IGNORED

Fuel leak

Ponch

Smelled gas after a ride, pulled the left top panel and lo and behold there was gas in the fuel pump well. I replaced the oring a couple years ago, and it seems like maybe it's coming from the threaded fitting. It did have the BMW cheapo 5¢ ring fix. Is it possible that the fix doesn't work? I guess I can remove the threaded adapter to look at things.

Smelled gas after a ride, pulled the left top panel and lo and behold there was gas in the fuel pump well. I replaced the oring a couple years ago, and it seems like maybe it's coming from the threaded fitting. It did have the BMW cheapo 5¢ ring fix. Is it possible that the fix doesn't work? I guess I can remove the threaded adapter to look at things.

Morning Ponch

Yes, it is very possible the metal ring (fix) didn't work. I have seen more than a few leak at a later time after the ring was installed. I can't say with certainty what the failure point is but a good guess is that the boss wasn't inspected for excessive cracking before the ring was crimped on. Or the tec noted the crack but didn't want to take the time or effort to replace the entire pump assembly so just crimped the ring on over the crack & sent the bike on it's way.

Or you could have another "O" ring leak, if the trigger isn't held all the way in as the line is inserted that it can nick the "O" ring & cause a future fuel leak.

Mine did the same thing and the silver ring update had already been made. Mike Pedigo in Valdosta, GA replaced the plastic male part with a metal part and used some super sealant glue.

You can call him for more info 2294126578

Morning Ponch

Yes, it is very possible the metal ring (fix) didn't work. I have seen more than a few leak at a later time after the ring was installed. I can't say with certainty what the failure point is but a good guess is that the boss wasn't inspected for excessive cracking before the ring was crimped on. Or the tec noted the crack but didn't want to take the time or effort to replace the entire pump assembly so just crimped the ring on over the crack & sent the bike on it's way.

Or you could have another "O" ring leak, if the trigger isn't held all the way in as the line is inserted that it can nick the "O" ring & cause a future fuel leak.

I'll check the oring. It seemed pretty snug. If the housing is cracked, do I have any recourse with BMW or will they just say we fixed it and now it's your problem?

lawnchairboy

check the quick disconnects also. A couple of mine gave up the ghost and had cracking at 10 years old.

Mine did the same thing and the silver ring update had already been made. Mike Pedigo in Valdosta, GA replaced the plastic male part with a metal part and used some super sealant glue.

I think Beemer Bone Yard sells the metal boss. I understand people use JB Weld on the threads.

check the quick disconnects also. A couple of mine gave up the ghost and had cracking at 10 years old.

I don't think it's cracked, but I will take a closer look. BBY sells the set, but man, it's a little dear, especially considering that the parts can be sourced elsewhere at a fraction of the price, like one third. That's quite a markup. I like patronizing BBY, but that's a little rich.

Morning Ponch

I'll check the oring. It seemed pretty snug. If the housing is cracked, do I have any recourse with BMW or will they just say we fixed it and now it's your problem?

Afternoon Ponch

Part of the BMW recall was replacement if the boss was cracked too far for the ring to safely repair. I have heard of a couple that BMW did replace the pump assembly when it started leaking after the ring was installed. I'm just not sure how to force a dealer to do that if they give you crap.

My suggestion is to locate the leak, then if is in the boss/ring area then talk to your dealer about options. If they give you a problem then call BMW support to see if they will get involved.

The ring was only to be used if the boss wasn't cracked very far but most dealers just put the ring on regardless of the boss cracking condition as that was a LOT faster & quicker than replacing the pump assembly.

Morning Ponch

Afternoon Ponch

Part of the BMW recall was replacement if the boss was cracked too far for the ring to safely repair. I have heard of a couple that BMW did replace the pump assembly when it started leaking after the ring was installed. I'm just not sure how to force a dealer to do that if they give you crap.

My suggestion is to locate the leak, then if is in the boss/ring area then talk to your dealer about options. If they give you a problem then call BMW support to see if they will get involved.

The ring was only to be used if the boss wasn't cracked very far but most dealers just put the ring on regardless of the boss cracking condition as that was a LOT faster & quicker than replacing the pump assembly.

