IGNORED

Which RT?

Ewell D.

I have replaced my 1000cc adventure bike with a single cylinder Husky and am looking to buy a used R1200 RT.

I would like to tap your collective wisdom on whether I should focus more on the new Wethead over the Camhead.

My last boxer was an R1100 RSL so either would be a big difference. Just wondering the pros and cons.

Ewell

Medic Mike

Ewell:

I have not had the opportunity to ride on a Wethead yet. Mainly because I am fearful that I will bring one home. From what I have gleaned from my fellow riders, the Wethead is a phenomenal machine. It is lighter, quicker and sports a lot of great features. I have personally owned a 2004 RT (Oilhead), 2006 (Hexhead) and a 2011, my current ride is a Camhead. Of those three the Camhead, for me, has been the better machine. The lighter weight of the Camhead from the Servo ABS brakes was astonishing to me. The addition if Traction Control (ASC) added more safety, and for me, a greater piece of mind while on the road. The Wethead is the newest tech, while the Camhead has been out for 5-7 years. You can find some great and well featured used Camheads very reasonably. I will let the Wethead group chime in on their machines. Right now, for me, I am extremely happy with my Camhead and do not plan on upgrading for some time.

Glad to see you are coming back to the Boxer side.

Mike

Thanks for your feedback Mike. I have not quit browsing this forum since I sold my RSL. It is the best I have ever ran onto and a big part of the reason I want back on a BMW.

My riding partner has offered me a very fair price for a 2008 Concours which I have spent a few days riding last summer. Quite a bike but I can't help but think I would prefer an RT. My friend bought a K1600 GTL to replace the Concours and has said he probably should have gotten an RT. He is a very spirited rider and says it has taken him some time to gain confidence laying the bulk of the 1600 into corners like he is used to. He does say it is him not the bike and that the bike stays very planted.

You are right, there are some nice low mileage camheads available for reasonable prices. I just don't want to end up wishing I had gone ahead and spent a third more or so to get onto a Wethead.

Ewell

I just bought my Camhead. I could have bought, and was leaning towards buying, a new or used Wethead but chose the '13 because it's lighter and doesn't have all the added complexity of the dual radiators, water pumps, and other claptrap to fail later. And, now don't flame as I freely admit I have no hard data to warrant this irrational fear mind you, the alternator is about a $2700 item to replace because you have to drop the motor and split the engine/transmission cases to get to it (and in my opinion Gremlins live in those electron factories). The Wethead has all the cool gizmos and is a fine motorcycle, but I got 90% of that for less than half the price. I'm happy with it.

I've owned 2 each 2013 RT's and a 2014 as well. No question (to me), the 2014 is the smoothest running BMW motorcycle I've ever ridden. A very sweet machine...

That being said, for me it just wasn't as comfortable as the Camhead. At 6',1" it felt smallish; the seat is lower, the riding position a tiny bit more forward and overall, less friendly to work on. Extended the foot pegs, raised the handle bars, bought a higher seat & still felt "off". Sold the bike & purchased a 2013 90th. Edition Anniversary Edition. Yup, still vibrates, feels "heavier" then the Wethead and not as responsive either. But boy oh boy did I love that bike!

Obviously, all subjective comments. Not looking to be right or wrong, only presenting my opinion(s).

After a bad accident 18 months ago it's taken me a lot of time to ease back and even be able to ride again. Repurchased my original '05 RT from the guy who bought it because, wait for it: he's updating to a 2017 Wethead! :)

So I'm spending a lot of time working on it; changing tires, adding a TPMS, adjusting valves etc., all in an effort to make sure I'm up to doing so. Kinda getting back into it. Small, couple 1-2 hour rides, one all day jaunt & a planned 2 night run up to Arkansas & back.

If that works I'm hoping to buy another low mileage 2013 BMW. Still think it's the best air-cooled BMW ever produced.

Whatever you do, you won't be wrong. Enjoy.

I've recently upgraded from an R1100RT to a R1200RT camhead 2010 . I was looking for a good second hand wethead , but theyare still holding big value in Oz .

The camhead is a huge improvement over the oilhead . But apart from missing some of the new gizmos, the camhead is a great machine. The gizmo that are missing I think I'd stop playing with very soon as the novelty wore off .

