IGNORED

Need a little help with brake pad replacement

speedybee

So I just had my 2009 RT serviced at the dealer which included front and rear brake fluid change. I was informed that the brake pads needed replacement but since I had the new pads sitting on my shelf I did not have the dealer replace them. I want to install the pads I already have myself which seems to be a straight forward task. However, I have concern about the brake fluid level. Since the fluid was just serviced, will I need to draw some fluid off before installing the new pads? And if so, what are the steps for doing this?

So I just had my 2009 RT serviced at the dealer which included front and rear brake fluid change. I was informed that the brake pads needed replacement but since I had the new pads sitting on my shelf I did not have the dealer replace them. I want to install the pads I already have myself which seems to be a straight forward task. However, I have concern about the brake fluid level. Since the fluid was just serviced, will I need to draw some fluid off before installing the new pads? And if so, what are the steps for doing this?

Afternoon speedybee

IF (big IF here) the brake service was done PROPERLY by your dealer then you should not need to remove any brake fluid from the reservoirs.

If the brake service was done in a hurry with the brake fluid topped completely up on worn brake pads then you might need to remove some fluid so they will not

be over-filled with new brake pads installed.

If you need to remove brake fluid then just remove the reservoir covers & use something like a clean turkey baster to remove some fluid.

Be SURE to put plastic garbage bags and/or newspapers under the front brake fluid reservoir to protect the paint & dash plastic before messing with the fluid as brake fluid is

a great paint remover & plastic fogger.

(or)- If you can determine how much fluid to remove without removing the covers then you can probably lower the fluid level by opening a bleed screw on each end with a hose attached to the bleed screw. (this way if mostly for experienced technical types as it is difficult to judge)

speedybee

Both reservoirs were full. I used a syringe to withdrawal some fluid and then I installed the new pads with any problems. But why did the inside pads wear so much more than the outers?

Edited by speedybee
dirtrider
Both reservoirs were full. I used a syringe to withdrawal some fluid and then I installed the new pads with any problems. But why did the inside pads wear so much more than the outers?

Evening speedybee

The fronts are 4 piston calipers so should wear fairly evenly.

The rear is a single side caliper so those can wear the inside pad more than the outside.

Also, a new inner rear pad starts out thinner, with 5.25mm of friction material vs 7.0mm on the outside pad.