IGNORED

I found a bike in MN that wants to move to WA...

szurszewski

szurszewski

and I'm not manly enough to fly out and ride it back (right now at least). :cry:

I've already put in some quote requests with shippers, and that's probably how it will get to its new home, but I know a lot of you independently wealthy/retired/just lazy like me BMW folk spend your days crisscrossing the country doing who knows what...so...if any of you are going to be passing near the twin cities on your way to the PNW and have room to haul a bike, please do let me know! (I know if I don't ask, two days after the bike gets here - or the day it goes on the truck/two weeks before it gets here, someone will say - oh, gee if you'd let me know I could have picked it up for you on my way two days ago!)

I'd be happy to help with some expenses/etc, host you for a couple of days of riding/touring the Olympic Peninsula or at least take you out to a really fine NW kind of meal - or whatever.

:) :) :)

josh

ps - didn't really know which forum to stick this in, and I won't be the least bit offended if it gets moved!

what kind of bike? would you entertain flying some one to get it and fly them home??

Wow, every man has his price, I guess. Seems to me though, that you should pay all of your own expenses, and then owe Josh some rental money when you arrive in Portland.... And besides, if Josh starts paying for all that, he's better off paying to have it shipped. There's no wear and tear on the bike, and virtually no risk.

Having said that: I've got some vacation time that I don't know what to do with. When are you looking to have the bike moved?

szurszewski
what kind of bike? would you entertain flying some one to get it and fly them home??

I'm not opposed entirely to the idea, but ideally, if it were being ridden I'd like it to be ridden by me ;) and a pair of flights would be just about what haulbikes would charge me to deliver the bike to the end of my driveway in its current sparkly clean condition.

Wow, every man has his price, I guess. Seems to me though, that you should pay all of your own expenses, and then owe Josh some rental money when you arrive in Portland.... And besides, if Josh starts paying for all that, he's better off paying to have it shipped. There's no wear and tear on the bike, and virtually no risk.

Having said that: I've got some vacation time that I don't know what to do with. When are you looking to have the bike moved?

Eric - good news! I'm not actually in Portland but currently staying just outside of Olympia (ok, at this moment I'm in Nevada, but the bike needs to get to Olympia), so we're practically neighbors, no?

Since you've got that vacation time and made the suggestion, how much do you think you should be paying me to ride the bike back here? ;)

...man, when I posted this I never considered the idea that I might *make* some money - Oooh - I know: I need a few people to pay me to ride it around a bit and then I'll end up with a free bike. A free....dirty....in need of maintenance....with a bunch more miles on it bike.... hmm...

The amount I'm willing to pay is in direct proportion to how luxurious a ride it is. And inversely related to how much hassle I have to go through, stopping at local mechanic shops along the way.... A 2 year old or less Goldwing (or equivalent), might get you a 1/2 rack. A 1985 honda rebel, and you're gonna owe me some beer.... A lot of it.

We can all take turns, just like the village bicycle....

Actually, that might be kinda fun: The forum, as a group, could buy a bike and we could all take turns riding it from one member's residence to the next. See how many miles we can rack up on the thing before it pukes. It would be a great way to do a meet and greet.

szurszewski

39783055660_8a5f29aabe_z.jpg

Which way would that have the suds flowing? I mean, I wouldn't call it luxurious, but it's also a pretty long way from a 250 Rebel ;)

Edited by szurszewski

Don't ship it!

I learned the very hard way that these things hate to be on trailers, particularly if a numbskull like me is strapping them down. Cracked bodywork (out of view) where the strap barely touched the panel. The destruction occurred where the two panels overlap, and the underneath panel cracked by the well nut. Not easily repairable, profanity inducing, bad juju. Fortunately I found a pristine replacement for not so cheap, and there aren't many around. Super caution is advised.

Wonderful motorcycle. Congrats!

2018042023575752-2017062514205158-IMG_2489-X4.jpg

szurszewski
Don't ship it!

I learned the very hard way that these things hate to be on trailers, particularly if a numbskull like me is strapping them down. Cracked bodywork (out of view) where the strap barely touched the panel. The destruction occurred where the two panels overlap, and the underneath panel cracked by the well nut. Not easily repairable, profanity inducing, bad juju. Fortunately I found a pristine replacement for not so cheap, and there aren't many around. Super caution is advised.

Wonderful motorcycle. Congrats!

2018042023575752-2017062514205158-IMG_2489-X4.jpg

Hi Jake - thanks for the heads up!

