IGNORED

RT1100 rear wheel swap 18” to 17"

Woodchips

Good afternoon

I have been looking to swap out the 18” rear wheel on my 96 RT1100 for a 17”.

I came across a used three spoke cast wheel at a local bike shop that has the part number: 36.31-2 310 188 MTH2 3.00x17E. I have checked the BMW fiche but cannot find that part number. The shop has identified it as coming off a 1995 K1100 but cannot be sure of the model or year as the rest of the bike was never in their shop. Anybody familiar with this rim and know if it will work on the RT?

At $50, it's either a bargin or a headache :-))

The part number for my stock rim is: 36.31-2 311 275 4.50X18.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ron

Edited by Woodchips
szurszewski

Here's a post about putting on a wheel from a K1200LT

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=928837&page=all

not sure if that's the same wheel as the K1100 or not (I can look at mine, but it's a coupel states away right now).

Here's a BMWMOA discussion, but I think you need to be a member:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?43026-R1100RT-R1150RT-wheel-swap

And here's what Anton L. has to say about BMW wheels:

http://largiader.com/parts/wheels.html

Good afternoon

I have been looking to swap out the 18” rear wheel on my 96 RT1100 for a 17”.

I came across a used three spoke cast wheel at a local bike shop that has the part number: 36.31-2 310 188 MTH2 3.00x17E. I have checked the BMW fiche but cannot find that part number. The shop has identified it as coming off a 1995 K1100 but cannot be sure of the model or year as the rest of the bike was never in their shop. Anybody familiar with this rim and know if it will work on the RT?

At $50, it's either a bargin or a headache :-))

The part number for my stock rim is: 36.31-2 311 275 4.50X18.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ron

Morning Ron

That number is the wheel casting number not the part number. That 36.31-2 310 188 MTH2 3.00x17E was used on some of the old K-75 bikes.

It might fit your bike as the offset is close BUT, that 36.31-2 310 188 MTH2 3.00x17E is only 3" wide so will be too narrow for most tires that are suitable for the rear of your 1100RT.

Thanks dirt rider

I kind of suspected those numbers were casting numbers, and was concerned about the 3.00” vs the 4.5” width.

I'm going to pass on the purchase and keep to the 17” while the tire selection is limited, I've not had any difficulty locating them.

The other sites mentioned provide a lot of information, and while there seems to be a lot of choices available to go with a 17” rim, the cost of shipping, exchange rate, and duties required to bring them into Canada can get a little pricey.

Ron

Hiya.... FYI, I just bought a set of Michelin Road Pilot 3's for my '99 R1100R (also an 18" rear)... I was going to order from Fortnine.ca (Cdn $$, free shipping), but a local shop matched their price. Availability didn't seem to be an issue, as the local shop had them on hand 3 days after I talked to them (2 weeks ago). Fortnine listed them as in stock. And yes, as far as I can tell the newer Michelin types (4 or 5) don't come in 18 rears... I think the local beemer shop puts battlax's on as replacements unless you request something else. They were not helpful when I called and asked their recommendation, and for pricing... Service/parts guy I talked to didn't know anything about the 17 vs 18" availability issue.