IGNORED

Buying a 2007 R1200RT.

AviP

I'm looking at buying this bike with 15K miles on it. I've already searched the forum and came across "whizzy" brakes and aluminum rear in the 2005-06 models. I assume the 07s don't have these problems but correct me if I'm wrong.

Anything else I should check for?

I'm looking at buying this bike with 15K miles on it. I've already searched the forum and came across "whizzy" brakes and aluminum rear in the 2005-06 models. I assume the 07s don't have these problems but correct me if I'm wrong.

Anything else I should check for?

8/06 build date & above doesn't have the whizzy brakes.

It WAS built with the aluminum rear wheel flange so unless the BMW flange recall has been done it might still have the OEM aluminum wheel flange (but BMW should take of that for you if it is still aluminum)

Should look for the FPC (Fuel Pump Controller) if is the old silver should change it. If has the newer, that is all black, you are good there.

Is located on the tank, left side. If you buy it, enjoy it! Is a great bike!

Sounds good. Also, does the 1200 have any of the spline issues of the 1150s?

Morning AviP

No not many spline issues but the pre 08 1200 bikes did have some drive shaft problems.

Dennis Andress

Things I learned after buying a 2005 R1200 ST with 45,000 miles:

• Too many trips to a car wash had trashed both the front wheel and swingarm bearings
  • The new(ish) wavy rotors were warped because too much Loctite was used on assembly
  • The upper, rear, shock bolt was installed backwards reaming out the hole the bolt head should fit in.

I missed all of that except the warped rotors because I had no experience with R bikes.

Morning DR. So is there a simple check or just luck of the draw? The bike I'm checking out has only 15K.

Morning AviP

No simple check without removing the drive shaft & even then might not be visible. Some failed most don't but there was enough of a problem that BMW re-designed the shaft post 2007.

So i test drove the 1200RT.

The good: Engine sounded fine, clutch had no detectable slip, steering tracked straight with hands off, no noticeable oil leaks.

The bad: Tires were 5 years old but had full tread, exhaust had staining and looked older than it should have, front brake pads were worn down, minor scuffs marks on side bag and rear bag, aluminum rear wheel flange recall was not done.

The ugly: Scuff marks on the engine guard, mirrors were duct taped on because apparently they fall off. Is that true? This part looked really weird.

I was unable to verify the FPC type.

This was the first time I was riding a 1200RT and it wasn't exactly a wow experience. The mirrors seemed small and awkwardly placed compared to my 1100RT. The hand controls (left side) seemed harder to reach than the 1100RT. The windshield seemed much smaller visually but did not seem to affect ride quality (although all I did was 5 miles at highway speed). The overall look was not appealing. The power delivery was the only wow factor.

For those of you who have moved from a 1100RT to a 1200RT, am I off base? I love my 1100RT even more now (except for damn tupperware).

BTW, I tested this for my brother who crashed his Concours 12 and wants to switch to BMW. Not sure if I mentioned that before.

Mirrors are a joke. And yes, they can fall off easily, but is an easy fix. I have installed a set of real mirrors. You can find all kinds aftermarket on eBay.That should not worry you.

Yes mirrors can fall off. They are held by gromets. But not that easily

I installed tethers as safety

R1200_Rt_mirror_tether2.jpg

I also installed handlebar mirrors. The 07 has holes in the handlebars to install them.

Sena_Remote.jpg

While the mirrors *can* fall off (I guess) - they don't do that on their own as you're cruising down the road minding your own business - unless they were not pushed snugly on the grommets. They are 'break away' mirrors. And yes, you can buy tethers for them so if you bump into something and knock one off, it won't hit the ground. BMW started putting tethers on the mirrors at some point, I believe with the Wethead model.

One the exhaust - are you taking about the muffler or the header coming off the head? You can clean up the headers, but they turn ugly quickly again. :dontknow:

Edited by Indy Dave

I have a set of tethers from Touratech for sale. Never had the mirrors come of in 188,700 miles. Of course they have to be installed and seated in their holders all the way.

Avi,

I'm not that far away, if you want extra eyes or hands on the bike, let me know. I sent you a PM with my number

While the mirrors *can* fall off (I guess) - they don't do that on their own as you're cruising down the road minding your own business - unless they were not pushed snugly on the grommets. They are 'break away' mirrors. And yes, you can buy tethers for them so if you bump into something and knock one off, it won't hit the ground. BMW started putting tethers on the mirrors at some point, I believe with the Wethead model.

One the exhaust - are you taking about the muffler or the header coming off the head? You can clean up the headers, but they turn ugly quickly again. :dontknow:

I had a dealer notice that my mirrors didn't have tethers and he installed them for free when other service was done. YMMV.

We have a pair of '07's with about 80k miles on each. There have been several recalls besides the change from the AL wheel flange. If memory serves, there was an ignition transponder ring recall and brake line re-route recall. You should make sure all were done, but I think the dealers would still do them for you, if necessary. There have been a few drive shaft failures and I agree, they are unpredictable. I only know of two or three. The big issue is premature final drive failure. Again, unpredictable and many arguments over the rate of failures. My personal belief is that is around 5-10%, but that argument is like oil... No one out here has any real data and opinion is all over the place.

Assuming the bikes are tuned properly you shouldn't have any issues with surging, whizzy brakes, or other untoward performance issues. We have never had a mirror fall out without ground contact... DAMHIK. Unfortunately, the mirrors are not located well, and I would agree that a set of aftermarket mirrors are a good idea... but we never got any ourselves.

Enjoy the bike.

I went ahead and made the purchase. My brother is very happy. Thanks to everyone for educating me on the 1200RT. It gave me the info needed to make a smart purchase.

My brother will be joining the forum soon. :)