IGNORED

Jim Ford's rider workshop

LittleBriar

LittleBriar

Took the 2 day workshop this weekend. It was a transformational experience. We road in the Blue Ridge mountains near Floyd, VA. There were 3 students and each was equipped with Sena 20s Bluetooth (rider must provide). After some discussion about technique and a review of his "mantra" we were on the bikes for a demonstration of riding posture (pretty much the yoga posture). Then we hit the road. Jim discussed lane position on the approach, where to look, leaning, etc. This all took place in real time while we followed him down the road. Later, we each took turns out in front with him directly behind as we got instant feedback on what we were doing right and where to improve. That direct, timely feedback was very effective.

Jim places a heavy emphasis on safety and smoothness. He knows the roads well and we were treated to some truly exceptional twisty's with breathtaking scenery.

I finished the weekend with confidence to ride quickly and safely through the most technical roads.

Recommended...

rider workshop

Sounds like a very good class. Maybe some day ...

Two others (since you are in the area, kinda...) that I like to take are:

Bike Safe in NC

Mark Brown's Classes

Both are very good and the bikesafe class is free.

Aside: I ride up near Floyd a number of times a year - beautiful country and some really nice roads. Just hate this time of year with all of the tar & gravel patching that takes place.

LittleBriar

Aside: I ride up near Floyd a number of times a year - beautiful country and some really nice roads. Just hate this time of year with all of the tar & gravel patching that takes place.

I was surprised how good the roads were. Especially since many of them were really what I'll call back roads. Just a few gravel patches but the pavement was clear and smooth. Jim did a great job of explaining and demonstrating how to avoid disaster when encountering gravel and other irregularities. It is essential to look to the vanishing point but also scan about 20 yards ahead for those trouble spots.