IGNORED

Exhaust Header removal

Qball 16

Short version of long story...

The head on one of the bolts for my center stand is stripped - thought it was torx (like everything else on the bike), and it turned out to be hex. Whoops... As it sits right now, the bolt is basically stuck half way - not tight enough to leave as is (the stand rattles around a bit), but still too tight to remove easily. The only way I can see getting enough access to the bolt (stripped head is on the INSIDE) is to drop the entire exhaust system so I can get to it from the opposite side of the bike with a bolt extractor of some sort. Worst case, I could cut a slot in the bolt head with my Dremel to get a large flat-head screwdriver on it.

Anyway, to my question - having never removed the header from the bike before, I'm looking for any advice/tips/hints so I don't screw anything else up... Anything I should be cautious/wary about? Or does it just unbolt from the heads & come off without any big issues?

This is on an '06 R1200RT.

Thanks, in advance!

Short version of long story...

The head on one of the bolts for my center stand is stripped - thought it was torx (like everything else on the bike), and it turned out to be hex. Whoops... As it sits right now, the bolt is basically stuck half way - not tight enough to leave as is (the stand rattles around a bit), but still too tight to remove easily. The only way I can see getting enough access to the bolt (stripped head is on the INSIDE) is to drop the entire exhaust system so I can get to it from the opposite side of the bike with a bolt extractor of some sort. Worst case, I could cut a slot in the bolt head with my Dremel to get a large flat-head screwdriver on it.

Anyway, to my question - having never removed the header from the bike before, I'm looking for any advice/tips/hints so I don't screw anything else up... Anything I should be cautious/wary about? Or does it just unbolt from the heads & come off without any big issues?

This is on an '06 R1200RT.

Thanks, in advance!

Morning Qball 16

Have you tried drilling through the bolt center from the outside in just in far enough to get through the outer bushing nut? Once you core the bolt in the outer bushing/nut area you might be able to put the bike's weight on the center stand then put a wrench on the outer bushing/nut flats & spin that off with the bikes weight keeping the bolt body from turning.

Or possibly drill the outer end of the bolt, then RED Loc-tite a steel rod, or torx driver, or cut off allen wrench, or ??? in the drilled hole, then when loc-tite cured hold the flats on the outer nut & turn the loc-tite'd rod to spin the bolt out (if using a rod it should pass through the hole with the bolt, if using something like a torx bit then you will then have to heat the bolt to remove the torx driver to get the bolt all the way out )

To remove the exhaust first remove the muffler, then UNPLUG both o2 sensor plugs (careful as the o2 sensor connectors break easily if the latches are not held off the tabs during the removal). Then loosen the center mount (rear or trans) enough so it can slide on the exhaust system, I usually place a block under the cat to hold the exhaust up, then slide the center mount back off the mounting pin.

Then unbolt the nuts on the cylinder heads & carefully slide the front pipe header system off the cyl head studs the slide the exhaust header system out being careful to not damage the o2 sensors.

try this. The pivot bushing is what the bolt screws into. You should be able to tap bushing so bolt head is out enough to get a vice grip on it.

Them the bushing has a 22mm flat side so you can use what ever you have to turn bushing. There is BMW blue on the bolt so a little or a lot of

heat on the bolt end you can see in the bushing will help .

My 05 RT bolts were torx but it is hard to get there.

I have a sweet set up in 1/4 drive stubby torx and a ratchet to do the job.

"You can do it, we can help"

Thanks guys!

dirtrider - I tried twisting the stand sideways, with the opposite side bolt out, but I couldn't exert enough force/torque on it to keep the inner bolt from spinning while I turned the pivot bushing from the outside. I'll try again with the bike on the center stand & see if maybe it will hold while under its own weight.

mrzoom - unfortunately, there's just not enough of the inner bolt protruding out from the beveled end on the stand arm to grab it with vice grips - maybe a millimeter (1/32") at most.

I just ordered a new (used) center stand, and it comes with all the mounting hardware - bolts, pivot bushings & springs. Would it be any simpler/easier/wiser to just cut the outside flange off the existing pivot bushing and push the remaining stub (with the bolt still attached) through the frame mounting hole to the inside? It'll obviously destroy the bushing, but since I'll have a replacement shortly, that won't matter.

Thanks guys!

dirtrider - I tried twisting the stand sideways, with the opposite side bolt out, but I couldn't exert enough force/torque on it to keep the inner bolt from spinning while I turned the pivot bushing from the outside. I'll try again with the bike on the center stand & see if maybe it will hold while under its own weight.

mrzoom - unfortunately, there's just not enough of the inner bolt protruding out from the beveled end on the stand arm to grab it with vice grips - maybe a millimeter (1/32") at most.

I just ordered a new (used) center stand, and it comes with all the mounting hardware - bolts, pivot bushings & springs. Would it be any simpler/easier/wiser to just cut the outside flange off the existing pivot bushing and push the remaining stub (with the bolt still attached) through the frame mounting hole to the inside? It'll obviously destroy the bushing, but since I'll have a replacement shortly, that won't matter.

Afternoon Qball 16

It will be very difficult to cut that outer flange away. Even if you could cut it away it away you might not be able to slide the stand off over the bushing due to stand angular concerns.

It would probably be much easier to just drill the bolt out of the outer bushing from the outside (core drill it in progressively larger drill bits). Once you get close to bolt diameter the bushing will probably turn off the bolt (or put a punch in the drilled hole & drive the remaining bolt inwards).

Yeah, that makes way more sense...

My initial concern around drilling the bolt from the outside was that I could end up mangling the threads on the bushing - but I've got a new one coming anyway, so mangle away!!!

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Done - drilled the bolt from the outside, without dropping the exhaust!

It was really only about 15-20 minutes of drilling, over the course of a little more an hour. Lots of breaks to let the drill & bit cool off, and my arm cramps to subside... Apparently, either my my aim was bad (very likely), or the bolt deflected the drill bit off line. I nicked the inside of the bushing with the drill bit, near the inboard edge, but got enough of the bolt to 'disengage' the threads & pop it out.

Regardless, the stand is now safely off and the weather is fantastic - I'm going for a RIDE!!!

Thanks again!!!