IGNORED

R1100R clutch cable adjustment Q

BF204

Howdy,

The clutch engagement point had changed a bit, so I thought I should do the clutch cable adjustment... It was straightforward to do, and I learned a couple things.... 1) the P.O. didn't follow the manual and must've gone just by feel. The knurled adjuster at the bar was turned in quite a lot (~5mm more than it should be), with the difference was made up at the adjuster at the clutch. 2) after doing it to spec (12 mm / 7 mm clearance at the bar), I still have adjustment room at the clutch end, so that tells me there must be some life left on the clutch plate.. :)

Question is: What is the knurled adjustment at the handlebar supposed to used for, if by factory specs it seems it should be set to 12 mm, with the adjustment made at the clutch end? My guess is that after setting to spec, that one could use the bar adjustment to tweak the engagement point to their personal preference (?) or otherwise make a quick adjustment without having to mess around with the locknut etc at the clutch end (?). Or maybe more slack is needed when doing a cable replacement (?)...

Just curious what that adjustment point is there for.

Thx...

(Go Jets Go)

Howdy,

The clutch engagement point had changed a bit, so I thought I should do the clutch cable adjustment... It was straightforward to do, and I learned a couple things.... 1) the P.O. didn't follow the manual and must've gone just by feel. The knurled adjuster at the bar was turned in quite a lot (~5mm more than it should be), with the difference was made up at the adjuster at the clutch. 2) after doing it to spec (12 mm / 7 mm clearance at the bar), I still have adjustment room at the clutch end, so that tells me there must be some life left on the clutch plate.. :)

Question is: What is the knurled adjustment at the handlebar supposed to used for, if by factory specs it seems it should be set to 12 mm, with the adjustment made at the clutch end? My guess is that after setting to spec, that one could use the bar adjustment to tweak the engagement point to their personal preference (?) or otherwise make a quick adjustment without having to mess around with the locknut etc at the clutch end (?). Or maybe more slack is needed when doing a cable replacement (?)...

Just curious what that adjustment point is there for.

Thx...

(Go Jets Go)

Evening BF204

The clutch adjustment is kind of 2 stage deal. You preset the knurled adjuster at the handlebar lever before adjusting at the transmission so it is centered enough to allow user (rider) adjustments as they ride between major clutch adjustments.

The secondary side of setting that handlebar first is that allows the lower adjustment at the rear of trans to maintain the best working angle between the clutch lever on rear of trans & the clutch operating push rod.

I've always tightened the locknut at the handlebar with padded pliers. Doing it by hand like a wet clutch bike , the nut always seems to creep loose. Maybe I just have a delicate grip tho.