IGNORED

1150RT electrical: headlight turn signals, w/shield adjust all "out"

Doug 55

Hi,

Just coming home from a ride and found headlight, turn signals, windshield adjust and "??" out of action. Fuel gauge, clock and rear tail/brake light OK.

I am not seeing any fuse(s) that would affect those functions vs. the excellent fuse/relay diagram that came with the bike.

Any ideas *greatly* appreciated!

Thanks, Doug

dirtrider
Hi,

Just coming home from a ride and found headlight, turn signals, windshield adjust and "??" out of action. Fuel gauge, clock and rear tail/brake light OK.

I am not seeing any fuse(s) that would affect those functions vs. the excellent fuse/relay diagram that came with the bike.

Any ideas *greatly* appreciated!

Thanks, Doug

Morning Doug

Might be a failed load relief relay, or the low side circuit of the load relief relay open, or a basic 12v supply into that circuit has an open, or a 12v issue at another place ????

If you can do some tests & pin down EXACTLY what does or doesn't have 12v to their fuses then we can go from there.

So use a 12v test light or DC voltmeter then first with the ignition switch in the (off) then with it in then (on) position (key in the off/then/on position) measure for 12 volts at each fuse starting from fuse #1 (L/H side of fuse box).

Make up a list of fuse # then measure voltage at each fuse with key turned off then go back through & measure each fuse with key turned on (if your fuses don't have little test depressions on them then you might have to remove each fuse & test the socket contact. (if a fuse is missing count it but note that it is missing).

___________________ key-off __________________ key-on

#1)-

#2 )-

#3 )-

#4 )-

#5)-

#6)-

#7)-

#8)-

#9)-

#10)-

Once we know exactly what is powered & what isn't then we can root it back to the common source of failure.

• 3 years later...

Hi folks.  Did this one ever get resolved?  I am new to the forum as i have run out of mental capacity in solving this issue myself.

My situation... completely rebuilt the bike (2003 1150RT), all is weel so far, however power has failed to a select list of items.  According to the wiring diagram, it appears that everything impacted is fed via the load relief relay.

Q1 - Should the load relief relay be a 'normally open / power to close circuit' type relay?  I would have thought the relay would need to be normally closed, and only opened (killing the powered items beyond the relay) upon ignition.

One thing i suspect is not right... I have a grounded wire which i don't think should be.

Green/blue cable from load relief relay to left multi-switch has a closed circuit to ground... even with the multifunction switch unplugged from connector behind the speedo.

Things working properly (so far)... brake light, windscreen motor, dashboard warning lights, park lights (only when key in "P")

Things not working when they should... headlight, tail light, indicators, horn,  speedo/tacho backlights.

I havent got to test anything else yet (motor still to be primed and run-in).

Any thoughts?  Should i post this elsewhere?

2 minutes ago, EdB said:

Any thoughts?  Should i post this elsewhere?

'Welcome to the forum.

Yes, you should start your own thread as it helps you with your issue on your specific bike.

Shortly after you post your thread, Dirt Rider will be along to give some advice.  

Start with the basics, like wiring connections and any damage to wire insulation.   If you did something to the bike, it would make sense to go back and start  looking there.   

See you on the new thread.