Get the ASC and cruise on the SE . I can't justify the nearly double outlay for the wethead ( in Oz ) .

As others have mentioned, the extra maintenance side of water cooling put me off a bit too .

profbodryak

Hi Ewell! I posted my thoughts about RT's I have owned: http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1005489&page=1

I can just say having owned three generations prior to the Wethead, I say a Wethead. Completely agree on the cost as they are still retaining value. I did elect to go for equipment warranty a few months after buying a Wethead (used) when the factory warranty was running out. For a piece of mind and over $400 in repairs covered already. And they will likely replace my oil sensor during an 18000 mile service in two weeks.

New RT's with TFT displays and VVT have leaked into the media not too long ago. Depending on the budget, this might be something to consider while owning a camhead for the time being (I never had one but can't imagine it being that much different from a hexhead). But like I said in my post in another thread, Wethead, while expensive, is the best bike I've ever owned.

Best of luck in finding your next bike!

Just $0.02...

I agree the Wethead family bikes are great with many features and attributes. I love my '14.

Having said that there are many attributes of earlier models that ought to be considered... chief among them is that all bikes are just bikes and tools for achieving your objectives.

In other words- I suggest starting your quest by thinking about what you want in a bike.

Some guys want a blazing fast sport ride, some guys want a comfortable touring bike, some love to wrench on their hardware some don't have tools, time, space and going to the dealers is good for them. etc.

Saying it plainly figure you what you want and expect from the "hobby" before you go off spending money on the wrong tool.

Look within Grasshopper....

I thought my 1999 RT was the most attractive bike made, and it was a great improvement over the earlier air heads I had had. But it had some issues. It surged at some engine/road speeds, removing and replacing the fairing was a pain made worse by the clips that tended to not work right after a few times, it had a mild pull to the right (IIRC) that required a very slight constant pressure on the bars to correct. My 2015 wet head has been a marvelous machine. I gave up on the RT version partly to reduce weight, and partly because I am at a stage in life where simplicity appeals more. The increased power is great for passing. It handles better in my non-racer opinion, it tracks absolutely true, I can take my hands off the bars forever on a straight road and even negotiate gentle corners without touching the bars. The cruise control is a big improvement over the Throttlemeister throttle lock I added to the oil head. Keyless ignition and steering head lock are a great convenience. YMMV but I am extremely satisfied with the current incarnation of the boxer.

Oldironken

I went from an '04 Oil head to a "used" '16 wet head. ( i have no experience with the hex or cam heads)

All i can say is the wet head has exceeded all expectations. I found mine at the dealers, it was 18 months old with 3,800 miles on it and warranty left until June of 19. The price was a huge discount from a new machine but well worth it for my goals.

This site never disappoints! I appreciate your replies more than you might realize as I am probably over analyzing this decision. I really enjoyed owning my R1100RSL and did all my own maintenance as, to me, that is part of the fun of motorcycle ownership. I only let it go because adventure riding appealed to me and I found I much preferred a more upright riding position.

I picked up a low mileage Aprilia Caponord ETV 1000 and found while riding off-road that whereas my two riding budding were having fun on their single cylinder dualsports I was merely trying to survive keeping up on a 500 lb. plus bike. When I rode the same routes on my Husky I found I was having a blast over ground that would have been an ordeal on the big adventure bike. I haven't looked back after doing the Idaho BDR and the Macgruder Corridor, etc.. Decided it is time to let the big adventure bike go and get a more comfortable road bike.

The comments about potential maintenance costs of the Wethead caught my ear. I have already decided I would only own one if I could place an extended warranty on it. I hand't thought of complexity of maintenance and I wouldn't want to be totally dependent upon the dealership. Also, as I said before, I enjoy tinkering/maintaining my bikes almost as much as riding them. I guess than leads me to the Camhead. From what I've been seeing a low mileage Camhead can be had for 2/3 the cost of a similar Wethead. Money wise I could rationalize my way into purchasing either one as at 67 years young this is probably the last road bike I will buy. If money was the only issue I would just buy my friends Concours which I can get for half the cost of a Camhead. The Concours just doesn't stir the lust that the BMW's do though.

