I just stumbled on this post today. My wife and I should be riding that route on May 7 as part of a CIMT tour, so your video confirms everything I had hoped for.
We got the list of participants this week. Any familiar names?
- Selden + Pamela riding two-up on a BMW F700GS coming from Georgia, USA
- Stephen + Carol riding a BMW R1200GS coming from Alberta, Canada
- Bill + Kathie riding a BMW R1200R coming from Washington State, USA
- Jeff + Connie riding a BMW R1200RS coming from New Mexico, USA
- Anthony DiOrio riding a BMW R1200RT coming from New York, USA
- Tony DiOrio riding a Ducati Scrambler 800 coming from Boston, USA
I chose the F700GS because I fell in love with that model during a demo ride a few years ago, so this will be a 2-up extended test ride. After watching the Amalfi coast video, I'm pleased with my choice — narrow Italian streets with hairpin turns are not a good match for a big motorcycle ridden by a small person.
If the F700GS works out for the two of us, I suspect I'll be putting my 1999 RT up for sale later this year. It's just becoming too much of a handful for someone my size and age, especially 2-up. In the meantime, we're trying to get in as much seat time as possible between now and when we leave for Italy.