Ok. Took the female connector off. No cracks that I can see. Came off real easy and the sealant seemed to come off easy too. Some sort of non hardening white stuff. The oring May have the faintest of marks. I'll replace it, but what kind of sealant to use on the female connector.

Ok. Took the female connector off. No cracks that I can see. Came off real easy and the sealant seemed to come off easy too. Some sort of non hardening white stuff. The oring May have the faintest of marks. I'll replace it, but what kind of sealant to use on the female connector.

Morning Ponch

Good question on sealant.

I presume that when you say female connector you are referring to the connector that screws into the raised boss that has the ring pressed on? (if not then disregard the below)

If you removed the fitting from the raised boss with the ring on it then you have to be VERY CAREFUL in how you reinstall it. That is basically a non removable part due to the ease of cracking the plastic boss at reassembly. If that fitting is overtightened, even a little bit, that can crack the plastic boss (even with the ring on it), but if it isn't tightened enough then it can leak. (there is no torque suggestion so it is a touchy-feely type thing).

To complicate it even more, if a PTFE or slick type thread sealant is used that makes it even easier to crack the plastic boss as those are a bit of a thread lubricant.

That white compound you are seeing is probably a PTFE type sealant (I don't think it is factory).

My personal fuel fitting sealant of choice is LocTite 1527514 Thread Sealant with PTFE but, as mentioned, you have to be ultra careful if using that type of sealant.

Do not use any type of Teflon tape as that definitely expands the lower fitting, also, pieces of the Teflon tape can get cut by the threads & end up in a fuel injector nozzle.

The down side to using a PTFE or Teflon based sealer is IF the boss is currently cracked then the sealer will temporarily seal the cracks so it will show leak free for a while only to start leaking if/when the sealer washes out of the cracks. (in finding white sealant as disassembly that might have been your leak problem)

CAUTION: DO NOT screw that fitting in any farther or any tighter than needed to be leak free or you could easily crack that plastic boss.

Personally, I would see if BMW will address the leak if it isn't just a fitting "O" ring leaking. If the leak is at the fitting to plastic boss then it s-h-o-u-l-d be covered by the BMW recall. If you mess with it too much then BMW might just blame you & not their poor design.

If that bike were mine I would first call my BMW dealer & explain the fuel leak, leaking area, & recall commitment. Depending on what they say & how receptive they are to addressing the issue (I assume they should warranty it). I would then reinstall the fitting using just the sealer that was there, then install a new "O" ring. If it still leaks then have BMW address the recall related safety issue.

Morning Ponch

Good question on sealant.

I presume that when you say female connector you are referring to the connector that screws into the raised boss that has the ring pressed on? (if not then disregard the below)

If you removed the fitting from the raised boss with the ring on it then you have to be VERY CAREFUL in how you reinstall it. That is basically a non removable part due to the ease of cracking the plastic boss at reassembly. If that fitting is overtightened, even a little bit, that can crack the plastic boss (even with the ring on it), but if it isn't tightened enough then it can leak. (there is no torque suggestion so it is a touchy-feely type thing).

To complicate it even more, if a PTFE or slick type thread sealant is used that makes it even easier to crack the plastic boss as those are a bit of a thread lubricant.

That white compound you are seeing is probably a PTFE type sealant (I don't think it is factory).

My personal fuel fitting sealant of choice is LocTite 1527514 Thread Sealant with PTFE but, as mentioned, you have to be ultra careful if using that type of sealant.

Do not use any type of Teflon tape as that definitely expands the lower fitting, also, pieces of the Teflon tape can get cut by the threads & end up in a fuel injector nozzle.

The down side to using a PTFE or Teflon based sealer is IF the boss is currently cracked then the sealer will temporarily seal the cracks so it will show leak free for a while only to start leaking if/when the sealer washes out of the cracks. (in finding white sealant as disassembly that might have been your leak problem)

CAUTION: DO NOT screw that fitting in any farther or any tighter than needed to be leak free or you could easily crack that plastic boss.