Stay tuned

Ewell

John in VA

I've owned 5 RTs: airhead, oilhead, hexhead, camhead, and wethead. Each generation was an overall improvement on the previous (with the glaring exception of the ridiculous servo brakes on the hexhead).

My long-gone 2000RT oilhead remains my emotional favorite because of its pure beauty, but my '16 wethead is the fastest, smoothest, most comfortable RT ever, with the '13 camhead a close second. All previous RTs needed aftermarket shock upgrades but the wethead suspension is pretty dang good, although not as good as Ohlins.

One thing is certain -- the bikes are getting more complex and major repairs are absurdly expensive, mainly due to astronomical parts costs. After my '06 hexhead's dead-brakes and leaking case seals disasters, I'll never own a BMW without an active warranty or service contract of some kind, but that's just me (and I guess that's good for new BMW sales).

realshelby

The comments about potential maintenance costs of the Wethead caught my ear. I have already decided I would only own one if I could place an extended warranty on it. I hand't thought of complexity of maintenance and I wouldn't want to be totally dependent upon the dealership. Also, as I said before, I enjoy tinkering/maintaining my bikes almost as much as riding them. I guess than leads me to the Camhead. From what I've been seeing a low mileage Camhead can be had for 2/3 the cost of a similar Wethead. Money wise I could rationalize my way into purchasing either one as at 67 years young this is probably the last road bike I will buy. If money was the only issue I would just buy my friends Concours which I can get for half the cost of a Camhead. The Concours just doesn't stir the lust that the BMW's do though.

Ewell

Comments? Opinions? Complexity of maintenance? Well, I have not owned a Camhead but I would not hesitate to own one if the budget made it what was the right fit. I have seen nothing to indicate maintenance is more involved on the Wethead. In fact it is MUCH easier than my Oilhead. But the "complexity" description I don't get. Unless that is referring to replacing the alternator like was mentioned earlier. Not that I have heard of anyone needing to do that. I don't doubt it has happened. I have heard of quite a few alternator belt problems over the years for previous generations. There is no belt on the Wethead. Yes, removing the engine would be a major job IF one had to replace the alternator. Oh, did I mention the clutch replacement, or the spline lube that many owners have done on Oilhead, Hexhead, Camheads? Yeah, that is just about as complicated as a Wethead alternator. Splitting the bike apart, and I had to do that to my Oilhead. So far my Wethead has restored my faith that BMW might have gotten away from some of the problems they were plagued with in the past few generations. And it is not just my bike that is holding up that well........

Terry

Thanks for adding your opinion. If maintenance on the Wethead is easier that your Oilhead, which is what my RSL was, I am interested again. Actually, as I said earlier I keep over analyzing this. I am not sure I want to own either the Camhead or the Wethead without warranty coverage. Just a lot of electronics that could get problematic. That determination may demand that I pick up a Wethead still under warranty that I can obtain extended coverage on. I have spotted a couple of nice ones out there.

Ewell

You will often hear on this site is the best bike to own is the one I am riding...I am approaching 20K on my 14 Wet RT. So far....nothing. I have had all the required services done at the dealer just because I don't have all the time I want to ride let alone wrench. I changed my battery a couple of weeks ago not because of failure, just because at 4+ years in the heat here in Houston I didn't want to take a chance on getting stranded. My wet does have a little less legroom than my oil head, but I trade that willingly for simple brakes that I can bleed and replace the fluid in 30 minutes or less and for a significantly lower center of gravity. If you are 5'9" or taller it is likely you can flat foot on the standard seat.The water cooling is very helpful in the heat. There is so much improvement on the wet versus prior vinatages it would be difficult for me to remember them all. The wet is considerably faster than all prior 1200's.

After owning a wet, would I buy a cam...yes. Would I buy an oil..nope been there done that. Would I buy a wet...Yes. Buy the best bike you can afford....but my best advice is go ride a cam and a wet for 30 minutes in stop and go and another on the freeway. Pick the one you like....but don't get spooked by wet issues. If you search this forum, you will find very few in comparison to other vintages and with the bike being out now 4-5 years that's pretty good. By the way...no reports of final drives at all...

