IGNORED

Cruise Control adjustment?

redryder

I have been riding my old 1150RT for over a decade and half, and it's a great bike to be sure. In addition to that bike, I've owned 3 K bikes in the same time period, all with cruise control; 1200LT, 1300GT and 1600GTL. This is the first R bike I've had with cruise and I have a question with respect to the cruise control. When I have it engaged on flat ground and approach a hill it keeps the selected speed just fine, but when I have the cruise engaged and ride down a hill and transition to an uphill segment (as in rolling hills) the bike's speed slows to almost 5 mph then the engine surges to gain the speed back. It's not a big deal, but does anyone know if there's any adjustment the tech can do through the computer to make the sensitivity a little more proactive?

So far, the 1200RTW is an awesome bike, so much so that I don't even miss my GTL and that wonderfully smooth 6 hole motor. This is the only real issues, if you can even call it that, I've had.

I don't know about adjustment. I will say that I have not noticed my '14 RT doing that with cruise engaged. Might be something to have the BMW shop look at.

LittleBriar
When I have it engaged on flat ground and approach a hill it keeps the selected speed just fine, but when I have the cruise engaged and ride down a hill and transition to an uphill segment (as in rolling hills) the bike's speed slows to almost 5 mph then the engine surges to gain the speed back.

Are you saying when going uphill the speed decreases by 5 mph or actually goes all the way down to 5 mph? My 16' RT will fluctuate +/- 4 mph when going up and down hills which is not as good as most modern cars but I think the variation is within tolerance.

I have been riding my old 1150RT for over a decade and half, and it's a great bike to be sure. In addition to that bike, I've owned 3 K bikes in the same time period, all with cruise control; 1200LT, 1300GT and 1600GTL. This is the first R bike I've had with cruise and I have a question with respect to the cruise control. When I have it engaged on flat ground and approach a hill it keeps the selected speed just fine, but when I have the cruise engaged and ride down a hill and transition to an uphill segment (as in rolling hills) the bike's speed slows to almost 5 mph then the engine surges to gain the speed back. It's not a big deal, but does anyone know if there's any adjustment the tech can do through the computer to make the sensitivity a little more proactive?

So far, the 1200RTW is an awesome bike, so much so that I don't even miss my GTL and that wonderfully smooth 6 hole motor. This is the only real issues, if you can even call it that, I've had.

Morning redryder

Check with your dealer to see if they have an updated CIP to address that issue.

Does the speed set act the same on rolling hills if using the cruise control in all the different riding modes? Or if it more sedated in rain mode?

Try riding in 5th gear under the same rolling roads to see if that tames the speed gain/loss to a more evenly held speed.

Holding a precisely set speed in rolling hills with a light vehicle, manual trans, & responsive engine is a difficult thing to program into an electronic cruise control system. If it is programed to hold a smooth steady speed on level roads then it will lag a little on up hill/ downhill control. If it is programed to hold precisely on uphill/downhill rolling hills then it can surge as it tries to hold a precise speed-set on a level road.

Using a lower gear can sometimes help over/under shoot on the rolling hills.

It may be a Gear, RPM thing. If you are in 6th maybe try it in 5th or even 4th. I would find a hill to simulate it and run it a few time back to back to see if changing gears keeps it more stable speed wise.

Edited by LAF

Sorry for the delay in getting back to everyone...work sometimes takes priority over fun.

This is a query about my 1200, I didn't make that very clear in my OP I see. I was in 5th gear and in ROAD mode. Next time out I'll try it in other gears as well as the other ride modes.

And again I wasn't very clear in the OP but I meant that the speed would drop down 5 mph below the selected speed then the engine would quickly accelerate it back to the set speed. I may just be spoiled by the last 3 K bikes I had, especially the K1300, it didn't vary by more than .5 mph.

I may just be spoiled by the last 3 K bikes I had, especially the K1300, it didn't vary by more than .5 mph.

Not spoiled. That is exactly how the cruise control is supposed to work. My 2005 RT cruise control works exactly your old K1300. It's holds the speed up and down hills within a mile per hour. There's seems to be quite a bit of trouble with the cruise control on the Wet heads. I have two friends who have had the switch complex changed already... one of them, twice.