If I were tying it down, I was thinking to do it the same with as the RT with soft-straps going to the front suspension and not to the bars, and then to the rear frame at or near the passenger peg mounts. Sort of like this (wrong Ducati I know, but couldn't find a pic of tied down ST - or even an in focus pic of anything, obviously):

40889575014_b303df7a29.jpg

In a quick google of "how to tie down a Ducati STx" I found a few people suggesting similar to the above, and also a couple of recommendations for Cycle Cynch, which appears to be like a Canyon Dancer handlebar harness (which I have) but better in that it somehow is designed to keep the grip strap points away from the controls on the bike.

In any case, the guy I'm buying it from seems to be a real rider, and I think that means he often puts a bike in his van or on a trailer to get out of the snow so he can ride a longer season. I know for sure that he has transported the ST2 that way at least a few times, and he'll be there when whoever picks it up picks up...I'm hoping that means it won't get broken!

PS - are you sure it was the straps that cracked your fairing and not just the ST4s's massively-more-than-my-soon-to-be-ST2's horsepower trying to break out of the shell? ;)

edit: I just looked it up and I guess it's not that much more HP....

Well, I was loathe to use the handlebars in the first place, but I didn't recall having an option to tie to the forks with the Kendon front securing locations as contact with the lower fairing seemed certain. You do have a good point regarding what ultimately cracked the fairing though. You will find yourself at risk of running into the backs of RTs on occasion!

Dennis Andress

I seriously tweaked a handlebar on my K13 S by tying to it. I want to get two of these for our trailer. The chock will hold the bike upright on it's own, so two straps pulling forward from the back should be all that's needed.

Nice bike, Josh!

Edited by Dennis Andress
szurszewski

Thanks Dennis - looking forward to seeing if I actually like (I've yet to even sit on one). I figure if I really don't like it maybe Laura will, and if she doesn't I guess we can just put in the living room and I'll enjoy looking at it :)

"...and also a couple of recommendations for Cycle Cynch, which appears to be like a Canyon Dancer handlebar harness (which I have) but better in that it somehow is designed to keep the grip strap points away from the controls on the bike."

I have a ST3s and have trailered it and put in the back of the PU many times. A four point is all ya need and the illustration you show is good.

DO NOT USE a Canyon Dancer. Any pressure on the handlebar controls will cause the plastic indent pin, which registers the control on the handlebar, will snap.

On another note... I know a shipper (moto only) that my brothers and I have used many times that is reasonable and timely. He's located in Wisconsin. PM me if you want his contact information.

Good luck with the bike and transport!

:thumbsup:

Which way would that have the suds flowing? I mean, I wouldn't call it luxurious, but it's also a pretty long way from a 250 Rebel ;)

Beautiful Ducati! I love my ST and hope you enjoy yours as well. I just bought a '04 1000DS Supersport from its original owner in Indiana and considered several options to get it out here. Alas, I went with the tried and true method I've used the past three times - Federal Transport and it'll arrive in just over a week. I once drove out to Dayton, OH, to pick up a pristine '04 KRS and in retrospect it wasn't cost effective. Don't get me wrong......it was an adventure and a lot of fun but the drive back in an icy blizzard took the luster off of what would otherwise have been a great road trip.

This is how it's gonna look, if I end up riding it over.... (sadly, I can't get the image to show up, but the link seems to work).

LINK

This is how it's gonna look, if I end up riding it over.... (sadly, I can't get the image to show up, but the link seems to work).

LINK

Linky no worky.

szurszewski

LINK

Linky no worky.

Same for me. Maybe email me the link and I'll post up the pic.

szurszewski

Beautiful Ducati! I love my ST and hope you enjoy yours as well. I just bought a '04 1000DS Supersport from its original owner in Indiana and considered several options to get it out here. Alas, I went with the tried and true method I've used the past three times - Federal Transport and it'll arrive in just over a week. I once drove out to Dayton, OH, to pick up a pristine '04 KRS and in retrospect it wasn't cost effective. Don't get me wrong......it was an adventure and a lot of fun but the drive back in an icy blizzard took the luster off of what would otherwise have been a great road trip.

I'm confident that I will enjoy the wheels off of it.

I torally agree that the most logical thing is to pay a shipper - gas alone for a round trip to haul it back myself is almost that much right off. But then if we were truly logical economists we'd be talking about the great 2000 Honda Civic I just found!

(not that there's anything wrong with a civic...)

LINK

Linky no worky.

Jeez, I must be getting old. It used to be that girls were the big mystery. Now it's computers.

szurszewski

LINK

Linky no worky.

Jeez, I must be getting old. It used to be that girls were the big mystery. Now it's computers.

I got you -

40912265844_4a3d92d94d_z.jpg

as far as the computer stuff goes anyway. If you need help with girls, well, best to ask someone else.

edit to add: I think it would be more dramatic if you put it over the "Ducati" up on the fairing; plus maybe a theft detterent:

Hey man - ain't that one of them Dookahtees? Maybe we should throw in the back of the truck....

