BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 45 of 53 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 52 53
#1009642 - 04/16/18 01:01 PM Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC [Re: Joe Frickin' Friday]  
Lone_RT_rider Offline
Lone_RT_rider  Offline

Germantown, WI
Originally Posted by Joe Frickin' Friday
Mine is slightly more dicey. I was planning to leave from work in the early afternoon, but depending on morning conditions, I might drive to work and then drive home before departure...

The temps for travel are not my problem on Thursday. I am seriously concerned about being able to get the bike down the driveway because of ice build up. We had 1.5" of sleet and rain that hit before the 7 inches of snow. I have snowblowed the driveway twice in the past 24 hours and barely put a dent in the sleet/ice layer. I might have to make a path with an ice spud the way I used to in the spring in Michigan. One problem though, after 11 years in SC I don't believe I still have one.

Hey Matt Sturgis....... Didn't we move BRR to the last weekend in April for some reason?..... I can't quite remember what it was.

SMH....

2018 Harley-Davidson FLHTP Electra-Glide
2008 BMW R1200RT
1999 BMW R1100RT

#1009643 - 04/16/18 01:05 PM Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC [Re: Indy Dave]  
Matts_12GS Offline
Matts_12GS  Offline

Enfield, CT
I seem to think there was some kind of condition that necessitated it...

It used to make the water solid if I remember right.

At this point, I'll be glad to get South of NYC before the freezer closes on Wednesday...

Matt

2005 1200GS (Traveller)
IBA 37694

" ...if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else? " --Ronald Reagan
#1009645 - 04/16/18 01:17 PM Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC [Re: Lone_RT_rider]  
Kinsley Offline
Kinsley  Offline

ATL and to the Right

Originally Posted by Lone_RT_rider

Hey Matt Sturgis....... Didn't we move BRR to the last weekend in April for some reason?..... I can't quite remember what it was.

SMH....

That is always the plan, last weekend in April for START and last weekend of September for FART.
The hotel was booked for that weekend (a knitting convention) and the room rates went up considerably starting May 1st.

www.BetterCoverage.net
and
www.insleyimages.com

"Ride fast enough that you can't take your mind off riding, but not fast enough to worry about crashing"
#1009646 - 04/16/18 01:24 PM Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC [Re: Kinsley]  
Lone_RT_rider Offline
Lone_RT_rider  Offline

Germantown, WI
Originally Posted by Kinsley
That is always the plan, last weekend in April for START and last weekend of September for FART.
The hotel was booked for that weekend (a knitting convention) and the room rates went up considerably starting May 1st.

Yep, a little bird had told me room rates were a consideration. As a past planner I absolutely understand that being a factor in planning. As a rider that greatly appreciates all the work that goes into each event, I also know it's difficult to make everyone happy all the time, nay impossible.

As a relocated rider that only has the opportunity for one motorcycle trip this year due to family planning issues, the possible loss of this trip due to weather just sucks rocks.

frown

2018 Harley-Davidson FLHTP Electra-Glide
2008 BMW R1200RT
1999 BMW R1100RT

#1009649 - 04/16/18 01:32 PM Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC [Re: Lone_RT_rider]  
Matts_12GS Offline
Matts_12GS  Offline

Enfield, CT
Originally Posted by Kinsley

Yep, a little bird had told me room rates were a consideration. As a past planner I absolutely understand that being a factor in planning. As a rider that greatly appreciates all the work that goes into each event, I also know it's difficult to make everyone happy all the time, nay impossible.

As a relocated rider that only has the opportunity for one motorcycle trip this year due to family planning issues, the possible loss of this trip due to weather just sucks rocks.

frown

What he said

Matt

2005 1200GS (Traveller)
IBA 37694

" ...if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else? " --Ronald Reagan
#1009652 - 04/16/18 02:05 PM Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC [Re: Indy Dave]  
Indy Dave Offline
Indy Dave  Offline

Indianapolis
Just to be clear, Ken and I are just as frustrated as many of you are about the weather. We're going to brush up on our 'impacting' the weather skills. spittake

Most of this goes without saying, but since it's come up in discussion, here's some insight into this weeks START planning.

Kinsley and I** invest quite a bit of effort into these events, as have all of the previous and current hosts of the varied events on BMWST. There are, of course, trade offs involved in every decision and we consider these completely. In this case, there were a couple of significant factors that were involved in moving the START weekend up a week. The hotel had a large group of quilters on our 'normal' weekend and if we pushed START off to a week later than normal, we were hit by significant room rate increases. As our group grows, it's becoming more and more challenging to find lodging that can accommodate our group size - so it's not as easy as one would think to 'just pick another hotel'. It goes without saying that no matter the arrangements - with a group as varied and large as ours - there are always some who would have preferred different arrangements. We understand this, it's part of the dynamics of large groups. But we do try our hardest to hit 'the sweet spot' when making arrangements that will satisfy the vast majority of the group. And in this case, we felt the best we could do in this circumstance was move the weekend up.

We can't control the weather, and as I write this I'm watching small white flakes falling outside my window. This IS NOT normal for Indiana or many other areas of the nation. Be that as it may, I take what comes and will be heading out tomorrow as planned. Hopefully on two wheels. If the snow gets a foothold, then I'll go dig out the trailer. I do still have my fingers crossed for my WI and MI friends.

