IGNORED

Requirement to test ride?

Colorado Jeff

Colorado Jeff

Hi Everyone:

Looking for opinions on setting requirements for a potential buyer to test ride my '97 R11RT.

I often see ads demanding cash at the full asking price to be held while the potential buyer test rides the motorcycle. While I can understand that, I do see that as a bit of a hassle for the buyer to get all that cash together. I thought about asking for some other kind of "deposit" such as leaving their other vehicle and keys behind or a child or other relative.

What have you folks done? What do you think is a best practice?

Thanks,

Jeff

dirtrider
Hi Everyone:

Looking for opinions on setting requirements for a potential buyer to test ride my '97 R11RT.

I often see ads demanding cash at the full asking price to be held while the potential buyer test rides the motorcycle. While I can understand that, I do see that as a bit of a hassle for the buyer to get all that cash together. I thought about asking for some other kind of "deposit" such as leaving their other vehicle and keys behind or a child or other relative.

What have you folks done? What do you think is a best practice?

Thanks,

Jeff

Evening Jeff

I have sold a number of motorcycles over the years & have never asked for any money to hold or any form of ransom.

I do judge the person showing up & & if they handle themselves like a seasoned & experienced rider then I let them ride but I usually take one of my other bikes & ride along with them. This helps as I know the best riding roads in my area & I will often lead so they can pay attention to the bike for sale & not have to be a navigator. Over the years I have a refused a couple of tire kickers & refused a couple of obviously unqualified riders.

About the only thing I do insist on is that the rider has a valid drivers license with a motorcycle endorsement then I toss it in my scanner & make a copy of the license before allowing the test ride.

Been both a seller and a buyer many times.

I go with my gut. Talking to the buyer prior to showing up. Getting a feel for their experience. Motorcycle endorsement? etc.

If I can not test ride, I don't buy, but that's just me. YMMV

The old "Gut Feeling" is one of the best indicators. You have insurance, you might check that he has insurance as well. Most of the people interested in buying these bikes are just like you, but, "Trust, but verify." Ask to hold his auto insurance card, if your state has those. I count it a plus if they show up on a bike or with obviously used riding gear.

Colorado Jeff

I do judge the person showing up & & if they handle themselves like a seasoned & experienced rider then I let them ride but I usually take one of my other bikes & ride along with them. This helps as I know the best riding roads in my area & I will often lead so they can pay attention to the bike for sale & not have to be a navigator. Over the years I have a refused a couple of tire kickers & refused a couple of obviously unqualified riders.

About the only thing I do insist on is that the rider has a valid drivers license with a motorcycle endorsement then I toss it in my scanner & make a copy of the license before allowing the test ride.

Thanks DR, done the same over the years, but sometimes it feels like a new world.

I go with my gut. Talking to the buyer prior to showing up. Getting a feel for their experience. Motorcycle endorsement? etc.

If I can not test ride, I don't buy, but that's just me. YMMV

Agree completely, thanks Bud!

The old "Gut Feeling" is one of the best indicators. You have insurance, you might check that he has insurance as well. Most of the people interested in buying these bikes are just like you, but, "Trust, but verify." Ask to hold his auto insurance card, if your state has those. I count it a plus if they show up on a bike or with obviously used riding gear.

Good advice Lowndes, thanks!

In the Harley world...no test rides.

I went with a friend to check out a Harley he was thinking of buying. He took it for a test ride, then I took it for a test ride. I got lost and took awhile to get back to the house. Of course, they had one of us standing there while the other was riding so that was some guarantee we would come back.

Lone_RT_rider

Maybe when a private owner is selling, but not at the dealers anymore. They have learned from BMW that it sells bikes. My Wife and I test road a brand new Ultra Limited and a Road Glide Ultra last summer.

szurszewski

I agree with the go with your gut, but as to your worry they getting cash together would be a hassle...well,

If they aren't ready to get the cash together then they aren't ready to buy and shouldn't be test riding your bike. If they are still window shopping they can do that a dealer. Besides, for an old RT were only taking about a couple/few thousand. If it were an near new/$10,000+ bike that was going to be paid for by some other means (bank check or wire transfer or something) other arrangements might make more sense.

As for what Bud said, I have never actually ridden a bike before buying it with the exception of a Vespa I bought for my wife. Various reasons over the years, but so far I've gone with my gut regarding the seller and it's worked out fine.

Edited by szurszewski

I bought 2 bikes recently, one for me and another for my brother. Both ads said you can test ride if you have cash in hand. I arrived in a car for both, stated that I had 30 years of riding experience, had helmet and jacket. My balding head probably helped as well. The owner never bothered with the cash in both cases. I did buy both bikes as well.

