IGNORED

Replacement battery - 2006 K1200 R

simskid

Dennis Andress

My 09 K1300 S had trouble cranking over when it was hot. Shorai batteries produce more current when hot. Problem solved.

For a conventional AGM battery, I have sold dozens and dozens of the MotoBatt batteries over the years. Extremely reliable and a two year warranty.

MBTX12U is their number.

Amazon is often a best price for them or the distributor , Impact Battery.com

When installing, we found that using an internal star washer under the small stainless bolts included with the battery prevented them from loosening over time from vibration and the shock of use. Any corner hardware store will have them.

• 2 weeks later...
schumacher62

just the thread i was looking for. Tri750, would this same battery work in a 2004 k1200rs? i just inherited one and its got what appears to be the original Exide in it, but i cant be positive. just looking for something to get it up and running, which it does when jump started.

Your bike is the "brick motor" the MotoBatt number is MB51814.

Amazon is 132. Prime shipping, 126. free slow boat shipping.

If "just inherited" means it's been sitting a long time, those can be great bikes but can have their share of issues depending on the level of maintenance the bike got while it was in service.

Ask about service records or find out what shop it was taken to and check out there. They likely won't give you records, but can discuss the history with you especlliy if you show you were related to the P.O. and you have the bike now.

The two major areas to check on are coolant and brake flushes and of course age of the tires. NOT so much valve adjust.

Always use a "Battery Tender" type charger.

Edited by Tri750

The lithium battery (antigravity) was the only battery that my k1200s didn't kill in a year. Went through AGMs like candy until that. Money well spent.

• 4 weeks later...
schumacher62

thank you for the feedback Tri750. im ready to tackle this bike now, and id like to verify that you suggest a motobatt MB51814 for my 2014 k1200rs. amazon doesnt suggest that battery, but its being a little difficult today. this battery number will be a direct fit for my bike? many thanks!

Here's the page showing the battery for the 2004 K1200RS.

https://www.impactbattery.com/batteries/motorcycle-batteries/bmw/1200cc/k1200rs-1997-2005/

In the above post you have it as a 2014 not a 2004, I assume that's a typo.

The 2004 is the old Brick motor.

Just type the MotoBatt number into the Amazon search bar. Be sure the ugly yellow one comes up.

Re-read the suggestion on star washers.

You can also use vynil repair tape from most hardware stores to wrap the battery in so it's black. Not electrical tape, but it's a small roll about 1.25-1.50" wide near the duct tape section.

Edited by Tri750
schumacher62

yes thats a typo. its a 2004. ill order the mb51814 from amazon then, and thanks again for your help!