IGNORED

Schuberth C4 reviews

johnlt

Thinking about a new helmet. I've had three Schuberth helmets including my 5 year old C3 and all have worked fine. I'm interested in their new C4 with integrated comms so have been reading reviews on this helmet. Seems to be just as many negative comments as positive. I understand everyone's head is different so what fits one person may not fit a different person so expected some differences there. However, on noise, the comments are all over the place from "very noisy to very quiet. Quality goes from poor to excellent. Reading reviews seems almost worthless. Have others found this to be true?

A few weeks back I started musing aloud about possibly moving to a modular helmet, never having had one. I looked at the C4 on Revzilla's site, and elsewhere. On Revzilla, I was surprised at how lukewarm the comments were, especially given the price of a C4. I also read that the optional integrated intercom was based on the 10 series Sena technology, which didn't seem to make a lot of sense to me. I also read reviews from the UK that considered the C3 Pro a better helmet than the newer C4, going so far as to say that Schuberth should admit that the C4 was an attempt to attract riders of sportier bikes. All this to say, I've struck the C4 off my list of possible purchases. Instaed, I've moved to considering the new Shoei Neotec II. It's out in Europe, but won't be available here until late April (at least according to Revzilla). The Shoei also has an optional integrated Sena intercom, the SRL, and it's based on the newer 20S technology (not 30K, though). Unlike the C4, the Neotec II does not come with speakers and mic pre-installed from the factory, but it does have compartments, and channels, built into the helmet to easily accept the SRL's components (Sena has a YouTube video outlining the installation procedure).The reviews I've read so far about the Neotec II have been positive.

The one other consideration about moving to a modular with an integrated intercom, is the use of in-helmet speakers. Right from my first Autocom in 2007, and on up to several Sena's, I have never used the helmet speakers. Instead, I have always used ArizonAl's custom-moulded earbuds. There is no provision for using earbuds with the Sena SRL. Given I always wear earplugs when I ride, I just wonder how much I'd actually hear from helmet speakers, when I'm wearing ear plugs (also custom-moulded by ArizonaAl). While I will be able to try on a Neotec II at a retailer, I don't expect be able to try it with the Sena SRL installed.

Edited by marcopolo

The one other consideration about moving to a modular with an integrated intercom, is the use of in-helmet speakers. Right from my first Autocom in 2007, and on up to several Sena's, I have never used the helmet speakers. Instead, I have always used ArizonAl's custom-moulded earbuds. There is no provision for using earbuds with the Sena SRL. Given I always wear earplugs when I ride, I just wonder how much I'd actually hear from helmet speakers, when I'm wearing ear plugs (also custom-moulded by ArizonaAl). While I will be able to try on a Neotec II at a retailer, I don't expect be able to try it with the Sena SRL installed.

Can you not mount a Sena 10S or 20S on the outside of the Shoei? Then you know you can use your Arizona Al ear plug speakers.

Rider1200RT

My brother and I both have the C3 Pro and a C4 and the C4 is quieter and more comfortable to us. As for the integrated comm system it works quite well too. Maybe we got lucky but so far so good.

I saw the reviews too and decided to go ahead anyway as they are all over the place making a choice difficult if you are to believe them. YMMV

Can you not mount a Sena 10S or 20S on the outside of the Shoei? Then you know you can use your Arizona Al ear plug speakers.

Not very easily, Bernie. Certainly could not use the metal clamp from what I can see, only a glue-on installation. And, I'm not sure how feasible it is with the flip-up chin bar. No doubt the integral Sena unit would be a much cleaner installation, with the added bonus of it being protected from the rain. My brand new (at the time) 10S got absolutely drenched in a torrential downpour on my way out to the UnRally in Montana in 2016, to the point I could not use it. I had a friend, that I was meeting in Colorado on the way out, buy me a replacement. When I got home a few weeks later, I sent to the original back to Sena for warranty replacement.

As for John's dilemma, if your not in a big hurry, why not wait to compare the Schuberth with the Shoei.

I appreciate the input. I think I'll wait a bit. I'm using my C3 with a Sena 20S and it works great except at interstate speeds, I need to use my AZ Al's earbuds. Speakers are great at 60mph and below and no hassle with wires but at interstate speeds, earbuds are far superior. I've been told the C4 is much quieter so thought I might get along with no earbuds but I'm a little cautious now. Thanks, johnlt

I have not found Schuberth to be a superior helmet on any level. I cannot understand the hype around the brand honestly. I am a long time rider and have owned many helmets. I have a S20 in my C3...very average. And it's not that quiet. It is not very well vented (and definitely should NOT be bought by anyone riding in Florida!). It was my first Schuberth; it will also be my last. I do commend them however on their marketing prowess in creating the "mystique".

fourteenfour

I looked at both a C4 and Neotec 2 today while visiting my dealer, I am going to wait till they have demo units for the Neotech to try them head to head. Shoei fit me better and even just in showroom fitting I found the chin bar too close in the C4. I need something quieter than my RF SR. Never owned a modular but might make the switch. I did notice that nearly all modular helmets have a neckroll which should make them quieter than my RF SR. the issue facing the neotec 2 is the Sena SRL system which does not seem to support swapping the battery

Edited by CommuterChris
...the issue facing the neotec 2 is the Sena SRL system which does not seem to support swapping the battery

But, is there any Sena intercom that's designed for battery replacement, notwithstanding that some people have taken their intercom apart, and replaced the battery with one they found on the internet?

I have a Shoei GT Air which I like. I tried the Schuberth and it was a close call which one to keep. Anyway I have a Sena U10 (I think that's the model). It integrates into the helmet. All inside, nothing on the outside except the battery which is in back on the bottom. It works great. I assume, since the battery is a separate unit, that it could be replaced.

RecentConvert

I bought new helmets late last fall. My local dealer allowed me to test ride the Shoei Neotech, Schuberth C3 Pro, and Schuberth C4 back to back to back for about 90 minutes. The Shoei was louder than either of the Schuberth helmets by a noticeble amount and was eliminated early. The C3 Pro and C4 have very different feel to them. The C3 Pro feels compact and has a smaller visual range side to side and vertically. The C4 feels more open. Quietness was very similar. Buffeting and lift characteristics are different, with the C4 feeling lighter to possibly a bit of lift at speed. Speeds ranged between in town to well over the posted limits.

Bottom line, I bought the C3 Pro and have used it for about 1800 miles so far. I like it. The bottom line was price. I judged them about equal in most categories, but the C3Pro was $200 cheaper. I have my Scala Packtalk glued to the side. Works great.

fourteenfour
...the issue facing the neotec 2 is the Sena SRL system which does not seem to support swapping the battery

But, is there any Sena intercom that's designed for battery replacement, notwithstanding that some people have taken their intercom apart, and replaced the battery with one they found on the internet?

I am more concerned with the option to swap batteries on any long ride. People have replaced defective batteries as Sena doesn't apparently have a battery replacement program nor sell replacements