IGNORED

“Oil check”. warning

nrfdmd

I have a 2005 BMW R1200RT with 47,000 miles on it and I started noticing recently that when I am well warmed up and on the road my digital readout is showing a “ oil check “ readout whenever I come to a stop even thought the oil level is topped up. When I start moving it returns to the previous readout. Is this somethinbg that I should be concerned about and does it suggest a specific issue that may be sdeveloping? I would be very grateful if someone could offer some insight into this issue. The performance of the bike does not seem in any way effected.

The oil check mark when the bike is not moving is normal.

It toggles to that display when the bike stops moving

It means your oil level is OK.

When this one appears < ! > it means that your oil level is low. (You are probably at the bottom of the sight glass and are missing about 500 ml - 1/2 a quart)

Edited by Dann
dirtrider
I have a 2005 BMW R1200RT with 47,000 miles on it and I started noticing recently that when I am well warmed up and on the road my digital readout is showing a “ oil check “ readout whenever I come to a stop even thought the oil level is topped up. When I start moving it returns to the previous readout. Is this somethinbg that I should be concerned about and does it suggest a specific issue that may be sdeveloping? I would be very grateful if someone could offer some insight into this issue. The performance of the bike does not seem in any way effected.

Morning nrfdmd

To add to what Daniel posted above--

If your system isn't acting per the below picture then there is a BMW service bulletin on replacing the engine's oil level sensor float with a different float to

increase accuracy of the oil level check (floats a little higher)

Q0tjYo7.jpg

Funny, I always thought the check oil level indicator looked like the international symbol for a hospital - a big H. :-)

Thank you for the quick, thorough, insightful comments. I am happy to learn that my aging motorcycle, like it's owner, is still operating at an appropriate level.!!!

You can also toggle your display to the 'Temp" readout, instead of seeing the 'oil readout' at every stop.