IGNORED

Question on 2012 GSA

peb

Looking at purchasing a 2012 GSA with 49,000 miles, many extras. Are there any issues to be aware of on the 2012 model year?

Thanks in advance for any information.

My 2012 regular GS has been flawless in the (no chuckling) sixteen thousand miles I've ridden it. :thumbsup: If you have some info on the bike's history and it appears clean, go for it! Price, fair?

Pat

Looking at purchasing a 2012 GSA with 49,000 miles, many extras. Are there any issues to be aware of on the 2012 model year?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Morning Peb

The 2012 1200GS seems to be a pretty decent year. It was prior to the front suspension recalls of fork tubes separating & fork nuts coming loose.

About the only thing that stands out is some handlebar switch pod failures & most of those were addressed by BMW under a good will type warranty.

If the bike was used heavily off-road then look the lower engine case over with a fine tooth comb as I have welded up two of those now for broken engine cases (usually caused by aftermarket heavy duty skid plate attachment to the engine case bosses)

Thanks for the responses. This bike is at a dealership. This dealership sold this bike new to the person who has since traded for brand new one and they have done all the service work. One owner, one dealer doing all the maintenance makes me more comfortable about the history.

Thanks for the responses. This bike is at a dealership. This dealership sold this bike new to the person who has since traded for brand new one and they have done all the service work. One owner, one dealer doing all the maintenance makes me more comfortable about the history.

Afternoon Peb

If the dealer has done all the maintenance, knows it's entire history, & the bike is as good as they claim then see if they will offer a 30 warranty on problems. In fact tell them you won't buy it without that warranty.

If they balk then what are they hiding?

Edited by dirtrider

I have an '11 and between my wife (she stole it from me:) and me, we have logged 57,000 miles - no troubles at all. I just put it up for sale today as she bought a '15 R1200R because it's shorter and lighter. Otherwise, we would be keeping it.. Look on ADVRider, the other GS sites or PM me.

• 4 weeks later...

Afternoon Peb

If the dealer has done all the maintenance, knows it's entire history, & the bike is as good as they claim then see if they will offer a 30 warranty on problems. In fact tell them you won't buy it without that warranty.

If they balk then what are they hiding?

A 30 month warranty would be rather unusual, on any bike 7 or more model years old, regardless of provenance.

Perhaps asking for a good price on a warranty from 3rd party?

If you know of a dealership offereing such a warranty on resales, please advise, that would good to know.

Best wishes.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: Purchased the bike and I'm really enjoying it. I was able to talk in detail to the original owner and he went over the bike with me. Thanks for all that gave input.