IGNORED

Parking Light Change

JDog

Hello. After a trip and bike wash, the warning light for front lights came on----2010 1200RT. Headlights are fine, but both parking lights are out. The manual was very short on how to get to them, but I finally was able to expose the opening to the parking light bulb. However, the opening is way small (I don't think my wife's hand can get in there!), and although I can move the bulb "handle", unable to do anything else. I would just go with leaving the bulbs in there but then have the warning light on constantly. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I changed mine out for LEDs (it didn't really make any difference to the bike's conspicuity BTY so don't waste your money). You get to them by removing the turn signal housings and jamming a hand in there, finding the 'handle' and turn by pushing downward to unlock, and them tugging on the wire to pull them out. It's very tricky to do it but that's how it works. Once you do one (do the left one first if you have a radio). The right side was much harder because the radio's antenna, a wide, flat, braided ribbon, gets in the way. The 'handles' are at different locations from one side to the other to so keep that in mind as you fiddle around trying to find it by feel.

On my 2012rt I installed LEDs. I never had a light out fault displayed. I do not think that the computer monitors those lights. They are also referred to as City Lights. The original bulbs draw 5 watts each. My LEDs draw 1 watt each. So if one bulb went out it would trigger a fault but since I'm drawing 2 watts total versus 5 if one bulb was out I came to the conclusion those bulbs are not monitored by the computer. You might have a different problem.

Parking lights are only ones out in front, and the manual says these lights out will trigger the fault signal.

At any rate, thanks, I'll have to find a small pair of hands!