Personally, I would see if BMW will address the leak if it isn't just a fitting "O" ring leaking. If the leak is at the fitting to plastic boss then it s-h-o-u-l-d be covered by the BMW recall. If you mess with it too much then BMW might just blame you & not their poor design.

If that bike were mine I would first call my BMW dealer & explain the fuel leak, leaking area, & recall commitment. Depending on what they say & how receptive they are to addressing the issue (I assume they should warranty it). I would then reinstall the fitting using just the sealer that was there, then install a new "O" ring. If it still leaks then have BMW address the recall related safety issue.

Well, I ordered the o rings from beemer boneyard but I wiped all the sealant off the female adapter and the boss so I could see the condition of the boss. It could very well be that the sealant failed. It came off easy, what there was of it. I was thinking of replacing the wick disconnects with metal ones. Bad idea? I hope to have the o rings by Saturday, Monday at the latest.

Well, I ordered the o rings from beemer boneyard but I wiped all the sealant off the female adapter and the boss so I could see the condition of the boss.

It could very well be that the sealant failed. It came off easy, what there was of it.

I was thinking of replacing the wick disconnects with metal ones. Bad idea?

I hope to have the o rings by Saturday, Monday at the latest.

Morning Ponch

It might be a bad idea if you ever decide to get BMW involved in a recall replacement.

Replacing the factory fitting that screws into that plastic boss is something that I have always discouraged due to the ease of cracking that plastic boss.

That fitting to boss interface is one of the worst fuel system designs that I have seen (& I have seen & worked on pretty bad designs in the auto industry). That quick disconnect fitting SHOULD HAVE been designed using a straight thread with the sealing interface being a captured "O" ring between the fitting base & the top of the plastic boss.

Have you tried calling your BMW dealer about it leaking to see if they will replace the pump assembly (Most good dealers probably would).

Well, I ordered the o rings from beemer boneyard but I wiped all the sealant off the female adapter and the boss so I could see the condition of the boss.

It could very well be that the sealant failed. It came off easy, what there was of it.

Morning Ponch

It might be a bad idea if you ever decide to get BMW involved in a recall replacement.

Replacing the factory fitting that screws into that plastic boss is something that I have always discouraged due to the ease of cracking that plastic boss.

That fitting to boss interface is one of the worst fuel system designs that I have seen (& I have seen & worked on pretty bad designs in the auto industry). That quick disconnect fitting SHOULD HAVE been designed using a straight thread with the sealing interface being a captured "O" ring between the fitting base & the top of the plastic boss.

Have you tried calling your BMW dealer about it leaking to see if they will replace the pump assembly (Most good dealers probably would).

Morning Ponch

No I didn't. I dealer that did the recall moved and changed names(same owners) and I haven't been back. I just wonder if they'd balk since I disassembled things to inspect it.

No I didn't. I dealer that did the recall moved and changed names(same owners) and I haven't been back. I just wonder if they'd balk since I disassembled things to inspect it.

Morning Ponch

Personally, I would make the call just to see what they have to say (might just surprise you).

If the dealer is receptive to handling it under the recall campaign then I would reassemble it as close-looking to production as possible then take it to the dealer.

If they don't fight you about repairing it then I doubt they would give you much hassle about you needing to clean it up to inspect that area (I wouldn't outright admit that I had it apart though).

Again, my suggestion is to start with a dealer call then work from there.

I don't know if this is relevant to your issue but I had the fuel pump recall done a couple of years ago.

All they did at the time was put a reinforcement ring.

Last year after I reassembled the bike following my clutch replacement, my fuel pump started leaking.

I went to a different dealer than the one who did the original recall (Not a BMW dealer anymore) and they replaced the entire pump on BMW dime.

I don't know if this is relevant to your issue but I had the fuel pump recall done a couple of years ago.

All they did at the time was put a reinforcement ring.

Last year after I reassembled the bike following my clutch replacement, my fuel pump started leaking.

I went to a different dealer than the one who did the original recall (Not a BMW dealer anymore) and they replaced the entire pump on BMW dime.