Nah man - look at the front - it's just a cheap drug store made in China knock-off; them things are crap.

Edited by szurszewski

When will I learn? I showed that pic to my wife. Now I have to plan a trip to Wall Drug with her, so she can get that stupid sticker. I told her she can buy it online for $1, but she's not having it.

When will I learn? I showed that pic to my wife. Now I have to plan a trip to Wall Drug with her, so she can get that stupid sticker. I told her she can buy it online for $1, but she's not having it.

Wife? What is this wife thing you speak of? :dontknow:

Horning in on szurszewski's thread, here's a pic of what's arriving at Casa Beemerboy in early May:

1000DS-L.jpg

szurszewski

Did you suggest that to get there the two of you first fly to Minnesota?

szurszewski

Horning in on szurszewski's thread, here's a pic of what's arriving at Casa Beemerboy in early May:

1000DS-L.jpg

I am definitely not responsible enough for that. Good thing I can't afford one!

I use something like these when I need to put the HP4 in the back of the truck or on the trailer.....even use it for the RT.

277_532_large.jpg

1000DS-L.jpg

you need that thing delivered too? Don't worry, I'll treat it like my own... :revit::bike::revit::bike:

I bet I didn't pay much more for it than you did for your ST. The seller is the original owner and by his own admission was getting too old to handle the aggressive riding position and he wanted to see it go to a good home.....that's where I came into the picture. :whistle:

you need that thing delivered too? Don't worry, I'll treat it like my own... :revit::bike::revit::bike:

What a sweetheart you are, Eric! Wow!! :Cool:

szurszewski

I bet I didn't pay much more for it than you did for your ST. The seller is the original owner and by his own admission was getting too old to handle the aggressive riding position and he wanted to see it go to a good home.....that's where I came into the picture. :whistle:

Maybe so, but I can't really afford the ST... oh well!

and I'm not manly enough to fly out and ride it back (right now at least).

Morning szurszewski

I had an ST2 for a while, not a bad riding bike but the fueling control is pretty crude as those had early design electronic fuel injection but no o2 sensor. Those early Ducati electronic fuel injected bikes REALLY responded well to a specialized chip for the fueling computer as well as opening up the exhaust restriction a little. (mufflers were pretty tightly corked to get U.S. import approval)

If that bike has been sitting for a few years with little or no riding & no belt maintenance then you probably don't want to ride it home anyhow as the Ducati ST2 uses a 1: to 1: cam belt ratio (ie gets the camshaft 1/2 speed inside the engine not in the belt drive/driven ratio. This basically means that both cam belts run around very small diameter drive & driven sprockets so that forces lots of belt flexing at the small diameter sprocket interface. (good news is, the cam belts were not expensive or difficult to find).

You definitely do not want to break a cam belt as the engine is an interference type engine so with no valve springs to park a spinning cam at valve-closed position then a broken cam belt will usually bend a couple of valves, ruin a piston, & sometimes ruin a cylinder head.

The good news is the ST2 is pre-high tec so you can install & adjust the cam belt tension yourself (not difficult) as you don't need a frequency tuner to adjust or set cam belt tension.

When you get that bike check the manual as the gas tank is actually on a hinge so easily pivots up out of the way without removing (works best with under 1/4 tank of fuel in it).

szurszewski

Good morning, D.R., thanks for the contribution. :) My understanding is the bike, though part of a decent sized stable, has been ridden regularly though not for many miles at a time. I'll see if I can confirm the date for the most recent service/belt change (I know the mileage), and change them if warranted.

This bike is all stock, but I imagine to my rather unrefined palate that will be fine. If not, there seem to be readily available options in chips and exhaust, so I can look into that.

Cheers!

josh

szurszewski
So when are we going riding?

That's a great question! I think you two are going to be hard to keep up with anyway, so probably should wait unit I actually get the Ducati (though if I bring the sidecar rig I could carry the snacks...lots and lots of snacks!). Hopefully that will be pretty soon. I just got an email through ADV from a guy in Detroit who maybe wants to buy our rig...that's not that far from MN, so maybe a road trip to drop one and pick up the other? :dontknow: In any case it will probably be a few weeks still...so, how about in a few weeks? :grin:

Dennis Andress

Sounds good. We're bored with the Olympic Peninsula already and plan on riding towards Rainer and further south now. That ST2 will be a good match to our R1200 Sts.

szurszewski
Sounds good. We're bored with the Olympic Peninsula already and plan on riding towards Rainer and further south now. That ST2 will be a good match to our R1200 Sts.

Looking very much forward to riding around Rainier on this thing for sure. The bike may be a good match for yours, but I don't know that I am. Laney would probably leave me in the dust if she loaned me her bike and she rode my dad's Vespa :)