Just establish credibility over text messages. If the owner is being tough on text messages, I don't bother going.

Antimatter

I would think some sort of release, along with a phone picture of their driver's license and of them might work. And some pictures of the motorcycle before it leaves on the test ride, just so both parties can agree on the bike's condition if something happens.

You know, one of those motorcycle rental outfits like Twisted Road might be a good way to go. Agree to refund the rental cost of the user buys the bike. That way you'd be covered by a third party, and they would review the buyer before they went on the test ride.

Edited by Antimatter

As a seller, ask yourself, what's going to happen if the guy drops your bike? That is why the 'cash in hand" thing is popular. My understanding would be that if the bike is dropped on the test ride, the sale is final. Last bike I bought (the R11R) was owned by a newly retired guy, slightly older than me. He had a few bikes. I didn't ask about test ride until I was there in person and knew I was very interested in the bike. At that point, I asked him "What are your thoughts about a test ride?" I had already been upfront with him about my experience, and that I hadn't slung a leg over a road bike this millennium. I told him I wouldn't drop it, but if I did, I'd buy it. I know those were just words, but I meant it. I had brought my gear and had it in the car, and showed him my license with endorsement. I had a few hundred cash, that I gave him as a deposit when we made the deal (after the ride).... I asked him how he wanted the rest of payment and he suggested a certified cheque for the rest, which I gave him the next day. .

I think the big difference with selling a bike vs a car is that it is VERY possible for a newbie to dump a bike and thereby drop its value. There is no difference with regards to stealing it (which I don't think would happen). I ask to see a valid driver's license, and take a picture of it in front of the person... therefore, they know that I know who they are, and I have something to ID them if needed.

I sold my /5 a few years ago and the potential buyer was older, had not ridden in years. I offered to ride him through the neighborhood, and it worked out well. Even better was that he trailered the bike home, realizing that he needed to take the Beginner MSF course to be safe. :)

For me, I would offer to ride them, never let them take it themselves. :)

regards to stealing it (which I don't think would happen).

On FaceBook about a week ago the Collierville Police Department posted pictures of a man wanted for the theft of two motorcycles in the town in less than a week. His M.O.? He shows up to buy a bike and never comes back from the test ride. They didn't explain how he arrived to the 'test rides' or how they got his picture but, regardless, prior to this I would have agreed with you about the unlikeliness of a theft. It does happen.

Motorcycle Thief

If I didn't know them, they got a ride.

Behind me.

Shoiws that everything works, functions safely, etc.

Then, if they want to ride, short contract, pics of license etc.

In contract it says rider responsible for any and all damages, or purchase bike.

If they don't want to, no problem, have a nice day.

Gut instinct is great.

Trust it.

But, in today's world don't put uyourself in a he said she said situation, IMO.

Best wishes.

Maybe when a private owner is selling, but not at the dealers anymore. They have learned from BMW that it sells bikes. My Wife and I test road a brand new Ultra Limited and a Road Glide Ultra last summer.

Yep ! Just got back from Milwaukee the center of the universe fir Harley and they are actually pushing demo rides!

In the latest edition of OTL the BMWRA magazine they interviewed 2 women working in sales at a BMW dealer in Michigan. They commented that demo rides sell bikes!

I know Harley dealers have been allowing test rides. I'm talking about private individual sellers.

I know a lot of guys selling Harleys have noted “no test rides” in ads but I would not buy a bike I can't test ride. And with the plethora of used Hogs on the market sellers may begin to change their thinking.

I'm no expert. Seems clear to me that I wouldn't buy a bike without a test ride, period. I dunno about handing over a big sack with the full asking price, just to go for a 15 minute ride. That really sounds to me like you just bought a bike (without fully realizing it, or a test ride either!). Imagine coming back and the guy hands you a bill of sale. Good luck getting your cash back! I could see a deposit of $1000 or so, and some kind of brief test ride contract, and a photo of the driver's license. You probably should agree on a return time at least informally. Some departure photos/video might prove useful if things go bad. Maybe catch the potential buyer in one of the photos with the bike.

I used to rent rooms to strangers back in my college days. It always worked out, but OTOH, I did go with my gut and had to decline a few people that showed up. You can tell a lot about a person by their appearance and how they carry themselves. Ask about their riding experience in terms of years, miles and bikes they've had. I'd feel better if they showed up on a bike, or in a car with a friend (who's available to drive the car home). But that same take-it-home-now buyer might also show up in a cab.