I am waiting for a call back from the dealer that did the recall work. There is another dealer, but I wasn't impressed with their service. They try to do things too quickly and don't always reassemble things right. Outside of that, I'd have to go 100 miles away.

No call back from ridenow chandler. Sent a follow up email and a salesman emailed me back, even though my email outlined my predicament. I reiterated the problem and he said he'd forward it to the service department. No contact at all. I emailed the salesman back, no reply. My guess is that they are "too" busy or could care less. At this point, I don't know. I won't go to GOAZ as they did a recall service on it and they were in such a rush that the tech didn't put everything back right and I had to take the panel off and route the hoses/wiring right. At that point I went to Victory BMW for anything warranty/recall related and they were fine, but they moved to a new location since and who knows who works there or how it's run anymore. At this point, I'll fix it myself. Worst thing is that I'll have to get a new fuel pump. Sometimes I wonder if people that work in service related industries reflect on their actions with customers so as to keep business. Just something I've noticed over the last 5 or so years. No one seems to care anymore. That said, like the commercial, "Make it Progesso or make it yourself".

The metal version comes with Gasoila, which is some sort of pfte sealant. It came with instructions which seem to be similar to the loctite sealant. Basically let it set for at least 24hrs after application and I will.

Well, it's in. The instructions say to tighten it 1/2-1 turn after hand tight and I found 1/4 turn about right as I was afraid to overdo it and my hand tight may be tighter than the average bear can do. I'll see tomorrow afternoon if I was successful, at least initially.

Hi everyone,

I got my 2006 RT a couple of years ago, coming from just one owner and currently with little under 68K miles on the odo, this guy did all the maintenances on record and the bike had no major problems, until a month ago that I started the bike and smelled/saw a faint dripping of fuel on the left side, took all the tapper ware off and yes indeed, the boss connector was leaking right at its base.

Luckily for me, I never miss reading this great site and recalled seeing something about deffective pumps and having a re-call issued by BMW, I sent an e-mail to corporate BMW here in Mexico and also I kept on copy my local dealer , I also included the VIN number in my communication, the local guys responded the next day indicating that after checking the VIN number the records showed that the pump leak was done (all they did was putting the reinforced metal ring around the base of the boss), nevertheless I responded back saying that I could get that the re-call was done, but it was innefective as I was still having the same leaking issue, they requested me to bring the bike to their shop to verify the condition and see what they could do.... of course towing the bike at my expense.

The dealer it's located like 10 miles from my house, so I wrapped the hole top of the pump assembly with plenty of zip ties and fabric rags, my bike looked like one of those bikes used in the Mad Max films....but I made it safe with these guys.

They confirmed 3 days later after I dropped my bike (last week) that BMW would honor the re-call and they would install a new pump free of charge, sweet!!! I should have my bike back early next week.

Here is a question I have, I think the new pump should have been revised and considered some engineering made in order to avoid this issue by now, should I still try to go and reinforce this area with the ring that Bemmer Bone Yard sells? or should I just leave unmolested this new pump and hope that will last ...like forever?

Thank you all for your wisdom and look forward to your comments and suggestions.

I apologize in advance for my rudimentary English..

Saludos!!

Hi everyone,

I got my 2006 RT a couple of years ago, coming from just one owner and currently with little under 68K miles on the odo, this guy did all the maintenances on record and the bike had no major problems, until a month ago that I started the bike and smelled/saw a faint dripping of fuel on the left side, took all the tapper ware off and yes indeed, the boss connector was leaking right at its base.

Luckily for me, I never miss reading this great site and recalled seeing something about deffective pumps and having a re-call issued by BMW, I sent an e-mail to corporate BMW here in Mexico and also I kept on copy my local dealer , I also included the VIN number in my communication, the local guys responded the next day indicating that after checking the VIN number the records showed that the pump leak was done (all they did was putting the reinforced metal ring around the base of the boss), nevertheless I responded back saying that I could get that the re-call was done, but it was innefective as I was still having the same leaking issue, they requested me to bring the bike to their shop to verify the condition and see what they could do.... of course towing the bike at my expense.

