IGNORED

2014 R1200RT - Service past 50,000 miles?

hefy_jefy

hefy_jefy

I have owned the bike from new and done all the required services. The bike is running as sweetly today as it did when I took delivery in Sept 2014.

Its coming up for the 50,000 mile service which is the full (12,000 mile) service.

I am just wondering if there's any other service items, or if I should just keep doing the 6,000 / 12,000 mile items?

Geoff

bdfbeemer

I just did the 48 k on my 2014. I think you just keep doing the 6/12 rotation. I will ask next time I drop by a dealer.

There is the alternator belt, suggested every 24K some go 30k

The Wethead doesn't have an alternator bet, sweet. I had one go to spaghetti on my 02R1150RT and it wasn't too far off the scheduled change date. The dealer gave me the wrong belt (it changed mid year) so I was going to get it at the next oil change - spaghetti. I was on a trip good thing a riding bud had a spare in his tail bag.

Jay

Spline lube and inspect drive shaft U Joint. Hear guys are doing preemptive 60K changes.

However Lee, there seems to be no foundation for doing this. Not heard of a failure...yet!

marcopolo

There is also the question of whether to change the coolant, and if so, when, as it's not in the maintenance schedules.

There is also the question of whether to change the coolant, and if so, when, as it's not in the maintenance schedules.

The coolant is supposed to be "permanent", and therefore no schedule for flushing! Personally, I would flush and change at the 50k mark.

kellenbenz

I just did the 60K on my 2017 RT and it was just a 12K that I added a brake flush to. If you haven't replaced brakes, take a close look at those...my fronts were toast at 48K.

Ron

I don't want to put fuel on the fire here...but these are pics of my driveshaft splines at 12,000mi. 2016 RTW, new, in service 5/17.

There was plenty of silver type grease on the end of the driveshaft and pinion compression nut on the final drive, but the splines on both the driveshaft and pinion were dry and starting to show a little rust. The U-joint still feels smooth in both axis of motion.

This is on a 2016RT that has never done a water crossing, or seen a pressure washer. I've washed it off in that area with a gentle garden hose rinse only 2 times in it's service life. There is no evidence of water, sand, or any other debris inside the paralever housing, the accordion boot, or final drive lower area.

To me, it's only about 15min worth of examination and routine maintenance that I will do every 12,000mi. It may not be called for, but this is what I do.

There are lots of things that I do or check on my bike on a routine basis. Lots of attention to brakes, wheel bearings, cooling fins, whatever...just looking with a good flashlight, getting my hands on everything and checking for proper torque on every bolt that I have removed or can move. Doing my own maintenance is a pride of ownership thing that I'm lucky to be able to do...I have the time (now that I'm retired), and I have the tools, or will buy the tools needed for the job at hand.

IMG_0743-X2.jpg

IMG_0740-X2.jpg

hefy_jefy

Thanks guys, yes the front pads will need changing at the next service, I flush the brake fluid every year. I watch the rear drive fluid very closely, never seen anything untoward on the magnetic plug.

I have a long ride coming up, the only thing that's shown any problems at all is the rear tire pressure sensor. On the last long ride it gave an erroneous warning of a flat - but that seems to have cured itself - still, I may change the rear sensor when the next set of tires go on.

I may take a look at the splines though...

Geoff

Edited by hefy_jefy