Of course most of us are model citizens, but there are horror stories about test rides gone bad. Dropped, scratched, damage of some sort. I read somewhere once, that a guy went out for a test ride, returned on foot some time later. Said "the motor blew up, and it's up the street. I don't want to buy it." That has to be the worst and weirdest story. Clearly he was abusing it.

Test rides do sell bikes and I would never even show up if the owner wanted me to give him all cash before the test ride.

I did test ride an 04 R1150R recently and now it's in my Garage.

• 1 month later...
Colorado Jeff

Hi All, just wanted to follow-up on my post regarding test rides.

I had my '97 RT on Craigslist for a little more than a month with no serious offers (1 offer for 1/2 price, 1 offer to exchange a massage chair, even though "no trades" in the ad & 1 question to which they did not respond), but finally sold it last week. My concerns regarding test ride was not warranted. He did not ride it, didn't even listen to it run. Heck, he only asked 1 question (6 gears, right?). He hardly even took a serious look at the bike, just kind of wandered around it, listen to me talk about it, then made me an offer. He didn't even ride it home, I rode it to his house and left it.

Not how I buy bikes, but it works for him - and for me!

I had my '97 RT on Craigslist for a little more than a month with no serious offers (1 offer for 1/2 price, 1 offer to exchange a massage chair, even though "no trades" in the ad & 1 question to which they did not respond), but finally sold it last week. My concerns regarding test ride was not warranted. He did not ride it, didn't even listen to it run. Heck, he only asked 1 question (6 gears, right?). He hardly even took a serious look at the bike, just kind of wandered around it, listen to me talk about it, then made me an offer. He didn't even ride it home, I rode it to his house and left it.

Congrats on the stress free sale! Now tell us how you like the new 2015 RT compared to the 1997. My first BMW was a 1997 RT.

I like that. I sold a lawn tractor once and the guy shows up with a checklist, yes, a checklist with 20 different inspection points and a dozen questions to ask me. It was absurd. He did buy though so it was worth the hassle of the Great Inspection and Interrogation. Haha

Colorado Jeff
Now tell us how you like the new 2015 RT compared to the 1997. My first BMW was a 1997 RT.

I've got about 4k miles on my '15 now. It is really, REALLY amazing! I love the horsepower, the "not so finicky" transmission, the ability to change modes and suspension on the fly, electronic cruise control, speed shift, wonder wheel, fly by wire, built in GPS, the sport bike feel, ... really love the entire thing!

I am hoping to love this bike for a long time, or until the next one comes along.

Now tell us how you like the new 2015 RT compared to the 1997. My first BMW was a 1997 RT.

I've got about 4k miles on my '15 now. It is really, REALLY amazing! I love the horsepower, the "not so finicky" transmission, the ability to change modes and suspension on the fly, electronic cruise control, speed shift, wonder wheel, fly by wire, built in GPS, the sport bike feel, ... really love the entire thing!

I am hoping to love this bike for a long time, or until the next one comes along.

That is great! I love my 2016 equally as much but it is so neat to hear when a rider upgrades and is happy!

Hope you have many miles of smiles !!

Fascinating. I'm late replying to this thread but nevertheless have some input. When it comes to selling a bike on your own so much of the "dance" involves gut feel. We've all dealt with people who from the moment we met them we KNEW they were full of s**t. That said, I've purchased five bikes from out of state sellers; two from dealerships and three from private sellers. Two of those situations involved on site inspections from BMW related folks, one is a member of this web site. The only one's that turned out either dubious or downright bad involved inspections from BMW folk whom I thought had a decent head on their shoulders and not firmly implanted in their posterior.

Locally, I once visited a seller about buying his Ducati. He wanted cash in hand before I could test ride the bike. I showed up in a nice vehicle and showed proof of my motorcycle experience and during our discussion exhibited enough knowledge about the model to convey the notion I was a serious buyer. The clown, er, seller, then looked at my wrist watch and asked for it in exchange for a test ride ride. Well, that did it. I politely declined and left.

I ended up buying the same model bike from Alabama (that's another story) and enjoyed it for many years. When it came time to sell it the same seller from the experience above showed up to inspect the bike. He proceeded to run it down in every conceivable way to the extent that I was about to punch his lights out. I reminded him of my visit to his home several years earlier but he didn't remember. I did and that's when I ushered him to the curb.

The message I'm trying to send is that some people are serious and know what they want. Others fall between the parameters of being jerks and idiots. Follow your gut, know your stuff, be polite but firm.

Happy to hear the new bike is working out for you.