The dealer it's located like 10 miles from my house, so I wrapped the hole top of the pump assembly with plenty of zip ties and fabric rags, my bike looked like one of those bikes used in the Mad Max films....but I made it safe with these guys.

They confirmed 3 days later after I dropped my bike (last week) that BMW would honor the re-call and they would install a new pump free of charge, sweet!!! I should have my bike back early next week.

Here is a question I have, I think the new pump should have been revised and considered some engineering made in order to avoid this issue by now, should I still try to go and reinforce this area with the ring that Bemmer Bone Yard sells? or should I just leave unmolested this new pump and hope that will last ...like forever?

Thank you all for your wisdom and look forward to your comments and suggestions.

Saludos!!

Evening Luis RT12

Your new (replacement) pump should already be the updated pump. The updated pump is built with the steel reinforcement ring already added. Adding the reinforcement ring BEFORE the fitting is screwed in prevents the boss from cracking so you should be good-to-go.

I haven't heard of any of the replacement pumps leaking due to a cracked fitting boss.

The leaking problem was from originally screwing the tapered fitting into the unsupported plastic boss, that cracked the unsupported boss, THEN, a lot of dealers just installed the recall reinforcement ring over the cracks only to have fitting-to-boss area start leaking at a later time.

Hi everyone,

Saludos!!

Evening Luis RT12

Your new (replacement) pump should already be the updated pump. The updated pump is built with the steel reinforcement ring already added. Adding the reinforcement ring BEFORE the fitting is screwed in prevents the boss from cracking so you should be good-to-go.

I haven't heard of any of the replacement pumps leaking due to a cracked fitting boss.

The leaking problem was from originally screwing the tapered fitting into the unsupported plastic boss, that cracked the unsupported boss, THEN, a lot of dealers just installed the recall reinforcement ring over the cracks only to have fitting-to-boss area start leaking at a later time.

Hi everyone,

Saludos!!

Evening Luis RT12

I sent them my VIN info and they did the recall work, but never called me back and I never got a second email back. The first went to a salesman and he said he'd forward it. Right. After not hearing for several days, I responded again, explaining the situation in more detail and reminding him of liability, but they don't care. Why, IDK. Maybe they are busy with bike week here, maybe they think I am a crank, maybe they don't want to bother with something that they might end up owning in a sense. Maybe they have different management and shit rolls down hill. Whatever the case, I'll never go there again for anything, but in the scheme of things, it makes little difference I suppose, but I won't reward incompetence, indifference or intransigence.

• 2 months later...

Started our 2 RTs this spring and my '09 R1200RT was leaking. We had the fuel pump recall fix done to both bikes in '14. Gary's bike had enough cracks that he got the new fuel pump installed. Mine had one minor crack and got the reinforcing ring. When mine was started gas was dripping at a fast rate. We pulled off the upper fairing piece and the pump was spraying gas 4-5" out from just above the reinforcing ring. Called GOAZ Peoria and told them I had a warranty issue, They installed a new fuel pump with no quibbling. The service guys told us my bike was about the 3rd bike in over a couple months. Apparently, the reinforcing ring was not a permanent fix.

• 2 weeks later...
Started our 2 RTs this spring and my '09 R1200RT was leaking. We had the fuel pump recall fix done to both bikes in '14. Gary's bike had enough cracks that he got the new fuel pump installed. Mine had one minor crack and got the reinforcing ring. When mine was started gas was dripping at a fast rate. We pulled off the upper fairing piece and the pump was spraying gas 4-5" out from just above the reinforcing ring. Called GOAZ Peoria and told them I had a warranty issue, They installed a new fuel pump with no quibbling. The service guys told us my bike was about the 3rd bike in over a couple months. Apparently, the reinforcing ring was not a permanent fix.

The dealer I used for the original repair was Victory BMW now RideNow Chandler or Euro. I used GOAZ in Scottsdale for warranty work once and while I appreciate that they washed my bike, they didn't put it together right. My guess is the mechanic was in a rush because of flat rate. The only other choice dealer in in Tucson. Just not impressed with the two closest dealers to me.