IGNORED

Changing Lowered Shock

Woodie

So my new-to-me 2009 R1200RT came w/ a lowered (short?) shock and a custom one-piece seat. I'm a little taller (and heavier) than the PO, and I'm finding that I'm bottoming out, even w/ the adjustment tightened down significantly.

If I changed the shock out for a stock length (and gain a little height), what else do I have to change?

dirtrider
So my new-to-me 2009 R1200RT came w/ a lowered (short?) shock and a custom one-piece seat. I'm a little taller (and heavier) than the PO, and I'm finding that I'm bottoming out, even w/ the adjustment tightened down significantly.

If I changed the shock out for a stock length (and gain a little height), what else do I have to change?

Morning Woodie

That depends on what else was changed to originally lower the bike. If it has the lowered front strut then you will probably need to change that out also to keep the suspension balanced.

I presume that your bike is a non ESA bike?

Any idea on (if) it was a factory lowered bike or something that the previous owner did or had done to a stock height bike?

Correct, non-ESA (although there's some sort of electrical box under the tail that's not connected)

I'll ask the PO about the lowering. I think it was factory.

Factory lowered. So front strut + longer rear shock. Anything else need to be adjusted/changed?

The seats are a one-piece...I suspect that it's the factory low seat. Does that mean that the standard seats won't fit?

• 2 weeks later...

Woodie,

I have a 2008 R1200RT that I had lowered using Wilber shocks. I am still using the standard center stand which makes it hard to get the bike up on the center stand.

I'd be willing to swap center stands with you. I have already shortened the side stand. If interested let me know.

Thanks

Karl Brown\karl3546@yahoo.com