IGNORED

Anybody been to Americade?

Been there a couple of times, usually just a one night stay over but very worth it, Wing or no Wing. A nice ride up to Lake Placid and then on to Wilmington and Whiteface Mountain. Easy day ride.

Pat

Been there every year since 1991. Registered for this year as well. I go with my brother primarily to "test ride" the many bikes available there.

We are not shopping. We just like riding and want to sample what's out there. My brother did use the experience to help him decide on his 2009 Yamaha FJ1300, having ridden most of the competition at Americade.

I haven't ridden anything yet that's significantly better than my 05 R1200RT although I must admit that the test riding did convince me at the time that I needed that bike.

We go on Monday and stay through dawn on Sunday, weather permitting. We test ride Tuesday through Saturday typically getting 5 or 5 different bikes in each day with time to visit the expo and "walk around" seeing all the bikes etc.

If you want to test ride, it's a good plan to be on line early each day, say 7 or possibly earlier for an 8 am sign up and rides beginning about 9 am. Each manufacturer is different so in some cases, the early line is not necessary, Harley for example.

Last year we "test rode" BMW, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Ducati & Moto Guzzi. Could have also ridden Harley and Indian but they don't have any models that interest us. Also there, CanAm and Slingshot. I think most of those will be there this year.

Hope this helps you decide.

Roy

Thanks Pat and Rob,

We've been staying at Whippoorwill Motel and Campsites for all the time's we've been there, on the same campsite. Their site.

It's a couple of miles from downtown Lake Gorge.

I've already got my reservations.

Maybe see you there?

Roy

Looks like a very nice spot to camp! :thumbsup: Roy, I don't remember but do you need to register in order to demo the various brands of motorcycles that are there?

Pat

Hi Pat,

If they have not changed the rules significantly, Harley and Yamaha should be outside the fee area. They claim they have made significant "improvements" this year hinting there might be some time when access to the other manufactures would be available. See here

Harley and Yamaha have always been outside the "paid" area. I'm assuming that will still be true but we pay the minimal registration to get full access the whole week. That's the "Classic Pass" which is $79.($84.53 w/ taxes).

You can also get a "Day Pass" for $10 but, given the wait lines for rides, that limits your ride options pretty much. Registration

Hope this helps.

Roy

You can also get a "Day Pass" for $10 but, given the wait lines for rides, that limits your ride options pretty much. Registration

Hope this helps.

I like the Day Pass idea because I wouldn't be there all week. Now does this mean you guys pre-sign up for the entire week's demos or, just get down there early each day? I'd like to follow along with you on the 5th and ride as many bikes as possible. If you don't mind. :dontknow:

Thanks again for all the great info! :thumbsup:

Pat

Okay,

I will not make it there this year either, but I do have a very good reason. I have been invited to be part of a Veterans' Relief Ride around the same time. Looks to be a fun and interesting time. Maybe I will get there next year. Thanks for all the information.

Rob

• 1 month later...

Morning Roy! :wave: No some family stuff came up that kept me busy. Next year for sure as long as ...if....well...maybe....please...oh come on....doesn't happen again! :/ Hope you guys had fun, did ya like the new Wing?

Pat

Morning Pat,

Yeah, we had fun, as always. Here's a link to the photos. https://photos.app.goo.gl/UkgrR4oAN9EMVtL8A

Honda is very difficult to schedule a ride with if you also want to ride with the other brands as well. We did manage a ride on the new Wing however. Got the one with the DST I think it's called. No clutch shifting. Actually, no clutch available with "paddle shifters" on the left hand grip. The ride was a bit pokey but good. The bike was fine but not inspiring. Less of a barge than previously. The DST was a bit off-putting but I began to get comfortable with it on the rather short ride. I think I would opt for the one with an actual clutch.I've never been a big fan of the wing but I would probably like this on the best of them. As you will see in the photos, it appears quite capable in the right hands. I'm a died in the wool RT guy and I like the one I have enough to want to keep it indefinitely, even having ridden the new one every chance I get. Rode it twice this time. Great bike in every edition, especially since 2005. See the comment on the Skills Rider RT photo.

We got to "test ride" 5 days and 22 bikes. Got on line by 7 am or earlier each day and booked rides 10 am and later to allow time to get on multiple lines and even have time for breakfast. All rides begin at 9am.

Honda wants you there as early as 4 and gives you a delicatessen ticket. You then return at 8 am and wait for your number to be called. You then get to pick a time and a bike, depending of availability at that time. If you get there early (4am) and get a low number you get your pick pretty much of whatever you want. However, if you are at Honda at 8am waiting for your number to be called, you are not in the other lines who all sign up based on your line position normally beginning at 8am. You could be at Honda for an hour waiting for your number to be called. We found that very frustrating, given our goal to ride as many bikes as possible. We actually went back to Honda about 4 times Wednesday after getting our numbers at 7 and finally got a booked for a 2:30 ride on the only Wings they had left. Considered ourselves lucky. Honda was in the highest demand given the new Wing which I think they had 8 or more.

Best ride was with Aaprilia, assuming you wanted to go fast on nice curvy roads. They also had the longest ride and they have very fast bikes.

Needless to say, we had great fun.

We are planning to be there next year.

Hope to see you on the road somewhere. :wave:

Roy

Thanks for the review of your experience, Roy! :thumbsup: Yes, sounds like a hoop jumping contest to test ride a Honda. :read: And, your pics are spectacular as usual! :clap:

Pat