IGNORED

SW-Motech Tank Ring

AndyS

I have just fitted the SW-Motech Tank Ring to my Wethead.

As a design engineer, I find a couple of things about it a little hard to live with. I thought I'd ask those of you who have them, what you feel about it.

The rear part (the open ended part) of the horse shoe ring has very sharp edges on it. This is caused by the chamfer in the rear parts. Can you think why that needs to be so sharp?

Secondly there are 5 spacers that lift the tank ring clear of the tank. Do you users feel that these need to be this long?

Cheers.

Bill_Walker

I can't say that I've noticed the sharp edges. I can think of a couple of reasons for the spacers. One is that the gas cap is not flat (mine isn't, anyway, but my bike does have the keyless starting option), so the spacers may be required to keep the tank bag from making contact with the cap. Second, the sensor for the keyless starting option (and I think also for the smart security key if you have regular key) is located somewhere in the gas cap area. A little space might be needed to avoid blocking the signal. Another reason is that the fabric of the tank bag may sag, and this gives it a little extra altitude to keep it from touching the tank.

Bill_Walker

I washed my bike today and ran my fingers over the ring, and I see what you mean. Those inside corners are pretty sharp. I pretty much only have the tank bag off if I'm parked for the night or stopping for gas, so I guess I haven't had occasion to notice.