IGNORED

Happenings. . .

EffBee

We don't often discuss personal changes on this site, but as the owner, there are a few things that have taken place that I thought I should share.

I've relocated from Southern California to Montrose, Colorado. It's a house I bought to retire to 12 years ago, putting quality tenants in it for those years. They took excellent care of this place, for which I'm glad. But there are still a few projects to attend to. I'm on the "Western Slope" 60 miles south of Grand Junction, 60 miles west of Gunnison (where we've held two UnRallys), and 120 miles from Salida where we've held a third one of our UnRally events. Technically, I'm at the crossroads of Hwy 50 and Hwy 550. The latter, as many of you know, is called "The Million Dollar Hwy." I'm where it ends, at the northern tip. My home is 1.5 miles west of the base of the Rockies and 25 miles north of the beautiful San Juan Mountains (think Ouray, Silverton, etc, ending in Durango at the south end). To say that the riding is spectacular doesn't do it justice. Oh, and I'm 4 hours from Torrey (the easy way) and 7 hours (the fun way). It's heavenly. And the small town attitudes, helpfulness and courtesy of people is such a welcome change from the hurry-hurry-no-time-to-be-nice life in Southern California. Once I get the house sorted, some things repaired and updated, and get my garage/shop built, I think I'm going to just sit down and let my blood pressure crater for a while.

As is the case with small town living (about 25,000 people), sometimes things take a little longer. So I've been without internet for the past two weeks (almost 3 weeks if you count transit time) as the new fiber-optic company in town has been laying cable in my neighborhood. Today it got hooked up. $40/mo for 100mbs (just tested it at speedtest.net and got 120/dl and 92/ul, so I'm pleased). Bump it to $70/mo and I can get speeds as high as 1Gig. Can't imagine ever needing that. All this means that I've been absent from the board . . . almost a month if you count the last weeks of packing and actually moving. During this time, the rest of the Admin Team has done a wonderful job of taking care of it and making sure everything has gone smoothly. Once again, you should be sure and thank them. And I at least have been able to sneak on a little bit each night by hotspotting off my phone, in order to do the Donations updates. We've hit our funding goals for the year, and everyone deserves credit for the support they've provided this place.

So, if there is a "home" for this website, it's moved a bit over the years. First it was the SF Bay Area when Cary Littell started the site. Then it was Nashville when David Baker was the owner. Leslie Edmunds had it in the San Diego area. And I've taken it from SoCal to Colorado. I'm glad to be in my "new" home. And I'm glad to finally be back home with all my friends at BMWST.com.

Congrats on the move, but that ain't "small town living" as you say, it's city life ;) My town is 1300,....that's one thousand three hundred. We moved from a city of 24000 to our little town. Having lived in million plus areas, I can say that this little town is the best so far.

As is the case with small town living (about 25,000 people),

.........I've relocated from Southern California to Montrose, Colorado........

Well, there goes the neighborhood.....

Congrats. You are living in "Almost Heaven" as far I I'm concerned. Hope you never get tired of all the great riding in your backyard.

And thanks for being a good steward of BMWST. You make a difference. :thumbsup:

Man, I sure hope your plans are to get back to stirring up dust rather than letting it settle. After all, it's only 44 years later, and you still have the ‘stache.

2018041713200093-IMG_4492-M.jpg

Any chance of pulling the tarp off the ‘ol Husky?

Well, that's a neat little piece of history to have tucked away in your back pocket! :clap:

Think Del Gue said it best!

"Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Good luck with the new location, don't think you can go wrong! :thumbsup:

Pat

Congrats. You are living in "Almost Heaven" as far I I'm concerned. Hope you never get tired of all the great riding in your backyard.

Hey Bud isn't that West Virginia......

Doug_Baliko

Colorado would certainly be at the top of my places to retire list. Montrose is a very nice nice town. Congratulations! I love riding Colorado.

Doug

Hey Bud isn't that West Virginia......

I know, but the song was wrong :grin:

:thumbsup: Enjoy Colorado! And your retirement!

I'm kinda in the same boat; sold my business & officially retired April 1st. this year. Quite an adjustment but looking forward to it. We're working at getting a place in either Arkansas or Colorado and liking the search in the meantime.

Have fun up there!

Edited by Mike05