I've owned air, oil, and water and I the water is my favorite by an order of magnitude...and not just because it is the one I ride :)

John in VA

Late-model wethead with extended coverage could give you a fine bike and years of peace of mind, with big savings over a new one. And if you sell the bike later some plans (like Zurich) give you a pro-rata premium refund or you can transfer coverage to a new owner as a sales benefit, your choice.

Dennis Andress

I haven't bought many new bikes, but I have learned to never leave horsepower on the dealer's floor.

ZDSC0092-XL.jpg

OK rather than repeat what everyone said I would concur with all of what's written about the camp head and the wet head. I owned a 2006 R1200 RT that I truly loved and after 10 years swapped it for a 2016 wet head. The wet head is truly an amazing bike but I can't fault anybody for buying a Camhead RT as they are truly built like tanks. To your point Everett when I bought my 2016 RT I added a five year warranty extension which gave me a total of eight years coverage so I am good till 2024. Either bike camp at or wet head would be a great choice.

Rob Nowell

I went from a 2000 Oilhead RT to a 2016 Wethead RT, and I continue to be amazed, a year later, at how COMPLETELY DIFFERENT the bikes are. This new bike is amazing. Every time I finish a ride of even just 50-75 miles, I dismount, look at her, and say to myself, "God DAMN, I love this bike!"

Tourmaster

I have ridden a little over 175 k, (its nothing compared to some folks on this forum) and the only time I was left stranded, sort of, was when the thermostat housing failed on my Mean Streak. A felt marker case (tube) and some epoxy was a temporary repair that got me going the next morning.

When shopping for a replacement 6 years ago my short list of needs was air-cooled, long legs, hard bags and handling...the R1200RT ticked all the boxes. The ABS, ESA, cruise control and performance were bonuses!

A couple of years later the R1150RT gave me a chance to experience an earlier generation with which to explore Europe. My needs list hasn't changed, though I do wish it had cruise.

Today, I still don't feel any urge to go try a Wethead, for me the Camhead is perfect enough. YMMV

profbodryak

BMW's get better over years, I think it is a well-known fact. To Skywagon's point - test drive both for 30 minutes to see what fits you better. Over years I have convinced several people to convert to BMW cars/bikes and to date they stick with BMW's. Whatever you end up getting will be a great choice but (to repeat myself) get a wethead :)

• 1 month later...

Final Answer!

I just couldn't arouse a desire for the Concours and kept balking at spending the money required for a wethead. Today I purchased a babied 2005 R1200RT with less than 20,000 miles on it from man who has reluctantly decided he is too old to continue riding. It was bitter sweet for him but I gave him several days to make sure he wanted to part with it. I have read up on the brakes and the fuel strip issues so have an idea what I may be in for. All I can say is it is a treat to be back on a BMW. I took the long (2 hour) way back home from buying the bike and am very pleased. It would run circles around my 1996 R1100RSL while being much more comfortable. I am afraid I will need to get the Valentine 1 out of the closet and mounted before I get a performance award. This bike may be my final answer and if I find it is not I should be able to get my money out of it to apply toward a camhead or wethead.

Thanks to those of you who shared your thoughts with me. They were very helpful.

Ewell

Looks like you got lucky...

I was on an '05 for many years so If there are any questions- drop me a PM or just post here- we will see it...

p.s. there were no fundamental issues with the bike that you have not noted... The FPC thing may be the only one and it is pretty small.

I do feel lucky! I have all the service receipts from when purchased new. It has had all recalls taken care of and recent 24k service. Now I am trying to get up the nerve to try the zap fix for the fuel strip. If that doesn't work it shouldn't be much of an inconvenience as my endurance at this point in my life is controlled by my bladder and not the fuel tank.

I have some input. I went from a Harley to an RT. A riding buddy recommended to get at least a 2010. Said they made a noticeable change from earlier models. So, what did I do? I bought a used 2009. Rode it for 2 years, got tired of the flat spots in the power band, and I got the new bike itch anyway. I bought a 'last year' 2016 and saved $3,000 off list. What a difference. My friend has a 2010, and I thought he would buy a wet head after riding mine. So we traded bikes for an hour or so. While I was riding his bike I was thinking 'I could ride this thing'. My 2016 was better, but his 2010 was a very acceptable ride. My new 2016 just blew the 2009 away. So, given budget constraints, or how much you ride, whatever, there you go.