold 2015 RT)

* Larger windscreen

* Old Timers Nav V locking mechanism (works with central locking)

* Rear fog light - wired to a switch in an old RT P two switch cluster

* Garage door opener remote - wired to the other switch in the old RT P two switch cluster

* Autocom

* Front disc dust covers

* Side stand footplate extender

* Illium bar baks

* Illium engine bars

* BMW cylinder protectors

* BMW security oil filler cap

* Swing arm crash bung

* Various plastic "caps" to fill in the "holes" that BMW could not be bothered to sort out

* Crud protector

* BMW (RT P?) infill panels around the rider and pillion foot areas

* Foot peg lowering kit

* Gear lever extension

* Rear brake pedal extension

* Screaming Banshee horn (as well as the oem one)

* Caliper mounted Clearwater lights

* Rewire front power socket to be always on

* PDM60

* Extra mirrors (from the 1200 GS)

* Additional LED rear light bar mounted below the number plate

* Vololight controller

* Reflective black decals for the panniers and top box

* First aid kit box, fits behind the number plate

* Barkbuster handle bar mitts

I put paint protector film on my R1150RT, what a waste of time. I could always see it and never did anything that the film would have helped with. YMMV!!

I think that is about it, ask me again a week on Sunday!