IGNORED

GS911

Ozzyal

Hi guys ,

I have recently replaced my R1100RT with a 2010 R1200RT . I'm a fairly average self maintenance type of guy , do my own services and basic maintenance on all my cars and bikes for the past 20 years .

I got a quote from my BMW dealer for the 40,000km service and had a mild heart attack .

I've ordered the service DVD by ( JVB ? ) .

Is there an alternative to resetting the service schedule other than the GS 911 ?

Does the 2010 have an OBD port or similar that can be connected via Bluetooth / phone app or something similar ?

You have to use the BMW service computer (or a device that's hacked their codes - a la GS-911). I bought a 911 for the utility and to sever the umbilical cord to the dealer. If you don't want to get one, perhaps just ask the dealer how much he would charge you to just reset the service reminder? Depending on how much you ride that could save you money over time depending on how cooperative your dealer would be. Otherwise you just have to pick your poison: acquiesce to letting the dealer rob you or pay too much for a gizmo.

Ozzyal, I have a USB gs-911 I was going to sell if your interested. You'll need a laptop to talk to it. Bought from BeemerShop in 2014. Only one VIN has been used so 9 left.

And replied.

Another option is to join your local BM club.

They'll own a 911 and can help with service days, special tools etc etc.

• 10 months later...

Motoscan, OBDLink LX and an adapter cable. The obdlink XL adapter and adapter cable are available on Amazon for a little over $50. And motoscan can be bought in a couple of different versions that will allow you to reset the service indicator for under $30 and if you want to do more advanced things you can buy the ultimate version of motoscan and it will allow you to do quite a bit of coding. It's available for around $45. So for around $100 you could do that. Mine is done everything that I've wanted to do so far. Paid for itself the first time I used it.

• Thanks 2

I just leave my grip heat on low which hides the "SERVICE" message. It helps my fingers to not cramp as well.

If it's *really* hot (over mid 90s), I'll turn off the grip heat. But at that point I'm too busy trying not to die from the heat that I don't notice the "SERVICE" indicator.

• Haha 3
  • 3 weeks later...

I track all my services on my vehicles on a spreadsheet.  I purchased my 2012 RT last April and the service light was on.  I got use to it.  I may purchase a GS-911 at some point but I do not notice the Service message anymore.  I refuse to pay the dealer to cut it off and then 4 months later it needs to be done again.

• 2 months later...
Yeeha Stephen

"

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 5:24 PM, Ozzyal said:

I'm a fairly average self maintenance type of guy , do my own services and basic maintenance on all my cars and bikes for the past 20 years .

If you are going to continue with BMW motorcycles you may want to look into the 911 further. Much more value than just resetting the service reminder.

Lot of "peace of mind" things you can perform just before a trip. That's one of my fav things.

SS

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/29/2019 at 11:57 AM, Yeeha Stephen said:

"

If you are going to continue with BMW motorcycles you may want to look into the 911 further. Much more value than just resetting the service reminder.

Lot of "peace of mind" things you can perform just before a trip. That's one of my fav things.

SS

I've gone the OBDLink and motoscan app route  . Haven't actually used it yet  . 

The OBDLink was the most expensive part of the equation  , stupid weak Aus$ . I haven't been riding the bike for a  couple of months  , winter here  and general life getting in the way .