IGNORED

Broken "Key"

Rob Nowell

The "key" for my '16 RT was bent. When I attempted to bend it back so it would fit within the fob, it snapped. Does anyone know if it's possible to get a "plain ol' key" to fit my luggage and storage pockets? Surely I don't have to go to the expense of a complete, new key + fob?

I'm on vacation for another week, but was in the final stages of making a "spare key" for my own '16 RT with my 3D printer.

I'll be in touch when I get home and finish up a successful print.

All I need is a picture of your key and I can decode the bumps and grooves to program the 3D printer to duplicate one in plastic.

IMG_0144-X2.jpg

You can get a non-fob key from the dealer for about $25-$30. I have one I use for the seat and GPS locks.

Is that a plastic one like the spare that came with the bike, or a metal key. The plastic one doesn't feel like it would hold up to the stress of regular use. I would be happy to have a separate metal key to put on my key ring to use for GPS and case locks. And then have a fob with no key for the ignition.

I'm on vacation for another week, but was in the final stages of making a "spare key" for my own '16 RT with my 3D printer.

Great, inventive use of a 3D printer ! You might have the makings of a small business.

You can get a non-fob key from the dealer for about $25-$30. I have one I use for the seat and GPS locks.

Yes I bought a Fob and a metal key. I did not want to abuse the fob key on cases and GPS lock on my GS. And I also wanted a fob as I give a set of keys to my friend when I travel to make sure I have a spare set along on trips.

The metal key is the best money I spent, between the GPS lock, top cases and the seat the flip fob key can get a work out.

A guy on ADV Rider makes all kinds of stuff for the GS/GSA including a sun shade that is just out of this world. He makes the model and then you can order from Shapeways and they burn it and ship it to you.

Shapeways

Tinu76 is the guy and makes some nice stuff. If you ask him for something he will try to make it for you.

Tinu76

I wound up getting the fob repaired. That "blade" cost $30, and they were going to charge me $70 for a separate, metal key (with a chip).

All I need is a picture of your key and I can decode the bumps and grooves to program the 3D printer to duplicate one in plastic.

How did the plastic key work out?

I'm finally back home, but been down with a sinus infection for another week...today I'll try to print out a key based on my own bike. The problem with my first attempt about 2 months ago was that the plastic I used for the extrusion material was too soft and not ridged enough (PLA). Now I have a better printer, and a harder more robust material to print with. (TPU)

Sorry for the delay, but I'll try to get one done today. It only takes about 30-45min depending on how slow and how much detail I dial into the printer settings.

I would have thought you need to wind up the resolution as it needs stiffness and accuracy and the original image we see seems to be far from that.

Nice to see someone tinkering though. Well done.

Well, I got around to 3D printing out another Key Blank, this time with about the highest resolution possible from my TEVO Tornado 3D printer.

I checked it on several locks on my bike and "NO-GO". It won't even start down the path past the first pin.

Sorry, but I can't see what's causing the key to balk. It's the right thickness and width as original, it's something about the first ramp angle on the key engaging the first pin in the lock.

I FAILED!

Nahh you did not fail. You just have to keep at it. Maybe get an old lock and watch as you insert your made key and see what is what.

Hell the metal key I had cut for the GS was crap until I kept sanding at it with 200 grit paper and as I smoothed it, it started to work much better. Maybe all you have to do is sand the hard edges a bit to get past that first pin?

Pretty sure you got this. Of course I have no idea what plastic cost for a 3D printer but I have no doubt you can get one printed out that works.

Interesting use of these 3D printers.

The cost for the materials is very low...it's the man-hours learning how to do this kind of thing that drives you crazy! I've also printed center hubs for balancing our BMW rims just like the Marc Parnes machined aluminum ones. You can make almost anything with 3D printers...even complete houses.

IMG_0751-X2.jpg

The resolution on this one is good, but still too soft and flexible to overcome the stainless steel teeth in the lock

IMG_0761-X3.jpg

Printer almost done, just under an hour.

IMG_0749-X2.jpg

That is just crazy. Pure Dick Trace, Star Trek, George Jetson stuff to me.

I assume you can buy harder grade material or are you limited by the type of printer you own? Can you stop it and put a metal stay in it and then continue with that spacer dimension taken up?

Still very cool.

Make a sun screen for the RT GPS. I bought one for the Nav VI and my GS and it is pretty cool.

I think you can go to Shapeway and download a file that lets you print what you see, or just buy it printed.