IGNORED

Went for a ride today

Ron in Buffalo

Ron in Buffalo

I was pleasantly surprise today. This is the first chance to take a ride. I pick up a 1994 r1100rs in Feburary. I rode 155 miles today. For a 24 year old motorcycle it was a nice ride. I don't have any complaints. I glad the previous over was a fanatic about maintance. If it works like this all season I luck out. Anything I should keep an eye out for going wrong?

James in OK

If you have rubber brake lines, replace them with braided stainless lines (Spiegler) yesterday. Old ones WILL fail and leave you without brakes.

If you have the old style left side cam chain tensioner, replace with the new style.

If your HES wiring is stock, get it rewired by GSAddict for much less than the cost of a new one. Old ones WILL fail and leave you stranded.

Otherwise, they are amazingly durable and trouble-free bikes if maintained. Mine is a 2000; my dad has had two 1994 models and now has a 2001.

If you have rubber brake lines, replace them with braided stainless lines (Spiegler) yesterday. Old ones WILL fail and leave you without brakes.

If you have the old style left side cam chain tensioner, replace with the new style.

If your HES wiring is stock, get it rewired by GSAddict for much less than the cost of a new one. Old ones WILL fail and leave you stranded.

Otherwise, they are amazingly durable and trouble-free bikes if maintained. Mine is a 2000; my dad has had two 1994 models and now has a 2001.

DO everything James says NOW in your garage, or on the side of the road somewhere. AMHIK.

17mm hex on the old left side cam chain tensioner, 15mm hex on the replacement unit.

Really nice bike!!

I was pleasantly surprise today. This is the first chance to take a ride. I pick up a 1994 r1100rs in Feburary. I rode 155 miles today. For a 24 year old motorcycle it was a nice ride. I don't have any complaints. I glad the previous over was a fanatic about maintance. If it works like this all season I luck out. Anything I should keep an eye out for going wrong?

It's been a ridiculously long winter up here, hasn't it?! I put 20 miles on (all I had time for after putting it back together from a valve adjustment).

Just did final drive, gear box, oil, new alternator belt, all four plugs, the tensioner they're talking about, AND a valve adjustment... and it runs and sounds exactly like it did before I did any of that LOL! But I feel a little better -- peace of mind. My P.O. already did the brake lines! Most work I've ever done on a bike.

I'll wave when I see you!