IGNORED

Grip heater wire gauge?

w2ge

I first noticed left side grip wasn't working.. GS911 did show code for grip heater fault. I decided to use razor blade to remove grip, going on the assumption when one side isn't working that the grip heater wire is open (I use fishing rod shrink wrap over my grips as a nicer “grippier” finish and to increase diameter). I was a bit too enthusiastic with the razor blade and as I've been peeling away the grip I realized I sliced through the heater wire every “loop”... :eek:

Anywho, I'm assuming it's nichrome wire and I want to re-wrap the entire heater on that side... I can order nichrome on fleabay by gauge and length. 24-32 gauge.. even numbers.

Anybody have an idea of true gauge? Currently it's all back together so I can't get a digital caliper or micro on the wire to get size measurement; I can't imagine it would make much difference... if no answers I'll go with 24 gauge. Resistance can't be much different between 24-26-28 in such a short wire wrap?

TIA

Danny caddyshack Noonan

There are a couple posts on advrider.com where people made their own heated items. Maybe grips too. In either Equipment or Garage forums. I seem to recall the gauge of wire being discussed.

Plan B might be to just order a heated grip kit, the little panels, and overwrap the old with the new after stripping back to the heaters. Or, just strip everything back to find the wires and replace with the kit. You might want to check for no Fault code before going too far to make sure the resistance is within the allowable....whatever that might be.

• 2 weeks later...

There are not "wire gauges" in the metric system.

Wire sizes are instead identified by the measurement of the wire diameter in millimeters.

Didn't know that but was able to convert mil to gauge... I used 28 gauge btw and it was just about right on the money. Rewrapped the complete heater on the grip, but the issue was actually the wires as they leave the left hand control out to the grip. The ground lead was severed... me thinks the dealer did this when they swapped both grip controllers as per the service bulletin.. ;-/

Anywho, I was able to strip a tiny portion, soldered on a suitable small stranded wire with a micro crimp on the end (as nichrome doesn't readily take solder) and used shrink wrap. All good. I have pics if someone is interested in the process.