IGNORED

Conspicuous LED Additions

Rob Nowell

Rob Nowell

Hi, everyone. I would appreciate your input on the idea of adding LEDs to my '16 RT. I want to be as safe as I possibly can, without looking like a rolling Christmas tree. Although I do have a pair of small Denalis mounted near my front wheel, I really want something for the rear. I see SKENE products which appear to have potential; they have yellow LEDs for both front AND back, serving as both turn signals and brake light. My top case is not wired, and I only use it on summer tours, anyway.

I initially had the Skene brakelights. But I thought the Photon Blasters (PBs) were a little to finicky with respect to viewing angle - just a little off-axis and their intensity went WAY down. So I got a Whelan LIN3 (which has better horizontal off-axis performance than a TIR3), mounted it horizontally over my license plate and hooked it up to the Skene controller.

The three LEDs of the LIN3 are about as bright on-axis as the 2 X 16 LEDs of the PBs. I suppose I could add a second one but I feel it's a tradeoff between being seen from further away while vs. blinding people sitting behind me while stopped at a light.

I considered the Skene brake/turn combo but IIRC the turn signal isn't a separate channel, it just flashes one of the same PBs it uses for brakes. My bike (and probably yours too) has amber turn signals and I just didn't figure amber OEM and red Skene/PB turn signals together made sense. I have (amber) LED "bulbs" from Dynamic Motorrad all around and they are brighter than the stock bulbs. Ideally I'd have 1 amber LIN3 on each side in back for turn signals and 2 red ones for brake lights. The front are kind of washed out buy the headlights and my Denalis so wouldn't be as much of an improvement as in the rear.

I have both sets of Skene products. Photon blasters out front. These are just yellow and not connected to the turn signals. Getting to the TS wires didn't look like fun, so I opted for the standard mode there.

Out back, I have the P3's in red and have them set to operate as modulating brake lights. I did not put turns on here either as I also tapped into my rear trunk light to convert it to a running and brake light.

I think they make the bike very visible. I also have the Clearwater Darla's mounted on my Illium crash bars. So those add a lot as well.

moshe_levy

You want something for the rear? There are 3 good choices:

1) Clearwater Billie

2) Admore Light Bar

3) Skene

I've reviewed all 3. All 3 are great - just get the one you like the style of most.

-MKL

I just got a 2018 RT and Clearwater is having a 15% off sale on Darla Universal LED Light Kit among other things. Is this the Darla kit to which you are referring? Are their other variants of the Darla's?

Clearwater Billie for the rear and a pair of LED fronts from AdvMonster for the front. Both controlled by HEX EZ CAN

Yes,several versions available,lights are same,just different mounts.

I have the fork mount set on my GS Adventure,but also have the mounts to put the Darla's in place of the factory fog lights.

Recommend the fork mount set for here in the west,as the lights will steer with you to see around those forested or sage brush lined corners.

JR356

• 2 weeks later...

When I bought my RT in February I had the dealer install a set of Darlas on the stock driving light mounts (whole kit came from Clearwater) and used the Billy Jr for the brake flasher. All of this is wonderful and gives me exactly what I wanted and need. Even during the day the Darlas are more than bright enough and I've got them turned down to 30-40%. I have the Billy Jr set to flash at .2g of deceleration without the need to apply the brake; so when I'm riding using aggressive engine braking the Billy light still warn those behind me I'm slowing down. What I've found most impressive is the Darlas I now have set to strobe at full intensity when I push the horn button. I have made a couple texting drivers drop their phones when they come across the yellow line at me, and one lady had to change her Depends when she made an improper lane change right into me. Best $$ I've ever spend on a farkle.