IGNORED

05 RT Valve Stem Question

Sonor

My rear wheel has a valve stem that comes straight out of the center of the tire and points directly at the axle. With the configuration of the wheel and the two disk breaks, it makes it difficult (pending the type of air hose) to connect a air hose to the valve stem. Does someone make a right angle valve stem that would work for the rear wheel?

Edited by Sonor
My rear wheel has a valve stem that comes straight out of the center of the tire and points directly at the axle. With the configuration of the wheel and the two disk breaks, it makes it difficult (pending the type of air hose) to connect a air hose to the valve stem. Does someone make a right angle valve stem that would work for the rear wheel?

Afternoon Sonor

Take another look, I'll bet that you only have one brake disk on the rear.

There are a number of right angle valve stems that will work on the rear of the BMW 1200RT but you have to choose correctly. Due to the offset from the center on the right angle valve stems then high speed centrifugal force can continuously work the valve stem until failure. You need to find a light weight (usually aluminum) with a good leak proof seal to the rim hole.

After a bit of research on here & a few other forums, I ordered these at the beginning of April: eBay Valve Stems

Only needed one, but they came as a pair & were dirt cheap. They're currently "en route" from China, and if they arrive before the 2018 riding season ends, I'll post a review on them once installed...

After a bit of research on here & a few other forums, I ordered these at the beginning of April: eBay Valve Stems

Only needed one, but they came as a pair & were dirt cheap. They're currently "en route" from China, and if they arrive before the 2018 riding season ends, I'll post a review on them once installed...

Have had them in my RT for approximately 4 years. As airtight as the stock valve, Works great.

Well color me blind - yes Dirt, one disk brake. Nonetheless, it is a PITA (pending the air hose) to fill with air.

Thanks all for the valve stem suggestions. I just was not sure if others would work or not.

Edited by Sonor