Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#1009451 - 04/13/18 01:32 AM runs rough when warm  
Matth3w Offline
Matth3w  Offline

Ohio
99 1100rt got a decent overhaul over the winter and living in Ohio its finally been nice enough to ride it. from start to about 3 bars on the temp indicator it runs like its brand new off the shelf but as the bike warms up and especially at full op temp it sputters at WOT. im guessing from early or late ignition? any other adjustments for this? and yes the carbs were synced.

Sept 24th 2016 will never be forgotten.
#1009462 - 04/13/18 11:08 AM Re: runs rough when warm [Re: Matth3w]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted by Matth3w
99 1100rt got a decent overhaul over the winter and living in Ohio its finally been nice enough to ride it. from start to about 3 bars on the temp indicator it runs like its brand new off the shelf but as the bike warms up and especially at full op temp it sputters at WOT. im guessing from early or late ignition? any other adjustments for this? and yes the carbs were synced.

Morning Matth3w

Your problem doesn't sound like either late ignition or early ignition as neither will cause a sputter or stutter.

We need you to fully explain (as in depth as possible) the warm engine sputter, like how much throttle does it begin at, how long does it continue, does it do it at part throttle under a hill climbing load or ONLY at WOT. (we need WAY more info to give you much help on this).

What was done during the overhaul?

Without much more to go on I guess the first thing to suggest that you do a fuel pressure & fuel flow test. Or at least do a good fuel return-line flow test. This will show if your engine is getting enough fuel delivery at enough pressure.

Does your bike still have the original CCP in the fuse box? Does it even have a CCP in the fuse box?

Is the R/H spark plug wire well clear of the throttle body cam at wide open throttle?

Last thing-- your 2099 BMW 1100RT is fuel injected so doesn't have carburetors, it has throttle bodies.

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#1009467 - 04/13/18 12:51 PM Re: runs rough when warm [Re: Matth3w]  
AndyS Offline
AndyS  Offline

Somerset, Great Britain.

What did this overhaul consist of (exactly)?

#1009498 - 04/13/18 09:59 PM Re: runs rough when warm [Re: Matth3w]  
Matth3w Offline
Matth3w  Offline

Ohio
it only happens when you jump on it so any gear and WOT any RPM, it happens for maybe a second if i then clears up then does it again so it will fade in and out but is definitely running much more rough than when cold. new plugs, coils, wires, oil and filter, fuel pump, air filter, TBs were taken off and soaked and cleaned. new injectors and new packing in muffler. I know the fuel pressure is good because my first start up I had allot of popping (another post about this) really rough idle and exhaust popping and fuel pressure was one of the checks. had the TBs synced because I had 170 psi in right cyl and 160 in left and was told it would draw more/less air. the CCP is that chip for emissions right? its still there and I have no evap can or cat. the popping was cleared when I drained the gas and refueled with fresh 93.

#1009501 - 04/13/18 10:27 PM Re: runs rough when warm [Re: Matth3w]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
it only happens when you jump on it so any gear and WOT any RPM, it happens for maybe a second if i then clears up then does it again so it will fade in and out but is definitely running much more rough than when cold. new plugs, coils, wires, oil and filter, fuel pump, air filter, TBs were taken off and soaked and cleaned. new injectors and new packing in muffler. I know the fuel pressure is good because my first start up I had allot of popping (another post about this) really rough idle and exhaust popping and fuel pressure was one of the checks. had the TBs synced because I had 170 psi in right cyl and 160 in left and was told it would draw more/less air. the CCP is that chip for emissions right? its still there and I have no evap can or cat. the popping was cleared when I drained the gas and refueled with fresh 93.

Evening Matth3w

Still not enough info to pinpoint the problem but the "only happening at WOT in any gear" kind of points to either lacking enough fuel flow or a weak spark (either can cause that WOT problem).

I'm still going to suggest a fuel return flow test just to eliminate that. Be a shame to chase a number of complicated possibilities only to have it track back to a low fuel flow problem.

With the new ignition parts it would also be a good idea to measure the ignition system's secondary side resistance from the plug wire spark plug terminal on one side back through the coil's secondary to the plug wire's spark plug terminal on the other side (total resistance). This should also be eliminated before moving on to other possibilities.

Have you verified that the R/H spark plug wire is not near, or contacting, the R/H side throttle body cam at WOT? (this should also be eliminated)

Also, make sure that the o2 sensor's pig tail wire is not zip tied or routed along, or near, the R/H spark plug wire & that it's not hanging down onto the hot exhaust system.

Lacking more specific info we are still in the guessing stage on this.

D.R. ___
#1010060 - 04/23/18 02:58 AM Re: runs rough when warm [Re: Matth3w]  
Matth3w Offline
Matth3w  Offline

Ohio
R/H plug wire not hampering anything, pigtail is tied up and not bare or touching anything, fuel return is flowing steady and strong, resistance on coils are good. so I removed the yellow relay and it ran worse. I reset motronic by removing fuse 5 and driving it around a bit and it actually seemed to get a little better but not completely. here is a picture of my spark plug, both sides look the same, to me it looks normal but what do you think? https://postimg.cc/image/4ugqfn1nx/ I also tried running it with no air filter and with a rag in the filter to block air to compensate if it was lean or rich and nothing changed.

#1010063 - 04/23/18 04:26 AM Re: runs rough when warm [Re: Matth3w]  
Matth3w Offline
Matth3w  Offline

Ohio
Im going to try and record a short ride, it almost sounds like the cylinders are fighting each other which would be caused by early ignition right? Is my octane level not high enough?

#1010069 - 04/23/18 11:25 AM Re: runs rough when warm [Re: Matth3w]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
here is a picture of my spark plug, both sides look the same, to me it looks normal but what do you think? https://postimg.cc/image/4ugqfn1nx/

Morning Matth3w

Spark plug electrode gap looks wide, what electrode gap are you using? Those at not stock looking spark plugs, what are you using for spark plugs???? (the electrode gap just looks too large in the picture so maybe it is OK but just looks funny in the picture)

You don't want over .040" as your conventional spark plug wires are not thick silicone high-KV-rated so with a very wide spark plug electrode gap the spark can arc right through the plug wire insulation to ground. Plus with a large electrode gap the coil can arc internally as the BMW coil isn't a designed for wide gap plugs.

If electrode gap is over .040" you should try new spark plugs that come as new with around .032"-.035" gap.

If your current plugs have a wide (measured) electrode gap then you can T-R-Y to adjust it narrower but that isn't recommended on modern wide-gap exotic metal spark plugs as it is very difficult to get a smaller electrode gap without angling the ground electrode in relation to the center electrode.

D.R. ___
#1010076 - 04/23/18 12:41 PM Re: runs rough when warm [Re: Matth3w]  
dan cata Offline
dan cata  Offline

Romania
Perhaps it has to do with gas flow, not being enough at WOT, where the flow is higher than at let's say, idle speed.

Dan.

#1010081 - 04/23/18 01:32 PM Re: runs rough when warm [Re: dan cata]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted by dan cata
Perhaps it has to do with gas flow, not being enough at WOT, where the flow is higher than at let's say, idle speed.

Dan.

Morning Dan

He was asked to run a fuel return flow test in a previous posting & his answer was "fuel return is flowing steady and strong", so that indicates plenty of fuel availability.

D.R. ___
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8