As always, we are interested in your feedback in how to make these events better, so please continue to seek out Ken and me with your input. We strive to put together a great weekend for every START & FART, and your feedback helps make that possible.

We look forward to seeing all of you and we will raise a collective glass on Friday to all who had to stay home.

** Kinsley has a considerable amount of time in routes.

Last edited by Indy Dave; 04/16/18 03:35 PM.

Workin' Them Angels . . .overtime
06 R12RT

The point of the journey is not to arrive...

#1009664 - 04/16/18 03:41 PM Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC [Re: Indy Dave]  
Indy Dave Offline
Indy Dave  Offline

Indianapolis
ADMINISTRIVA:

There is some good news this Monday Morning!

We were able to reduce our dinner numbers this morning and have been able to refund the 7 meals that canceled over the weekend! clap clap

Workin' Them Angels . . .overtime
06 R12RT

The point of the journey is not to arrive...

#1009672 - 04/16/18 06:47 PM Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC [Re: Lone_RT_rider]  
Joe Frickin' Friday Offline
Administrator
Joe Frickin' Friday  Offline

Administrator

Ann Arbor, MI (USA)

Later is better, but of course there are no guarantees. I recall El Paseo in Blairsville, GA, April 22-24, 2005. On the Saturday evening we had heavy rain, and then a ridiculous cold front roared through during the night. When we got up on Sunday morning, nobody could leave because they couldn't get their key in their ignition and couldn't open their sidecases:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#1009673 - 04/16/18 07:16 PM Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC [Re: Indy Dave]  
Bud Offline
95% of an RT
Bud  Offline
95% of an RT

Southern Illinois
You can please some of the people all of the time. thumbsupYou can please all of the people some of the time. thumbsup You can not please all the people all of the time. dopeslap

A big THANK YOU for herding cats! clap clap clap

95% of an RT.

I haven't had too many Beemers, I just don't have enough time.
#1009677 - 04/16/18 07:30 PM Re: Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) - Blowing Rock, NC [Re: Indy Dave]  
Tasker Offline
Tasker  Offline

Indianapolis, IN, USA, Earth
Originally Posted by Indy Dave
Just to be clear, Ken and I are just as frustrated as many of you are about the weather. We're going to brush up on our 'impacting' the weather skills. spittake

Most of this goes without saying, but since it's come up in discussion, here's some insight into this weeks START planning.

Kinsley and I** invest quite a bit of effort into these events, as have all of the previous and current hosts of the varied events on BMWST. There are, of course, trade offs involved in every decision and we consider these completely. In this case, there were a couple of significant factors that were involved in moving the START weekend up a week. The hotel had a large group of quilters on our 'normal' weekend and if we pushed START off to a week later than normal, we were hit by significant room rate increases. As our group grows, it's becoming more and more challenging to find lodging that can accommodate our group size - so it's not as easy as one would think to 'just pick another hotel'. It goes without saying that no matter the arrangements - with a group as varied and large as ours - there are always some who would have preferred different arrangements. We understand this, it's part of the dynamics of large groups. But we do try our hardest to hit 'the sweet spot' when making arrangements that will satisfy the vast majority of the group. And in this case, we felt the best we could do in this circumstance was move the weekend up.

We can't control the weather, and as I write this I'm watching small white flakes falling outside my window. This IS NOT normal for Indiana or many other areas of the nation. Be that as it may, I take what comes and will be heading out tomorrow as planned. Hopefully on two wheels. If the snow gets a foothold, then I'll go dig out the trailer. I do still have my fingers crossed for my WI and MI friends.

As always, we are interested in your feedback in how to make these events better, so please continue to seek out Ken and me with your input. We strive to put together a great weekend for every START & FART, and your feedback helps make that possible.

We look forward to seeing all of you and we will raise a collective glass on Friday to all who had to stay home.

** Kinsley has a considerable amount of time in routes.

The very simple fact of this matter is that it doesn't matter when events are planned. As someone who has spent the better part of a career planning large-scale events, including many events for this board, e.g. UnRally in CO, RidingSmart weekends, etc., no one can predict the weather, especially in the mountains. I've ridden in the mountains when the radar was completely green and yellow and didn't see a drop of rain. I've also been there when the forecast was for sun and 80s but at higher elevations, snow was falling. I've ridden in the mountains in late February when it was in the 70s. During the very first El Paseo in Cherokee, NC, many of us either didn't make it at all or were detoured due to a freak snowstorm. I rode the last 100 miles at night in a driving sleet/snow storm and was ultimately told by a park ranger that I would not be able to cross the mountain from Gatlinburg to Cherokee because the road across was closed due to 13" of snow at the top. I stayed in Gatlinburg that night and rode the long way around to Cherokee the next morning. It is what it is. No amount of planning can dictate a weather outcome. Dave and Ken are correct when they say that a lot of work goes into these events and they should be thanked. If anyone seriously believes that their efforts would produce different results, I'm sure they would gladly surrender the START/FART baton. Oh, and BTW, I've also sat at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway during the first weekend of qualifications in mid-May and watched it snow horizontally across the front stretch. No one ran that day. Ain't Spring dandy? ;-)

Perseverance is genius in disguise...

2016 R1200GS/WC
Page 45 of 53 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 52 53